• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Guest Timetraveller

710 Shows No Respect

Guest Timetraveller

Recently out and about shopping and passed several gents ,all wearing Brietling ,rolex and then the last guy has a Pam chrono which i pointed out to the 710 -i was then subject to the imortal comment "o its just a watch " :inlove: :bangin: :whistle:

On a better note the post man tipped up a new Tuna before the 710 came back :naughty:.On the law of averages i hope to continue buying or having repaired watches sent to me for the mrs benefit :derisive: and she should be out when on 40 percent of them turn up :whistle:

God i love this women :wacko:

What the worst comment the the 710 has said about a watch?

Tony

The day I brought home my Breitling Super Avenger:

"Why would you want to spend close to £2000 on THAT? It does just the same as a £10 casio..."

She has since been treated with an intense programme of electro-shock therapy and now even if she doesn't appreciate them, she at least acknowledges nice watches...

Guest Timetraveller

She has since been treated with an intense programme of electro-shock therapy and now even if she doesn't appreciate them, she at least acknowledges nice watches... :rofl2: :rofl2:

ah, the age-old disapproval by our counterparts!

I've had "what do you need another bloody watch for?!"

"you don't wear the ones you've got now!"

"it's just a watch"

"there's no way I'd pay that much for a watch".

:inlove:

ah, the age-old disapproval by our counterparts!

I've had "what do you need another bloody watch for?!"

"you don't wear the ones you've got now!"

"it's just a watch"

"there's no way I'd pay that much for a watch".

:inlove:

Yes that all sounds very familiar , mind you I think i'm finally getting her round to my way of thinking :D

I was filling a form in and asked her the date... I had my Submariner on.

She promptly replied...

"All that money for a watch, and it doesn't have the date on??"

I had nothing!! :(

Can I just ask, when you refer to your other half as the 710, is that in reference to the joke about the blonde and the oil cap on a car ?

Edited by victor4620

I`ve got that many now as long as i can get it in the watch box without her seeing she would never know.Otherwise-----argue.gif

+1 for the stealth approach. I have been berated for having an addictive personality & being obsessed. I countered with "The same could be said of Facebook, X Factor. Strictly come whatsit et al Darling" I find it quite tranquil in the shed. :partytime:

My wife gave up noticing long ago, her last comment was "They all look the same" :whistle:

Edited by Stinch

Because men don't carry handbags. That's why I need another watch.

(Oh no, I've just had a thought. A women's handbag forum! Bring on the zombies, I think I could cope with them better!)

My girlfriend had the gall to say that all my watches look quite 'similar'. Admittedly there's a fair amount of 70s Omega in the box, they almost all have bracelets, and I do have a bad habit of buying one silver and one black dialed version of the same watch as I can't make up my mind. But with a mix of automatic, hand wound, f300, quartz, diver, dress and chronograph, with and without rotating bezel, with black, silver, blue and panda dials, and ranging from 34-41mm, 'similar' is a matter if opinion. 'Unobservant' is a word that springs to mind.

On the plus side, she wears a beautiful vintage seamaster, and when one of only 149 late model 40mm IWC Jumbo SL quartz 70s Ingenieurs came up on the bay last week, she actually said' 'why don't you buy it'! It pains me greatly to say that I didn't, but she still gets a LOT of points right there. I hope I get points for resisting.

If I notice someones watch, it has to be a *nudge he/she is wearing a (insert watch here)* Which then gets met with a disapproving look and "you and bloody watches!".

Or if im looking at them in a shop window i get "Don't go try them on, you have enough as it is" which I reply with, "I wear my watches more often than you wear your seven thousand shoes"

Argument won! :D

I think we all have had the odd silly comment about the price or design of our watches, i had a wife that threw 2 of my watches in the bin because she thought they were broken, 1 a seiko diver that my mother bought me for my birthday, the other a rolex oysterdate with a mcdonalds logo, but glad to say some of my watches have lasted longer than her!

"You could have spent that on me, instead of on ANOTHER BL**DY watch!"

"Yes, but this is fifty years old and still looks mint...."

Can I just ask, when you refer to your other half as the 710, is that in reference to the joke about the blonde and the oil cap on a car ?

Thanks for asking that! I've was wonderring the same...I shall be adopting this one into the vocabulary :)

The missus doesn't mention how much of my money I spend on watches if I don't mention how much of my money she spends on sodding Mulberry bags.

Suits me :)

I quite like that one can you get me a white/pink/yellow strap for it. Another one lost.

Kev

"It looks like the other ones." One night I took her on a guided tour of the subtle detailing of the Orient 2010 STI Limited Series I, interplay of brushed + polished, shape, bezel detailing. I was nice enough to pay attention without snoring or yawning.

Recent arrival of a Casio Riseman Gshock.

Wifes comment .... 'looks like something out of a kids lucky bag'

She could be right though as usual :(

Well I had this experience happened a while back and posted this in another forum.. For me it proves that however much we think of the 710 they are indeed a strange species

So hear we go. Over the years watches come, watches go, that is just the way it is.

And when I show a new watch to my wife. I receive a comment like “what do you need another watch for, you can only wear one at a time†or like when my rolly sub came, blue doesn’t suit you and you don’t have any blue shirts.Now don’t get this wrong my wife is fine with my hobby. and doesn’t moan about money spent although she cant see the point when you “can get a good watch down the town for £20â€

I will get to the point soon. So a few weeks ago I was looking in another forum and it has a affordable watches forum. And the guys in there are talking about Alpha watches so I thought I shall have to get one to see for myself only cost a few poundsI decide on the Alfa Daytona.

alpha3.jpg

The day it arrives I show it to my wife she says “That’s a nice watch†nothing about having enough watches or how much did that cost. Anyway, Due to this first time interest I start to tell her it’s a homage then answer the what is a homage watch she says so “its like a fake†yeh sort of says I then brief explanation as to the difference between homage and fake. I then tell her I got it for a few pounds and I shall use it as a beater (brief explanation as to what a beater is) surly not you will keep it for best wont you, no says I. This is where I am missing the point

“Why don’t you get a real one†says wife well says I because they costs thousands I don’t want to spend that muchon this type of watch there are other I have in mind says i. Well its better than warring a fake says she so am I missing the point a blue sub is awful because blue doesn’t suit me and I don’t wear blue but a rose gold homage is fine and, why not get a real one that cost thousands it just don’t make sense to me. Any you guys experience this sort of female confusion ?