• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Mechanical Alarm

Question About The Bay...

I was so tempted to pull the trigger on a watch tonight. I had a pretty healthy bid ready to hit the trigger on at the last seconds and just held myself back. I'm so proud of myself!

Why...?

Well, besides it was a real squeaker for the budget (okay - it was way over the budget), but I always have a look at the bid history and it just made me uncomfortable. There was a lot of bidders/bidding, but at the end (last couple of hours), it was really being jacked up by 2 bidders with less than 10 feedback (>5 actually) each. This makes me nervous as I am always leary of shill bidders that eBay can't detect and also I hate bidding against new bidders that may not know what they are doing. You know the, "I'm not going to let them get it" syndrome?

Any body else out there like this, or am I just paranoid?

I have a lot of experience on the bay and the bidder history always reveals a good story. There I go - giving away my secrets again.

Im the same, if im watching something in the dying seconds, ive been known to pay way over the odds, just so no-one else beats me

I only bid on items now ending within 10mins, or "buy now" newly listed items

I hate eBay, and especially hate PAYPAL, but that a different story

Hi Mechanical Alarm,

I am much the same way as you and I am pleased someone has taken the time to write about this.

I get seriously peeved by Bayer's bidding up an item in the last few hours and then going silent just before the bidding ends. But, I am not so sure its a sting op. In Oz we would call it 'come in spinner' (as in two up) and I think its more this than a deliberate shill bid. I think its a lure to get you in, just for the fun of it, or so it would seem. Its either this (bid you up for a laugh) or its inexperienced bidders trying to out do each other, like addicts at a fruit machine.

If its a bid you up for fun situation, then they need to be sure that you will still come in at the last minute and take the bait and bid higher. That’s a risk, as they can end up buying the item if you don't bid, so I discount this as the reason. I think its more the other, the inexperienced bidders, or maybe someone so cashed up on a bid that they are prepared to outbid everyone else to get the item. They probably even think its good value doing this! Why would you do this just hours out from a bid ending and not at the very end? Who knows, but they're out there.

Couple of checks on this that make it a little sweeter to accept and more understandable. I don't get too upset by low win scores, in fact, sometimes its great that others beat me to it by bidding the item up. It saves me time, cause if it goes above my budget I naturally lose interest in bidding and I run away. These bids can also expose a whole lot of dynamite maximum bids that you would not have known about until the last minutes of bidding, so you know before the end, and you can take appropriate action.

Look at the auto bids and you can see (in most cases) that the person seemingly bidding like a drunken sailor has in fact a very high max bid and someone else is testing the price against them. They come in too early perhaps in doing this but that’s how human nature works. I can attest to seeing this when bidding, with my own two eyes. Its like an itch you can't scratch for some people. They have to know before the bidding ends, how it will end......In tragedy unusually.

Finally, you probably did the right thing in resisting bidding at the last minute. You saved budget, which is important. Save today for another bid on another day. I bid my maximum and no more, always. I never go over, even on rare or unusual items that I just have to have. Bid your max and don't worry about the others out there. If they bid more that you and get the item, then they paid too much for it. Your max bid judged the correct value in your own mind and any higher is too much to pay. Which is why its good for others to expose hideously large max bids before you add your bid in.

I keep reminding myself when a bid goes bad, that they are only watches after all. But it is sad when you miss an item because others are silly with money.

Hope this helps.

You're right to be cautious, I am too but regards ebay I rarely get into a bidding war, I just place the highest amount I'm willing to go for a particular item or what I think it's worth and leave it, if I win, then a big hurrah for me, if not then it wasn't for me anyways :)

That method keeps me happy and I never second guess myself.

I have been using auction sniper for a while now. You set your limit and it places your bid x amount of seconds before the auction ends. You don't get into bidding wars and if the price goes above what I was willing to spend it means I don't get drawn in. Feel free to pm an email address and I'll send you the link. Swear by it!

You're right to be cautious, I am too but regards ebay I rarely get into a bidding war, I just place the highest amount I'm willing to go for a particular item or what I think it's worth and leave it, if I win, then a big hurrah for me, if not then it wasn't for me anyways :)

That method keeps me happy and I never second guess myself.

Ditto...

I used to sit and wait for auctions to end - usually getting into a bidding war and spending more than I wanted. Now I just log on a couple of times a week to see if I've won anything...

Hi Mechanical Alarm,

I'm exactly the same. I class myself as a little over cautious, but it's served me well up to now. I've reported around half a dozen people for obvious shill bidding over the years, but this is virtually impossible to do now that Ebay hide/encrypt peoples identities. When bidding, I set myself a limit and stick to it. Then I bet within the last three seconds. If my bid is beaten, I've no time to bid again, so don't fall into the trap of upping my bid.

Just remember - Even though you're not paranoid it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you :unsure:

My psychiatrist told me that I was paranoid. Well he didn't actually say that but I knew what he was thinking! :hypocrite:

Mike

I always set a limit, I dont trust e-bay, you never know if you are bidding against friends and family of the seller, alsdo if you win something for a low price they say its been lost in the post because they dont want to let it go, I had this once with a gucci bag, i got it to cheap and they didnt want to let it go :furious:

Guest avidfan

I always look at the bidding history and if the bidders id isn't shown I don't bid, why would you make an auction anonymous unless there's something to hide?

I really believe Ebay don't really care about shill bidding, or even the blatant counterfeit goods that are constantly on there. They still male their money, even more via paypal where final bids are artificially increased permaturely by the shill bidders. As has been said before, I tend to put my max bid on at the last few seconds and if I loose out - it's disappointment but keep my money for a better day. Recently lost out on a kayak that had a sudden bidding frenzy with 3 people with very low feedback 3 days in, then no intrest in the last 2 days. Very strange...

Easy way round all that, but takes discipline.

When you decide you want the item

Check the price with 10 mins to go, enter the bid price you are willing to pay, even if grossly over the odds.

Then forget it, until you get the e-mail telling the good or bad news.

You either win the item at the price you're willing to pay or less, or you don't.

A max bid entry, does not automatically mean eBay will take the lot, only the next $

If some novice or fool keeps bidding up, and goes over your limit, that's the discipline part, don't get auction fever.

Simple to do, harder to stick to

Easy way round all that, but takes discipline.

When you decide you want the item

Check the price with 10 mins to go, enter the bid price you are willing to pay, even if grossly over the odds.

Then forget it, until you get the e-mail telling the good or bad news.

You either win the item at the price you're willing to pay or less, or you don't.

A max bid entry, does not automatically mean eBay will take the lot, only the next $

If some novice or fool keeps bidding up, and goes over your limit, that's the discipline part, don't get auction fever.

Simple to do, harder to stick to

And never,never go on ebay when pi$$ed :wine:

eBay aren't remotely bothered about shill bidding as they rake more 'final value' fees from the sale.

I recently went 'straight to the 'Bay' with a watch as opposed to the forums and let me say that selling can be a major hassle! The eventual 'winner' had a location of USA, the automated email I received had a location in the UK and he wanted it shipping to Korea. May as well just send it without payment as opposed to go through the hassle of taking payment and then have a chargeback a week later :rolleyes: it didn't get sent. Sold privately.

I hate eBay, and especially hate PAYPAL, but that a different story

That must be the inspiration for your avatar!

Just remember - Even though you're not paranoid it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you :unsure:

My psychiatrist told me that I was paranoid. Well he didn't actually say that but I knew what he was thinking! :hypocrite:

Mike

I know exactly what you guys mean! I'm always looking over my shoulder!

Hi Mechanical Alarm,

I am much the same way as you and I am pleased someone has taken the time to write about this.

I get seriously peeved by Bayer's bidding up an item in the last few hours and then going silent just before the bidding ends. But, I am not so sure its a sting op. In Oz we would call it 'come in spinner' (as in two up) and I think its more this than a deliberate shill bid. I think its a lure to get you in, just for the fun of it, or so it would seem. Its either this (bid you up for a laugh) or its inexperienced bidders trying to out do each other, like addicts at a fruit machine.

If its a bid you up for fun situation, then they need to be sure that you will still come in at the last minute and take the bait and bid higher. That’s a risk, as they can end up buying the item if you don't bid, so I discount this as the reason. I think its more the other, the inexperienced bidders, or maybe someone so cashed up on a bid that they are prepared to outbid everyone else to get the item. They probably even think its good value doing this! Why would you do this just hours out from a bid ending and not at the very end? Who knows, but they're out there.

Couple of checks on this that make it a little sweeter to accept and more understandable. I don't get too upset by low win scores, in fact, sometimes its great that others beat me to it by bidding the item up. It saves me time, cause if it goes above my budget I naturally lose interest in bidding and I run away. These bids can also expose a whole lot of dynamite maximum bids that you would not have known about until the last minutes of bidding, so you know before the end, and you can take appropriate action.

Look at the auto bids and you can see (in most cases) that the person seemingly bidding like a drunken sailor has in fact a very high max bid and someone else is testing the price against them. They come in too early perhaps in doing this but that’s how human nature works. I can attest to seeing this when bidding, with my own two eyes. Its like an itch you can't scratch for some people. They have to know before the bidding ends, how it will end......In tragedy unusually.

Finally, you probably did the right thing in resisting bidding at the last minute. You saved budget, which is important. Save today for another bid on another day. I bid my maximum and no more, always. I never go over, even on rare or unusual items that I just have to have. Bid your max and don't worry about the others out there. If they bid more that you and get the item, then they paid too much for it. Your max bid judged the correct value in your own mind and any higher is too much to pay. Which is why its good for others to expose hideously large max bids before you add your bid in.

I keep reminding myself when a bid goes bad, that they are only watches after all. But it is sad when you miss an item because others are silly with money.

Hope this helps.

Hi Mechanical Alarm,

I'm exactly the same. I class myself as a little over cautious, but it's served me well up to now. I've reported around half a dozen people for obvious shill bidding over the years, but this is virtually impossible to do now that Ebay hide/encrypt peoples identities. When bidding, I set myself a limit and stick to it. Then I bet within the last three seconds. If my bid is beaten, I've no time to bid again, so don't fall into the trap of upping my bid.

I'm no novice to the bay and I never put in an early bid - early being longer than the last 10 seconds. I have used a sniper sw for many years but if I am at the computer and have no interruptions... it's still kinda fun to put that bid in manually at the last seconds. As I always put in a high maximum I never worry about getting into bidding wars. I have set a max and stick with it. Like so many have said... if it was meant to be... Or, maybe someone just wanted it more than I did. I get a kick outta people saying I was out bid by $1 (or a £1) at the last second. No..., you were simply outbid by the next highest bidder that probably had a lot more in his proxy left and that was the next highest increment. He walked away a happy camper because he got it for less than his maximum. In the very rare case, yes, they bid one increment higher than you - RARE. And we all know how 'rare' things are on eBay.

I said that I was watching it because it looked like it was a new "Grail" that I didn't know about (I'm sure everyone on here has had those). I just noticed that the 'new' bidders were bidding the crap outta it. So, that is what raised the flags. If I want something I'm going to put in a pretty healthy bid and probably own it, also, like I mentioned... it was way over my budget to begin with. It was one of those 'goddhaveits'. I was just put off by what was going on. I was thinking if I hadn't looked at the bids, it would probably be winging it's way to me right now and I would be none the wiser and in a butt load of trouble, trying to sell a bunch of watches, that I really didn't want to..., real quick! Now, I know, nearly everyone on here has gone over budget on a watch before!! Just read the for sale section. Nearly everyone is trying to turn a watch because they have another one coming in! Many are trying to sell several because they have been overextended. I just think I knew in my heart that I shouldn't be spending the money and this was such a different watch that the OIL would have surely noticed it!! Man, there would have been hell to pay..., as I just read her the riot act about her and purses!

So thanx for everyone's input and I know for a fact, through others, that eBay is doing everything they can to stop those practices... it is tough, but as best they can, they are trying. Maybe they only get the obvious, but it helps.

Oh... one last thing. This could probably be a whole new topic in itself: Why would anyone put in an early proxy bid??!! There will always be some one who comes along and slowly chips away at you as your proxy gets eaten alive and you are left in the dust. These are where you see the auto bids come in, as some yahoo just keeps bumping your bids till he gets you with the last smallest increment. If you would have sniped it - you would probably have gotten it for a lot less than your proxy. That guy that just kept bumping you a little bit at a time would have probably never gone as high as he did. That's the auction game and mentality they are hoping for. My 2¢ worth.. but I always give more...

. This makes me nervous as I am always leary of shill bidders that eBay can't detect and also I hate bidding against new bidders that may not know what they are doing. You know the, "I'm not going to let them get it" syndrome?

Any body else out there like this, or am I just paranoid?

If suspicious about shill bidding click on the bids and then the bidder that concerns you and it will show that bidders activity with that seller. If they have 5 feedback but have bid with that seller loads of times you know you have a shill.

Hope that helps.

Alasdair

Oh... one last thing. This could probably be a whole new topic in itself: Why would anyone put in an early proxy bid??!!

As an incentive to the seller, to reject any under-handed low-ball offers he might receive to end an auction early. :lookaround:

It doesn't always work as a stategy. I myself have had reasonably high bids cancelled in the past. :thumbsdown:

This was a recent example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&nma=true&rt=nc&item=130518827211&pt=Wristwatches&si=SH3ZuYhAM7aZ8DeNTgQukupLQ5w%253D&vi - read the RED TEXT (added later) at the bottom.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan