• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Billyloves2boogie

What Would You Buy For £4K

Thank you for all the input much appreciated. The more i pick up & become educated through the forum the more i am tempted to go with something a little more individual & custom. Veering towards either an Enzo or a VDB at the moment so any info on those would be gratefully recieved.

Guest Telford

Thank you for all the input much appreciated. The more i pick up & become educated through the forum the more i am tempted to go with something a little more individual & custom. Veering towards either an Enzo or a VDB at the moment so any info on those would be gratefully recieved.

I know it is late but a Plat full size Rolex Yachtmaster maybe???

Just checked autotrader, there's a '79 Cream Mercedes-Benz 350SL, or a 03 Red Mazda RX8 or even a '89 Green Land Rover Defender Diesel with just 130,000 miles all close by.

If you are going to waste it on a car and are looking at a RX8 then let me know. I have a 34k 231ps version with all the right options on a 54 plate that you could have for £4k. I've only had it a few months but i need more boot space for the long airport runs I am doing more of nowdays

Written from Tanzania!

Anyone got a non rusty S class about 2001 for Circa 4k? The ones i have seen are rusty as a ford orion!

A pal of mine has got a couple of S classes for sale. PM me tommorow to remind me and I will phone him for details.

If I had 4 grand to spend on a watch, I would buy this and pocket £50 change;

IWC025.jpg

I know it's a bit more than you wanted to spend, however if your only going to buy one watch for the next 20 years or so, you may as well go that extra.

How about this one? I have never liked gold on watches but for some reason this one just looks right, you could wear this with a suit or jeans and it wouldn't look out of place, and I don't think it would age either, just my thoughts.

Oyster-Perpetual-GMT-Master-II-M.jpg

I know it's a bit more than you wanted to spend, however if your only going to buy one watch for the next 20 years or so, you may as well go that extra.

How about this one? I have never liked gold on watches but for some reason this one just looks right, you could wear this with a suit or jeans and it wouldn't look out of place, and I don't think it would age either, just my thoughts.

Oyster-Perpetual-GMT-Master-II-M.jpg

Nice thought, a good friend of mine has the blue faced tt sub & it's a great looking watch, but for some reason i just cant gel with the gold. My worry is that the Rolex will disappoint, i could only afford the pre ceramic bezel's & after handling a sub & GMT i was unhappy with the feel & quality especially of the bracelet when compared to my omega's (& fail to see why they should justify almost double the price of their equivalent Omega model?). I know the new ones have addressed these issues & are much better but then they are also out of my price range. So i guess i would only really be buying one for the kudos of owing a "Rollie". One of the reasons for starting this thread was to get some input on what else was out there at this price point as a comparison & for inspiration. I had no idea there were so many beautiful watches at this level. I now admit to being more confused than ever, the more i see & hear the more i like. I am beginning to realise that personal satisfaction will probably rank higher for me than brand Kudos.

Edited by Billyloves2boogie

... I am beginning to realise that personal satisfaction will probably rank higher for me than brand Kudos.

DING DING DING. :sly: You get it now. Don't worry about what people will think of what's on your wrist, think of what you'd like to look at, appreciate, admire, and look forward to wearing any time, any place. Some of those mentioned, I'd be a bit wary of wearing in some circumstances, and might diminish my personal satisfaction in the watch.

My £4G would be going on a Rolex all day long.

Lots of advice in this thread, but it has to be a combination of a lot of things - durability, how it looks now and in 20 years time, how much you will wear it, how much the resale is, do you want people to notice it, do you like classic or new etc etc....... The beauty of watches is that there's something for everyone.

I bought my Rolex because I wanted a Rolex. It was the first watch I bought, and yes, I don't care what's been said before, we ALL buy watches because of what other people will think, the difference is between walking down the street and Joe bloggs going "nice Rolex" or is it just for "those who know" that will appreciate a vintage, model XYZ with a rare dial that they only made 25 of, be it a Rolex or a Casio.

If you ask me there's nothing worse than having to explain why you bought something, I have a friend at work with a Chrysler cross fire.......... Did you know that underneath that body shell it's a Mercedes SLK, but for half the price????.

No, just buy what makes you horney and then you won't have to go explaining to the world and his brother the reasoning behind it - did you know that this watch has the same movement as a so and so???

From the tone of your post you obviously have had this windfall and want to spend it, so if you're planning to keep the watch make sure what ever you buy, you like!!!!!! And you WILL keep. My brother and I came into about £2K each about 6 years back. That pretty much paid for a Pasha (I got a good discount) which I still have and is probably still worth a bob or two. My brother put it towards some nutter turbo fast car which he spent a lot of money keeping on the road and has subsequently sold for one hell of a loss. Remember the old saying, buy in haste, repent at leisure.

I personally wouldn't be that worried about buying a new Rolex either, I bought my GMT for £2350 10 years ago, and I dread to think what the same watch would cost now, so if you're talking about keeping it for a while it will make no difference.

PM22 (drunk)

I purchased this

8b5a89ea.jpg

That's a very good looking watch, nice choice, wouldn't have thought of that :good:!

I think I would have gone for an Omega Railmaster :man_in_love:.

The rest of the money would be spent on getting my cars sorted out :to_become_senile:.

I purchased this

8b5a89ea.jpg

That's a very good looking watch, nice choice, wouldn't have thought of that :good:!

I think I would have gone for an Omega Railmaster :man_in_love:.

The rest of the money would be spent on getting my cars sorted out :to_become_senile:.

Yes the SOHC fine looking watch, i have the SOH a watch with presence and class, i love the mesh bracelet, looks good on the ocean diver as well

merc

How about a Zenith El Primero.. good choice of styles, to me you'll be paying for a high quality movement and not a average watch with a huge marketing budget behind it..well, I got this one last week for £4,100 new..

Zenith1004.jpg

How about a Zenith El Primero.. good choice of styles, to me you'll be paying for a high quality movement and not a average watch with a huge marketing budget behind it..well, I got this one last week for £4,100 new..

Zenith1004.jpg

Great choice,super watch with an equally stunning movement inside,what a beauty! :man_in_love:

£4000 would buy me a very nice,stunning condition early antique pocket watch...but i think i may be on my own with that choice.. :weed:

:lol:

quote name='sam.' date='23 June 2011 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1308858869' post='675661']

Great choice,super watch with an equally stunning movement inside,what a beauty! :man_in_love:

:thumbsup:

Zenith1005.jpg

quote name='sam.' date='23 June 2011 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1308858869' post='675661']

Great choice,super watch with an equally stunning movement inside,what a beauty! man_in_love.gif

thumbsup.gif

Zenith1005.jpg

What else is there to say?!notworthy.gif A picture does tell a thousand words happy.gif

Well, following on from my previous comments, I have gone and put a deposit on.... A Mazda RX-8 :thumbsup:

I'm having it delivered next thursday, ready for a trip to Goodwood Festival of Speed over the weekend - Woohoo! :yahoo:

glad you got it, and it got you to Goodwood

keep your foot down until you hear the beep!

(my replacement needs new brake pipes and a new ball joint - £600! Should have stuck with Japanese reliability...)

So I'm late. Sorry.

The watch would be the Rollie green glass Milgauss. At least while it is still possible to get one for under 4k.

The car, well I did have a 3k windfall last year and went and got a W reg Jeep Cherokee because we were going on holiday to North Devon and then to Spain and well, I wanted it. It has a 4 litre engine left over from the 1970s when the American's didn't care about oil prices so I can't afford to drive it much and leaf spring rear suspension so it feels like a horse and cart but I am getting a lot of fun out of it.

And for the what watch floats your boat thing, I got a Kemmner last year because it looks a lot like a Stowa which I decided I couldn't afford and has the same movement and the fact that that is so, and it is rarer and it has the same movement as some of the Panerai range does make me smile.

I'll get my coat.