• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
pauluspaolo

Bug Photos

Just now, Roger the Dodger said:

Nice shots, Dave!:thumbsup:

Thanks Rog.  Unfortunately, me, the camera and the sun were around the wrong way.

So, go on...which particular flavour of Dragonfly is he?

From the shape of its body, ie. long and thin, it's a 'Hawker'. Unfortunately, excellent as your pics are, no colours are apparent, apart from a dull yellowish in the second shot. We tend to have three types here in the UK...Hawkers, which are the usual ones you see in beautiful colours, usually blue, emerald green, or brown,....Chasers, which are short and squat...the males being bright electric blue, and the females yellowish, and the Darters, much smaller and usually red in colour. 

The Damsel and Damoiselle flies belong to a different order.

This site will help with ID....
http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/content/uk-species

You guessed it...these days, there's a site for everything.....!

• Like 1

From the shape of its body, ie. long and thin, it's a 'Hawker'. Unfortunately, excellent as your pics are, no colours are apparent, apart from a dull yellowish in the second shot. We tend to have three types here in the UK...Hawkers, which are the usual ones you see in beautiful colours, usually blue, emerald green, or brown,....Chasers, which are short and squat...the males being bright electric blue, and the females yellowish, and the Darters, much smaller and usually red in colour. 

The Damsel and Damoiselle flies belong to a different order.

This site will help with ID....
http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/content/uk-species

You guessed it...these days, there's a site for everything.....!

That's strange....my edit has run out very quickly....it used to be there all the time...hey ho...here's a few pics of some that have come my way...
A blue hawker...
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af173/RGarraway/Flora and fauna/043.jpg

and a red darter..
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af173/RGarraway/Flora and fauna/012-3.jpg

...and PB is playing up again and not rendering the pics......bugger!

Thanks Rog :notworthy:

I'd say you're right, he was definitely brown and quite a big fella.  Here's a couple of shots with a little more light on him..

DSC01823.png

DSC01836.png

It seems to be a good match with a Norfolk Hawker from your site.  He had bright green eyes and no blue on him.  Interestingly, their description is:

"Endangered. In South-east England.  Brown with a yellow triangle on S2 and bright green eyes.  Wings clear other than a small orange suffusion at base."

http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/content/hawkers-and-similar-species

If it is one of them, they are thriving in south west Essex!

Aeshna%20isosceles%20f%20Damian%20Pingue

Usually, as in nature, the drab coloured specimens are females....the brightly coloured ones being males (think 'Peacock') so I reckon that's a female hawker youv'e pictured. The pic in your post above is a male, I think, because of the clasper appendages at the base of the tail. These are used to hold the female in position during the mating ritual.

• Like 1

Dirty buggers.

It seemed to match the description of a Norfolk Hawker from your site (brown, green eyes, orange hue at the base of the wings) and didn't seem to match the Brown Hawkers here: http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/species/brown-hawker  Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot of it's back so don't know if it had the green triangle on it's back.

It was interesting to read that the Norfolk Hawker is endangered and their map suggests they are at least a little more widespread than they think.  Or am I reading it wrong?

http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/species/norfolk-hawker

5 minutes ago, Krispy said:

Dirty buggers.

It seemed to match the description of a Norfolk Hawker from your site (brown, green eyes, orange hue at the base of the wings) and didn't seem to match the Brown Hawkers here: http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/species/brown-hawker  Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot of it's back so don't know if it had the green triangle on it's back.

It was interesting to read that the Norfolk Hawker is endangered and their map suggests they are at least a little more widespread than they think.  Or am I reading it wrong?

http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/species/norfolk-hawker

Now you see why I love my job out in the open countryside and not sat in an office looking at a PC screen all day! Yeah!:thumbsup:

....but ..I do really appreciate all the hard work and effort that goes into running and keeping this forum going....'Horses for courses' as they say !

Edited by Roger the Dodger

I have just come upon this marvellous thread and I am fascinated by all the pictures. If this thread was a photo competition, I would find it hard to anounce my favourite pic, but I think the award might go that fantastic ultra closeup of the Maybug/Cockchafer by Roger. The detail is staggering. Thanks for all the pleasure folks.:teethsmile:

• Like 1

I don't mind outdoors spiders too much, I can just run away. When they're indoors though, that's when I start panicking.

Not sure if I posted this before, but I'd have loved to have been hooked up to an EEG when I took this one. Had to sit down afterwards to control the shaking, but have to try and deal with my phobia somehow, and apparently exposure therapy is a valid treatment (b****** it is!)

IMAG2272_zps9qbs3sxk.jpg

9 minutes ago, hughlle said:

I don't mind outdoors spiders too much, I can just run away. When they're indoors though, that's when I start panicking.

Not sure if I posted this before, but I'd have loved to have been hooked up to an EEG when I took this one. Had to sit down afterwards to control the shaking, but have to try and deal with my phobia somehow, and apparently exposure therapy is a valid treatment (b****** it is!)

IMAG2272_zps9qbs3sxk.jpg

You know they crawl over your face at night and drink your saliva while you're asleep, right? :)

I used to have a bit of a thing about creepy crawlies too - couldn't be in the same room as a moth when I was a kid.  But then my old man explained to me, very simply, that they are more scared of you then you are of them.

Anyway - spiders are the one creature I don't evict as they are a housekeepers friend.  They eat all the nasty, disease spreading toerags so they're OK by me.  A few spiders and a bloodthirsty cat keep the vermin away.

• Like 1

Just now, Krispy said:

You know they crawl over your face at night and drink your saliva while you're asleep, right? :)

I used to have a bit of a thing about creepy crawlies too - couldn't be in a room as a moth when I was a kid.  But then my old man explained to me, very simply, that they are more scared of you then you are of them.

Anything that can coordinate that many legs should not be trusted :) 

And alas I'm all to aware. Had a very traumatizing night when I was a bit younger. Was lying in bed, and felt a tickling, popped the bedside light on and saw one of those crawling over my chest, I near had a panic attack. so went and spent the rest of the night in a spare bedroom, and a few hours later, same tickling, at which point I lost it. Hurled myself out of bed to find it was my cat curled up under the duvet tickling me with her whiskers :( she wasn't impressed.

And not a bug any more, but when I found hundreds of these all over the plants in the pond, was pretty amazed. Some alien vs predator **** right there.

SAM_1258_zps9lowk6ui.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/5/2016 at 14:22, Krispy said:

That's a mean looking bit of kit - do you know what it is?

Hugh's right, Dave ...it's the cast skin of a dragonfly nymph. Tha dragonfly spends several years underwater as a 'nymph', shedding it's skin as it grows bigger. When the last stage is reached, the nymph climbs up a reed stem and the adult emerges from a split down the nymph's back. At first, the wings are all crumpled and soft, but after a couple of hours of having blood pumped into them, they are expanded and dry, and the adult dragonfly is able to fly off.

Image result for dragonfly emerging from nymph
Image result for dragonfly emerging from nymph

The nymphs are verocious feeders on small fish fry, tadpoles, and other small invertibrates which they catch using an extendable jaw called the mask...
Image result for dragonfly nymph jaws

This is a nymph that I found in the pond at work while pond dipping one day...
large.029_zps0mw0o7ub.jpg.fa998def30b5d5b998dd42791ee9ba8d.jpg

• Like 4

Just trying to get back into macro photography found this from a couple of years back was taken with Canon 60mm macro lens.

035.jpg

• Like 2

I have a few insect pictures, some from the UK and others from the Middle East.

_AJ00459.jpg

Hover fly (UK)

AJD_2778_800.jpg

Hover fly (Bahrain)

AJD_2934_800.jpg

Huge wasp, surrounded by bees. (Bahrain)

AJD_3194_800w.jpg

Clouded yellow (Bahrain)

• Like 2

Our pond at work is drying up again (this happens every year, because the pond level is the water table level) and I was netting out some of the 200 odd crucian carp to transfer to a holding tank, when a Southern Hawker Dragonfly put in an appearance. I actually caught him in the fish net, and took a quick couple of pics on my phone before releasing safely.

57cdc807499cf_large.20160905_2008211.jpg

57cdc7bfe29b4_large.20160905_2009531.jpg

• Like 2

In the garden today no idea can't find it in my very basic book, about the size of a pinhead

Spidy small

Also got this happy chappie sorting out packed lunch

packed Lunch

Kev

• Like 1

Crane fly (Order: Diptera, Family: Tipulidae).  Hundreds of them these days. They don't last long. Not dangerous but a real pest when you mow.

IMG_0002_zpsk9fklc0s.jpg

Apply nematodes during September/October to larvae (leatherjacket), no chemical available for homeowners at present.

A friendly licensed horticulturist may help with chemical treatment....nudge, nudge?

Hope this helps

Alan

Ok....not my pic...stolen from the other side, and one of the 'Leenks' pics. 

Regulars will know how I keep banging on about how clever insects are at camouflage, and somewhere in the back pages are some pics of Cicadas that are masters of disguise.

But this chap must really take the prize at camouflage/evolution whatever you want to call it. This diguise is awesome, and before you ask me if it's photoshopped.....no it isn't. This is a real 'Leaf insect' complete with shape, veining and brown bits round the edges to complete the illusion.To put it into context, how many millenia and generations have passed for this insect to have developed this level of superb camo....? Remember what Charles Darwin said....only the fittest survive...........
Leaf insect.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2016 at 21:15, BlueKnight said:

Crane fly (Order: Diptera, Family: Tipulidae).  Hundreds of them these days. They don't last long. Not dangerous but a real pest when you mow.

IMG_0002_zpsk9fklc0s.jpg

A superb photo, Mike, and clearly shows the modified hind wings, or 'halteres' as they are  known to us entomologists. These are the two club like appendages showing below the forewings. Not many other insects have these modifications, and they act like tiny gyroscopes, whirling around to stabilize the insect in flight. Crane flies are notorious for having a bumbling, incoherent flight pattern anyway, but if the halteres are removed ( an experiment that we had to complete at college), their flight becomes almost impossible, as they can't balance or stabilize themselves.

I know I haven't explained it very well.......I have had a few Bombays, I'll let you know!.....but a little more info here if you're interested/can be arsed!:laugh:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halteres

...and if you read all the way to the end of that, you're definitely on your way to being an entomologist.....!:thumbsup:

Edited by Roger the Dodger

12 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

A superb photo, Mike, ..but a little more info here if you're interested/can be arsed!:laugh:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halteres

...and if you read all the way to the end of that, you're definitely on your way to being an entomologist.....!:thumbsup:

Thanks Roger. I went to bed less stupid last night reading the link.    smartass_zpsbbrebrkv.gif   he he......

• Like 1