• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
pauluspaolo

Bug Photos

Denise Richards with a big gun..mmmmm.....Sorry...got a bit pervy then... :lol:

No you didn't... but you'll be in your mind after this one...

ghughokl.jpg

...not a bug but I'm sure you guys won't mind :russian:

Oh...she definitely wants it.........................................................................................but probably not from me............loser-1.gif

Hoverfly, on the wing.

Lucky you!

I got one back in the 90s in flight by pure luck and a lot of wasted film... I have since lost the photograph and all other means to prove it... :wallbash:

Tony

Hoverfly again, I prefer this shot, its got a bit more attitude, shame I didn't have the sun in my favour, also it's not quite in focus.

That's pretty cool Matt!

Tony

Just back from a week in Portugal...early in the season, so not much about. Starting with a wasp that looks like a hover fly?????.....

SAM_3632.jpg

A jumping spider....with very white, and eye-like pedipalps....

SAM_3617.jpg

An immature Preying Mantis (I reckon about 2nd instar..so three to go before adulthood) about an inch long (25mm). You can tell it's a juvenile, because it has no wings.....only adults have wings.

SAM_3576.jpg

Had a large Dragon Fly come in through the greenhouse window at work today...so took a few shots of it....

043.jpg

045.jpg

044.jpg

046.jpg

041.jpg

Safely released after the pics were taken. :)

I'm new to this thread - don't know how it passed me by. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting. And thanks especially to Roger for the pics and more so for the informative extras that make me wish I'd paid more attention in biology lessons. Keep em coming.

Just back from another week in the Algarve...not many bugs this time...too hot, but the Cicadas loved the heat and sang loudly every day. They are very well camouflaged against the tree trunks and stop singing as soon as they hear/see you approach. However a bit of patient searching eventually found a few specimens to photograph. I have tried an experiment by recording a video to try and capture the sound...and uploading it to Photobucket (It's the last pic). If you click on the pic, it should link you the vid..where you can view it as normal. It's not a cinematic masterpiece...it's just so you can hear the sound. Turn the volume up! Hope it works!

Hard to spot!...

066.jpg

Quite a large insect...

076.jpg

072.jpg

075.jpg

Video clip (Click on pic)

th_099.jpg

Hard to spot!...

066.jpg

Truly brilliant pics - especially ^^^

Hard to spot, you're not kidding.

Over the years, I've heard them many times, never seen one, always assumed they were on the ground [presumably that accounts for never spotting one!].

Edited by langtoftlad

Went to move one of the bikes yesterday afternoon and noticed what I thought was a blade of grass on the front tyre. Luckily, I took a closer look...

c3f55553.jpg

It's a Prickly Stick-insect (Acanthoxyla geisovii) and originally came from New Zealand species of stick-insects, or phasmids (from the Greek ‘phasma’ meaning phantom or apparition).

7d213e0a.jpg

They first arrived in the south-west of England when plants, including Tree Ferns, from New Zealand were shipped to nurseries here. have become naturalised in the UK over the last 100 years, and almost all are in south west England.

8dee96a5.jpg

I took him inside for a bit of a warm-up, as the weather turns cooler, stick insects venture out onto south-facing walls to bask in the sun. This enables them to maintain their body temperature. Most of them die off in the first autumn frosts, but some individuals will survive the winter.

1c88461e.jpg

b93c66f5.jpg

R

Edited by ralphy

Remember this chap who paid me a visit at work few weeks ago....?

043.jpg

Well...a couple more popped in today...a big brown one, and a small red one...so a few more pics had to be taken...

015-3.jpg

007-2.jpg

Wing veining detail...

009-3.jpg

Small red...

012-3.jpg

014-2.jpg

some cracking photos roger, esp like the preying mantis as i used to keep/breed different varieties of them yrs ago , being almost white it must have not long moulted , facinating insects to watch /keep (and vicious little buggers) .

Edited by pugster

Nice Bumble bee, Matt....snapped this lovely undamaged small Tortoiseshell butterfly on Buddleja today....

025-1.jpg

It's only when you study these pics closely, that you start to notice things you never saw before....those blue scallops around the wing edges are awesome.....sorry...I'm raving a bit...

It's only when you study these pics closely, that you start to notice things you never saw before....

Yes, like the little bug on the other side to the fly in this one, I never saw this when I pressed the buttonP1020862.JPG

Edited by MattTheBass

Caught this caterpillar on the roses this evening, there were two.... Very colourful ....

Any ideas what it is ?

img1472fe.jpg

img1470yl.jpg

It's a Vapourer moth caterpillar, Jason....newly changed into it's final skin...that's why it's so bright. In a couple of days, the colours will have darkened, like this one that I shot back at the beginning of this thread...also on a rose bush.

Caterpillars002.jpg

This is an unusual moth in that only the males have wings...the females have no wings and can't fly. They emerge from their cocoon, attract a male with pheromone scent, mate, lay their eggs on the empty cocoon case and die. See here for more details.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Roger the Dodger