• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
pauluspaolo

Bug Photos

This one nearly landed in someone's Accutron this afternoon! And I need to clean my windows... :wallbash:

bug.jpg

Nice example of a Wasp Beetle.....named for obvious reasons, and perfectly harmless. Here.

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Gorgeous photos BK, what post production software are you using?? (also what camera and lens setup :yes: )

Here's my bug offerings with a twist

Ant-2_zpsd7144227.jpg

P1131038-Copy640x471.jpg

Ah, seems the 3rd one didn't work.

Gorgeous photos BK, what post production software are you using?? (also what camera and lens setup :yes: )

Thanks mate! Nothing special really. I use a Canon EOS T1i with the supplied 18-55mm lens. And I use the basic Picasa software, a steady hand and lots of luck...eh eh. :)

Walking lunchtime to get away from the desk I was messing with my iphone and captured this bug. No idea what it is but guess nothing special :)

cbe855c76ff0a8b33457f9ea6e340972.jpg

cheers

b

great pics as always folks, keep them coming, the above insect looks like some sort of assasin bug with those mouthparts , if it is the little buggers can give you a pretty nasty bite.

This (hopefully) is going to be another long running experiment. Yesterday, I found an egg of the Puss Moth on a willow tree at work. A little searching found the young caterpillar a bit further up the branch. The reason this will be a good subject is that the Puss Moth has a very spectacular caterpillar. It will get quite large, and in its last moult, will have an unusual bright pink 'face' with false eye spots. At the tail end, the last pair of psuedo feet are modified into 'flails'. When disturbed, the larva rears up and waves these flails about, whilst extending two red whip like filaments from each one. It can also spray formic acid from a gland on its head. I'll keep an eye on this larva, and hopefully see it through to pupation and emergence as an adult moth. More details here

The egg...you can see the hole where the larva emerged...the tiny dimple to the right of the hole is where the male's sperm entered the egg during mating.

004_zpsee4ad41c.jpg

The larva...at the moment it's only about 3/4" long, but will eventually reach about 2 1/2" .

006_zpsc0074082.jpg

005_zps4e95682d.jpg

Here's a YouTube vid of a young larva displaying the whips on its tail.

Here he is 2 days later, and doubled in size...look at his size in relation to the (similar) sized leaf, compared to the last set of pics.

002_zps4f39b4d6.jpg

...and here, after another 2 days, he's ready to moult into a bigger skin.

008_zpse763880a.jpg

Here, he's spun a pad of silk to anchor the old skin to, in order that he can crawl out of it when it splits.

011_zpsd572e6ed.jpg

...finally, he contracts his body (note how the head is protruding due to internal pressure) in order to split the skin, which will start at the head. By tomorrow, he should have completed this.

014_zps62351abb.jpg

Here he is 2 days later, and doubled in size...look at his size in relation to the (similar) sized leaf, compared to the last set of pics.

This is better than National Geographic...! :kewlpics:

Sorry to interrupt Rogers great thread but I found this on the path outside our house this morning. It was very much alive & would have been trodden on I'm sure so I transferred him(?) to a nearby wall. Apparently it's an Elephant Hawk Moth - quite a common species though I've never seen one before & the colours (green & pink) were absolutely stunning - it's not the best photo but I was running a bit late so it was taken in haste.

Moth01_zps35374b8f.jpg

No photos unfortunately but I was down at the campus pond yesterday & there was a Broad Bodied Chaser dragonfly zooming about - again a beautiful colour (bluey violet) - I tried to take a photo but it wouldn't let me get anywhere near it :( It did a few flypasts though & it made a deep drone as it went by.

Why aren't all summers like this? :)

Edited by pauluspaolo

Just to recap...last night before I left work, the Puss moth larva was preparing to shed its skin into its final instar before pupation. As mentioned before, the head is pushed forward by internal pressure, and will split to reveal the final stage.

001_zps098aa7d4.jpg

This morning, this had taken place, and the final stage revealed. Note how much bigger the head is now...it looks disproportionally large at then moment, but in a few days, the larva will have increased in size, and will look normal.

010_zps20c451dc.jpg

015_zps6e194472.jpg

018_zps5c0261f5.jpg

Two more days on, and he's doubled in size again...

011_zps65079c73.jpg

023_zps9515acc9.jpg

I love the 'cartoon like' smiley face...though the eyespots are just markings, and the 'mouth' is actually the gland that squirts formic acid at predators.

007_zps00a0c6d3.jpg

OK...so 12 days ago, this little chap looked like this...

005_zps4e95682d.jpg

....now, he's as big as my little finger....

006_zps6785059c.jpg

003_zps1f96428f.jpg

009_zps29c08279.jpg

I don't think it'll be long before pupation. Keep you posted.

Yep...the male moths antennae are always more highly developed than the females...to detect the pheromones that the females release to attract a mate...here's a pair of Eyed Hawk moths that have just emerged from a couple of overwintered pupae that I kept...you can see the male (bottom right) and his feathered antennae. In this pic, the female has already laid a couple of eggs on the twigs provided for wing expansion.

002-2.jpg

Some old pics,

IMG_0578sm.jpgshop034.jpg

DSC01064.jpg

Whoa.....those are are some seriously nasty bugs...reminds me of the time I spent in Iraq.........some seriously nasty bugs there...Solifugids, or Sand spiders as they're known, are pretty savage....preferring to run their prey down...one similar to this (that I had captive in Iraq) completley shredded a mole cricket in about 30 seconds.

sun-scorpion_786_600x450_zps8fb0d344.jpg