• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
pauluspaolo

Bug Photos

Back to the Puss moth, and after the weekend, there're big changes. The colour has changed over the last two days, and he's now searching for a place to pupate. Normally, Puss moth larvae incorporate chewed bark from the food plant into the cocoon in order to camouflage it. Hopefully, this will be the next stage.

This was last Friday...

006_zps6785059c.jpg

The colour has changed dramatically, to a deep purple shade.

010_zpsa130114b.jpg

...and the larva has contracted and become shorter and tighter...a sure sign that pupation is imminent.

009_zpsb6c2a256.jpg

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Hi

mine made this cocoon before pupating out of chewed bits of wood an silk. It was rock hard and very camouflaged.

Neil

999064_10201710621510575_1039721243_n.jpg

Edited by Snapper

I know these aren't bugs...but they eat bugs and I can't be arsed to start a new topic!

We were wondering around Saddlescombe Farm yesterday which is only 2-3 miles from where we live and there were house martins flying in and out of an old barn. Only had my mobile phone but managed to take a photo of where all the noise was coming from :)

House%20Martin%20Chicks%201.jpg

House%20Martin%20Chicks%202.jpg

Hi I would say that is a Swallows nest and it is typical Swalliw nesting area

Neil

My wife, who is a bit of a ornithologist, says the parents were definitely not swallows. I'm not about to disagree with her :no:

Whilst digging the new border at work, I unearthed this Cockchafer larva...not a very pleasant looking beastie, but still worth a look, as they're not often seen.

020_zpsb3d74473.jpg

028_zps9d51dfc2.jpg

025_zps345b69cf.jpg

For more info and a look at the familiar adult Cockchafer (or Maybug) have a look here.

While cutting the Box bushes to day, I came across several batches of common Garden Spider spiderlings which had just hatched out. These always facinate me as when you touch them, the spiderlings all run off in different directions, only to re-congregate a few minutes later....must be the old 'safety in numbers' trick.

Spiderlings all grouped together...

004_zpsb9961511.jpg

...and when disturbed....'Quick! Run away!'

009_zps52c7c79a.jpg

Just back frrom a week in Menorca, and a couple of things I spotted. Firstly, a Rhinoceros beetle that was under a Fig tree..

075_zpsd14a6b34.jpg

065_zpse17d20e7.jpg

070_zps11615cb2.jpg

...and secondly, an Italian Wall lizard...very common on walls and rocks in Menorca. Sorry for the quality, these were taken at full 18x zoom, as these lizards won't let you get within about 10 feet (3m) of them.

081_zps87a219d1.jpg

080_zps9e204a49.jpg

Landed on my Poljot just as I was taking a photo. What are the chances of that happening?

wasp.jpg

It's better than landing on your can of Fosters just as you are having a drink!! Right on the top lip , bloody hurt.

Wow, what a thread!

I do apologise for not getting quite the way through it all but I did my best. I do want to thank Roger the Dodger specially for not only providing masses of wonderful photographs but also for giving snippets of useful and fascinating information. How you do it Rog, with your busy job on the estate, I don't know :)

A couple captured today in the hot sunshine....firstly the 'Comma' butterfly. Some time ago, I took this pic of a Comma on Buddleja.

Caterpillars071.jpg

At the time, I wanted to show why this butterffly is named so. Today, I got the chance, and shot this pic of the insect with its wings closed....a very rare opportunity, as the Comma usually rests with its wings open...all is revealed....

006_zps10ac6519.jpg

Did you spot the white comma shaped mark on the underside of the hind wing which gives it its name.....?

Secondly, and even stranger still, a few shots of a male Brimstone butterfly. Strange, because these butterflies are the harbingers of Spring, and usually only appear in March/April. When you first see a yellow Brimstone, you know that Spring has arrived! It's only the males that are yellow (the females are a very pale green or even white, but the distinctive, pointed wing shape quickly leads to the correct identification) The common name of Brimstone refers to the bright yellow colour of Sulphur (Brimstone is the old fashioned name for the aforementioned element). The distinguishing features are the colour, the uniquely pointed wingtips, the four dots on the wings, and the red antennae. These should be long gone by now. I can only assume that due to the warm weather, this is a product of a second brood.....anyway....for the bug lovers amongst us, enjoy....

001_zps2ce50a67.jpg

003_zpse617ebc3.jpg

004_zpsb86a2f51.jpg

004_zpsb86a2f51.jpg

More here....http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species.php?species=rhamni

Wow, what a thread!

I do apologise for not getting quite the way through it all but I did my best. I do want to thank Roger the Dodger specially for not only providing masses of wonderful photographs but also for giving snippets of useful and fascinating information. How you do it Rog, with your busy job on the estate, I don't know :)

No thanks needed, Honour, just one of the perks of the job....being able to see and record all of nature when ever it occurs. My camera never leaves my side ( or pocket! :lol: )

I don't know if regular readers will remember this moth...the Buff Tip...(it's back on page 10), one of the best camouflaged moths there is.

031_zpsdc523a00.jpg

At the time, I mentioned that the larvae were gregarious, and always stay together. Today, I found a newly hatched batch of larvae on Willow, (probably about a week old...each one is about a centimetre long) and took a couple of shots to show how they congregate together.

012_zps558662e3.jpg

...and when they've eaten that leaf, they all move off in convoy to the next one.

003_zps64630b2e.jpg

I've moved this batch of larvae to a Willow nearer my office at work, so I can keep an eye on them....will post more as they develop.

I went to london zoo last week and got a few shots in the butterfly section

C9AB72A0-7056-49A8-BA69-180259146B5B_zpslarvynav.jpg

672DAF1F-01D5-4EBA-B062-3655BE55647B_zpsip9eypie.jpg

6C531EC9-A010-4444-BD08-708A1870A06C_zpsjnacqwrd.jpg

Edited by Iceblue

Taken in Cuba no idea what other than the fly in the Beetleguise outfit.

15329079820_e158bff847.jpg

15515810125_63d81387bb_c.jpg

15329105248_79a127e222_c.jpg

Kev

Edited by KevG

No.2 is deffo a cockroach....looking at the size (was it about 1.5"-2" long?) I would say it was the American cockroach...Periplaneta americana....that we used to breed at ICI for insecticide testing...that's a male BTW...you can tell by the cerciCompletely harmless, but people don't like them. The third is a fly as you said, and I think the first is either a beetle of some description or a moth...I'm hedging my bets here...I'm fairly well up in my entomology, but that one's got me perplexed.....perhaps someone else can shed a light...? More info here