• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
pauluspaolo

Bug Photos

A few more this morning. I have no idea what most of them are. :(

WEE_BUG_1.jpg

WEE_BUG_2.jpg

WEE_BUG_3.jpg

WEE_BUG_9.jpg

WEE_BUG_7.jpg

These, I know. The dreaded greenfly.

GREENFLY_1.jpg

Another Small Tortoiseshell.

ST_B.jpg

Lastly, certainly not a bug. A Dunnock.

DUNNOCK_1.jpg

Steve.

• Like 1

Out with the dog this morning, and spotted this wee beastie, also out for a walk. 

February :crazy5vh:

LADYBIRD-2-160219.jpg

Managed to sneak a watch in.

710-ACID-DIPPED-LADYBIRD-1-160219.jpg

Steve.

• Like 3

Out in the garden today, and saw several Bee flies. These very furry flies have a darting flight, then they hover in front of a flower and take nectar with their long proboscis. Called a Bee fly presumably because they look like a bee, they are a fly and harmless.

large.20200407_095219.jpg.c244479f8a94887267a4512efb71a9ab.jpg

large.20200407_095435.jpg.71f335dde4a88b95baa702f0c70d52b9.jpg

large.20200407_095631.jpg.87f128bb57b06e0bf5b3cb1dee5db9b8.jpg

Then saw a Wolf spider...these are the ones you often see running about on the ground. Very small, maybe 1cm across, later on in the year, the females are often seen with a bluish egg sac attached to their rear end.

large.20200407_102438.jpg.003a5259c51409b2c5810181db3517c3.jpg

large.20200407_102552.jpg.3929a1f3455bdab1909e3d8173293c32.jpg

On 01/09/2018 at 13:01, NOTSHARP said:

A few more this morning. I have no idea what most of them are. :(

WEE_BUG_1.jpg

WEE_BUG_2.jpg

WEE_BUG_3.jpg

WEE_BUG_9.jpg

WEE_BUG_7.jpg

These, I know. The dreaded greenfly.

GREENFLY_1.jpg

Another Small Tortoiseshell.

ST_B.jpg

Lastly, certainly not a bug. A Dunnock.

DUNNOCK_1.jpg

Steve.

There are a couple of parastic wasps there steve.

2 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Out in the garden today, and saw several Bee flies. These very furry flies have a darting flight, then they hover in front of a flower and take nectar with their long proboscis. Called a Bee fly presumably because they look like a bee, they are a fly and harmless.

large.20200407_095219.jpg.c244479f8a94887267a4512efb71a9ab.jpg

large.20200407_095435.jpg.71f335dde4a88b95baa702f0c70d52b9.jpg

large.20200407_095631.jpg.87f128bb57b06e0bf5b3cb1dee5db9b8.jpg

Then saw a Wolf spider...these are the ones you often see running about on the ground. Very small, maybe 1cm across, later on in the year, the females are often seen with a bluish egg sac attached to their rear end.

large.20200407_102552.jpg.3929a1f3455bdab1909e3d8173293c32.jpg

Weve had a couple of Bee flies in the garden for the last couple of days.Watched one sunning itself on a warm patch of soil this afternoon.Quite theraputic.

• Like 1

I cleaned up the thread as so many of the posts had dead links / pictures

We need more bugs!

• Thanks 1

On 07/04/2020 at 16:42, Roger the Dodger said:

A few weeks later and here are the very protective females with their egg sacs attached by a thread to the end of their abdomen. They are incredibly fast across the ground when it's hot, so difficult to photograph...the modern phone is the photographer's friend.

Wolf Spider with egg sac.

Wolf Spider with egg sac.

At only 1cm across, even @Cassie-O wouldn't be scared of these...there are thousands in my garden! :yes:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

At only 1cm across, even @Cassie-O wouldn't be scared of these...there are thousands in my garden! :yes:

I'm holding you personally responsible if I have a heart attack one of these days!:tongue::king:

• Haha 1

Caught this wee bugger on the bedroom window shutters with my phone camera.e87cef6f3b2e3d14dada4347340e2595.jpgc5fb2dfdd17b0008efb2e66d7421ccd3.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Biker said:

Caught this wee bugger on the bedroom window shutters with my phone camera.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Looks like a jumping spider...these ones can jump quite surprising distances...and  often land on you...@Cassie-O beware...but they are only the size of a small fly.

• Sad 1

The house is crawling with spider pals at the moment, probably something to do with the woodland just behind us, on the plus side, we often get Blue Tits scurrying around the windows picking them off.

You should see some of the ones I have evicted, nearly half the size of my hand!

DSC_0289.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

My size 9 big toe for reference and we regularly get bigger ones.  I just pick them up and throw them out of the door.

Tried that in Norway last year, picked a spider out my daughter's bath and it bit me!

Got these fellers in the loft too.

DSC_0286.JPG

DSC_0287.JPG

DSC_0288.JPG

DSC_0293 (2).JPG

Edited by Biker

Nice house guests, Buster...the common house spider would be quite welcome in my house, especially with all the flies around. And I'd love a colony of brown long eared bats in my loft. I used to come across them quite often when I worked in the building trade (damp proofing) and we always had to get the local licenced 'batman' to remove them, as they are protected, before we could start work.

Those house spiders build webs at a phenomenal rate!

The bats come and go, sometimes we have a colony other times they just disappear for months and months on end, they don't bother me in the least. 'Erself isn't too keen on any of the house guests.  The only ones I don't like are the mice, of which we get very few and very far between, Dave usually deals with those for us, she is quite a good mouser.

Out for a walk during the week and spotted lots of damsel and dragonflies. Got a few pics.

This is a female Black Tailed Skimmer, the male is blue.

Dragonfly, Black Tailed Skimmer, F.  Dragonfly, Black Tailed Skimmer, F.  Dragonfly, Black Tailed Skimmer, F.

Dragonfly, Black Tailed Skimmer, F.

..and some Damsel flies, the second pic is a mating pair...dirty buggers! :laughing2dw:

Damsel fly  Damsel fly

Some ladybird larvae...

Ladybird larva  Ladybird larva

And a Peacock butterfly larva.

Butterfly, Peacock larva.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2020 at 20:24, Roger the Dodger said:

Nice house guests, Buster...the common house spider would be quite welcome in my house, especially with all the flies around. And I'd love a colony of brown long eared bats in my loft. I used to come across them quite often when I worked in the building trade (damp proofing) and we always had to get the local licenced 'batman' to remove them, as they are protected, before we could start work.

Similar here, many people are scared stiff of spiders but i dont mind them, much rather have them in my house rather than filthy flies, they kill flies and thats good enough for me, i hate them things (flies) and wont rest until its squashed or flown out again, i wont kill a spider, if its somewhere i wish it wasnt i`ll give it some gentle persuasion or move it without killing it.

• Like 1

Yep me too, I don't like killing them, I just scoop them up and cart them elsewhere.  I tried that in Norway and the bugger bit me!  Did no harm but it was a nasty wee sting.  I Nearly gave birth to kittens!

• Like 1

Out for a long walk today...plenty of wildlife about!

Remember the pics of the female Black Tailed Skimmer Dragonfly from a few days ago?

Dragonfly, Black Tailed Skimmer, F.

I mentioned at the time that the male was blue, and today got some pics. The males will alight and bask in the sun, but are very hard to approach as they fly off as soon as they spot you...a metre is about the closest you'll get. So these pics are taken using zoom and then enlarging and cropping...

The original pic...

Dragonfly, Black Tailed Skimmer, M.

After cropping and enlarging...(and a bonus Greenbottle, Top L)

The Damselflies were also out in numbers today...this is a male...

Damselfly, M.

Damselfly, M.

...and they're still at 'it'...The male clasps the female by the neck and encourages her to bend her abdomen under so that her sex organs contact his. This is known as the mating 'wheel' or 'heart' and the pair fly in tandem. After mating, the female lays her eggs in the stems of aquatic plants, often still attached to the male.

Damselfly, mating.

Next, remember this Ladybird larva?

Ladybird larva

A few days later, after gorging on aphids until full (one of our garden friends and should be encouraged as a biological defence against greenfly) the larva does a penultimate moult and becomes a pupa. Now, its internal organs will be rearranged to form the familiar Ladybird beetle we are all familiar with.

Ladybird pupa.

Ladybird pupa.

A few weeks later, the final mould reveals the adult beetle...

Ladybird.

Ladybird.

A not very good pic of a Marbled White butterfly...it wouldn't open its wings...

Butterfly, Marbled White.

A foraging leaf cutter bee...

Bee.

Bee.

• Like 1

some more great pictures and relevant information

• Thanks 1