• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
pauluspaolo

Bug Photos

No.2 is deffo a cockroach....looking at the size (was it about 1.5"-2" long?) I would say it was the American cockroach...Periplaneta americana....that we used to breed at ICI for insecticide testing...that's a male BTW...you can tell by the cerciCompletely harmless, but people don't like them. The third is a fly as you said, and I think the first is either a beetle of some description or a moth...I'm hedging my bets here...I'm fairly well up in my entomology, but that one's got me perplexed.....perhaps someone else can shed a light...? More info here

Thanks Roger

Thought it was a Roach but wasn't certain, information was appreciated as well. The fly just amused me (probably too much Rum) Was surprised at the lack of insects around other than a 1 day plague of Mosquito.

Kev

No.2 is deffo a cockroach....looking at the size (was it about 1.5"-2" long?) I would say it was the American cockroach...Periplaneta americana....that we used to breed at ICI for insecticide testing...that's a male BTW...you can tell by the cerciCompletely harmless, but people don't like them.

Considering it was in Cuba, that's a good bet. Years ago a customer returned from wintering in Florida. He pulled a small jam jar from his pocket and said "Have a look at this!", in it was a three inch long one that looked like it could drag a bulldog off whole. :bad:

Later,

William

My wife & I managed to get a bit of gardeneing done today - whilst mowing the lawn I spotted this little chap crawling long at the base of the wall next to the lawn. I think it's a Great Crested Newt but I'm hoping that someone can confirm this for me? I've never seen one of these before & never knew they lived up north in Yorkshire. I'm pretty sure it's a protected species but thought is was more of a southern species? I've no idea if this one is fully grown or not but you can just make out a crest beginning to form along its back. It was mainly black in colour with a black/white throat but its belly was a seriously bright fiery orange. It was getting a bit pee'd off with me taking photos (hence the open mouth) so I left it alone & it crawled under our garden tool store - could it be hibernating under there, looking for some grub or just looking for a bit of shelter?

Apologies for the last photo - I was trying to take a photo of its belly but I didn't like to hold it too long & it wasn't happy about being held at all.

I'm looking forward to someone more knowledgeable than me commenting on this one :)

R0017669_zps561e62f1.jpg

R0017670_zpsd7154c7b.jpg

R0017672_zpse1e3d96a.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 1

Yep...it's a Great Crested newt...looks like a juvenille...the adults are about 4-5" long. Only the male has the crest, and only in the breeding season (mid spring-early summer). He also develops a pale electric blue stripe along his tail. The female has no crest.

More info here Take note of the bit in red at the bottom of the piece.

...and lots more pics here....

https://www.google.c...UoAQ&gws_rd=ssl

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Thanks Roger you've confirmed what I thought, I didn't handle him for any longer than it took to take the photo & as far as I know he's still happily resting/kipping/hibernating under my garden shed. I've no idea where he came from though as we've no deep still water near us that I'm aware of :huh: There is a beck close by but I wouldn't have thought this suitable for egg laying (too fast moving) & I wonder just how far he'd crawled before I saw him? :)

Edited by pauluspaolo

They will quite happily breed in a garden pond if the conditions are favourable....we had Great Crested and Smooth newts in our garden pond for years. And we have them in the pond at work too.

...continuing Williams idea of making up plausible Latin names, here's a specimen of 'Spectabilis horribilus'......:lol:
029_zps0mw0o7ub.jpg

It's actually a Dragon Fly nymph. I was doing a bit of pond dipping to see what was about, and along with the usual newts and other beetles, this was in the net. Safely returned to emerge as a beautiful insect in a few weeks time.
043.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Caught basking in the sun today....a Comma butterfly...
20160414_141256-1_zpsfslehtc6.jpg

No, that's a butterfly, period. I just get worse and worse. :laugh:

Later,
William

• Like 5

This Maybug or Cockchafer as it's also known flew in the window the other night...this is a male with his characteristic venetian blind like antennae. This is the third largest beetle we have in the UK after the Stag beetle and the Great Diving beetle.

20160515_220313_zpsk4tg9fcz.jpg
20160515_221051-1_zpsounq6gcz.jpg

• Like 3

Heard a buzzing in the greenhouse at work, and discovered an embryonic wasp's nest being built under a shelf. Thankfully, I was able to get rid of it before it developed any bigger, but before it was completely removed, a few pics were taken.

This was the nest under the shelf...Although undesirable as a wasp's nest is, you cannot help but marvel at the way they use different coloured woods to make the pulp that is their building material...this gives the outside a unique 'marbled' effect.This was suspended by a single stalk.
20160601_122238_zps588v0osu.jpg

The entry hole...
20160601_122306_zpsmmikwoak.jpg

These next pics were taken using the 'magnifyer' on my phone, and are much more close up. These show the start of the comb, which is similar to a bee's honeycomb in that it is composed of hexagonal cells. Here, you can see the capped cells that contain the next adults, which are pupating at the moment, and the fully grown wasp grubs that will shortly have their cells capped to do the same. (sorry for the long, thin pics...I should have cropped them first)
20160601_123512_zpsrjvfkyug.jpg

Here it is again, from the top. You can see the first four cells are empty in the middle, which was where the first workers developed..these would have been fed by the queen. In fact, there were only those four plus the queen in the nest when I disturbed it. You can see how quickly a colony builds up as more and more workers are produced...it must be like an exponential curve. There's 17 capped cells which will be the next workers, followed by the next 17 grubs that can be seen. As the nest increases in size, so do the combs. In a well developed nest, there can be several of these combs, each a foot or so across, separated from each other by tiny pillars of pulp, and contain many thousands of individuals.
20160601_123412_zpsl8ami92a.jpg

Here's a grub and a pupating adult from the comb.....anglers love wasp grub as bait, and I've dug loads of nests up and used them for fishing...chub love 'em!
20160601_123845_zpstgzhquof.jpg

In this pic you can see the eggs that the queen has laid in the outermost cells at the bottom.

20160601_123446_zpspfytykzj.jpg

• Like 3

A few I've managed this year 

Mother of Pearl moth

DSCF4594

Red Admiral on a Fushia

DSCF4691

Green veined white

DSCF4663

Gatekeeper with a little nick out of the wing

DSCF4645