• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, that's a butterfly, period. I just get worse and worse. Later, William

Hugh's right, Dave ...it's the cast skin of a dragonfly nymph. Tha dragonfly spends several years underwater as a 'nymph', shedding it's skin as it grows bigger. When the last stage is reached, the ny

Good thread I snapped these two sabre wasps hard at it last Bank Holiday weekend  

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

My son's baby pink toed tarantula on my hand...

Pink Toe Tarantula.

Summat else that got me a slap round the head and a big f**koff fatty, no chance!

Not exactly a bug but I had to rescue this wee fella at 1am.
Think it's a wee baby one. It was tiny0eca939a1c65c4f674b90fdb0168ad7b.jpg8a115cf15bb6d58b3f3e3909db95f7ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Biker said:

Summat else that got me a slap round the head and a big f**koff fatty, no chance!

He has a couple of others...

A Great Brazilian Blue...

Tarantula.

and another Pink Toe...

Pink Toe Tarantula

Plus, of course, my Praying Mantis...

Praying mantis (L6)

Praying mantis (L6)

Praying mantis (L6)

Praying mantis (L6)

• 4 weeks later...

A while has passed since the last Mantis pics. The Orchid mantis has just completed its final moult, has its wings and is now adult. She will last about another month, then slip away to the great forest in the sky. When I first got her, she was a L5 (level 5) nymph and around an inch long. Now, at L8 she is around 3.5 inches.

Praying mantis (L8)

Praying mantis (L8)

Praying mantis (L8)

Praying mantis (L8)

Praying mantis (L8)
This is the cast skin from her final moult.

Praying mantis (L8)

The Giant Asian mantis also moulted at the same time...it's now at L7 with one more to go. When I first got this one it was tiny...just 1 inch long at L4...
Praying Mantis.
Bit of a difference now at 4 inches long and will be even bigger after its final moult in a few weeks time.

Praying mantis (L7)

Praying mantis (L7)

Praying mantis (L7)
The wing buds are clearly visible on its thorax...at the next moult they will be fully developed and it will be around 6 inches long.
Praying mantis (L7)

Cast skin.
Praying mantis (L7)

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Biker said:

Found this odd wee chap scouting around the kitchen on Sunday

20200731_162623.jpg

20200731_162651.jpg

Apparently, that's a wasp nest beetle and not very common in the UK.
https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/wasp-nest-beetle#:~:text=Wasp Nest Beetle - Metoecus paradoxus&text=It has feathery antennae and,emerge during the summer months.

10 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

That would make sense as we always seem to end up with at least one wasps nest per year.

Thanks for that.:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Had to evict this bugger from the bathroom sink this morning.

I was lying in bed minding my own business then suddenly...

"Hoy, fatso, you left your pet spider in the bathroom sink last night!!"

In to the bathroom toddle I, scooped him up and this bugger entirely filled the palm of my hand! Fortunately he didn't bite.

I then had to go back and chuck his suitcases out too.7763002ba1014a783c50956c5a1a8fa8.jpg

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Biker said:

Had to evict this bugger from the bathroom sink this morning.

I was lying in bed minding my own business then suddenly...

"Hoy, fatso, you left your pet spider in the bathroom sink last night!!"

In to the bathroom toddle I, scooped him up and this bugger entirely filled the palm of my hand! Fortunately he didn't bite.

I then had to go back and chuck his suitcases out too.7763002ba1014a783c50956c5a1a8fa8.jpg

You're a better man than I am, Biker !

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

The final chapter in the story of the Giant Asian mantis. It has now undergone its final moult to L8 and is now an adult with fully developed wings. Like its counterpart the Orchid mantis (who is still with us at the moment) its days are now numbered.

There's a bit of a difference from when I first got it at L4 and about an inch long....
Praying Mantis.

...to the monster it's become now at around 5 inches...
Praying mantis (L8).

Praying mantis (L8).

Praying mantis (L8).

Praying mantis (L8).

Praying mantis (L8).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A friend of my son gave us some exotic butterfly pupae to watch hatching into adults. The large brown one is cleverly camouflaged to blend in with dead leaves while the transformation takes place...similarly, the green ones would be well hidden amongst foliage. The brown one is very big...nearly two inches long (50mm)...the butterfly that emerges will probably look like a 70's bow tie! :laughing2dw: Apparently, the two green ones will give rise to blue butterflies. Will update when they hatch.

Butterfly pupae.

Butterfly pupae.

Butterfly pupae.

Butterfly pupae.

• Like 1

You may remember this pic from the post above...
Butterfly pupae.

Today, the adult butterfly emerged. I don't know what species it is yet, I need to do some research, but it's certainly not a UK butterfly.
Butterfly: Exotic.

On doing a bit of research, I've found that this butterfly is an Asian species, Parthenos sylvia, 'The Clipper'
More here...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenos_sylvia

We are hoping that the large brown pupa pictured above is a giant owl butterfly...will update when it hatches...
Spotlight: the owl butterfly | Natural History Museum

The large brown butterfly pupa hatched today....
Butterfly: Owl

I give you the World's largest butterfly species, the Owl butterfly. Fully 6" (150mm) across its opened wings. It's quite obvious where it gets its name.

Once the wings open, the beautiful blue colour is revealed. Unfortunately, although in a very large hatching cage, this one still managed to tear its right hind wing.

• Like 1