• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Lets See All Those Omega'S!

stevieb

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omega at the time made movements in large runs rather than to small batches, which makes far more economic sense when you think about it.

The upshot of this is a movement made in 1969 could be put into a watch assembled a few years later, especially if that model was a slow seller. Plus the watch might have sat in an AD's display for a year or so before it eventually sold.

I've seen Omegas who's movements have revealed one date but Omegas records have shown that the watch was actually sold up to 3 years later. The movement number should really only be treated as a very rough guide to the watches production date, let alone sales date.

Cheers,

Gary

Just to add to this discussion.............I have seen a watch which was introduced by Omega in 1970 but had a 1969 serial no. on the movement. Watch could have been made in 1969 in advance of the launch but would not have appeared in any catalogues or literature until 1970.

Is this watch a 1969 or 1970 and how should it be viewed by anyone looking for birth year watch?

Jack

Omega at the time made movements in large runs rather than to small batches, which makes far more economic sense when you think about it.

The upshot of this is a movement made in 1969 could be put into a watch assembled a few years later, especially if that model was a slow seller. Plus the watch might have sat in an AD's display for a year or so before it eventually sold.

I've seen Omegas who's movements have revealed one date but Omegas records have shown that the watch was actually sold up to 3 years later. The movement number should really only be treated as a very rough guide to the watches production date, let alone sales date.

Cheers,

Gary

Just to add to this discussion.............I have seen a watch which was introduced by Omega in 1970 but had a 1969 serial no. on the movement. Watch could have been made in 1969 in advance of the launch but would not have appeared in any catalogues or literature until 1970.

Is this watch a 1969 or 1970 and how should it be viewed by anyone looking for birth year watch?

Jack

For the sake of simplicity, I go by the serial number. However, the more modern ones I have that the SN covers several years, I'll try to judge the year by the size of the SN, and put an ish on the end of the year I give. In the case you stated above, I think if the Omega Vintage site gave the first production year as being after the SN year I'd go with the first production year.

Later,

William

Guys

Here's another couple I've owned....nearly ALL of which have been & gone....shocking I know when you look back !

PC310451-1.jpg

Racingdial.jpg

However , I have picked up a real killer super rare Omega....which will be back from STS in about 5x weeks....Pics to follow !!!

And if Tom (Dickstar) starts posting his watches here....well my collection will look.... :notworthy:

All the best - Neil

• 2 weeks later...