• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I just opened the back of one of my PWs and thought it looked quite complicated, so here it is. My digital with macro is broken so I'm trying to do this on a small sony with no macro. Any thoughts on it? No maker on the front and the hallmarks are so small I can't see them, and have no loupe available. That might be next on the list...

dr_movement.jpg

Looks a very interesting movement and as Rog said it's probably a chronograph and it would be nice to see a pic of the dial

For the hallmarks, if they are a bit grubby, try a toothbrush and fairy liquid and then take a pic and enlarge it on the computer

Chris :)

Thanks chaps!

After looking around the site, I think I can safely say it's a Doctors watch. The only bit of the hallmark that I can read says 0.935 in a rectangle which is the Sterling Silver mark? I need to borrow a camera with a macro... I'll get some decent pics up when I can.

Cheers

Miles

Thanks chaps!

After looking around the site, I think I can safely say it's a Doctors watch. The only bit of the hallmark that I can read says 0.935 in a rectangle which is the Sterling Silver mark? I need to borrow a camera with a macro... I'll get some decent pics up when I can.

Cheers

Miles

Hi Miles lovely movement! :)

Btw, when i want to take a really close up pick of a watch,

i hold a jewelers loupe over the lens,usually works with macro and non macro cameras,you can pick them up for a few pounds online.

Sam. :cheers:

I just opened the back of one of my PWs and thought it looked quite complicated, so here it is. My digital with macro is broken so I'm trying to do this on a small sony with no macro. Any thoughts on it? No maker on the front and the hallmarks are so small I can't see them, and have no loupe available. That might be next on the list...

dr_movement.jpg

It has a high quality LONGINES Swiss watch movement of the calibre type L 19.73 N Chronograph with

30-minutes-counter. 23Jewel.

App Year of manufacture is 1900-1910

Sone retailers in those days requested that no name be shown.

Look on the lower plate next to the balance wheel you should see 19.73 Cal or something similar you will require a loupe or magnyfying glass.

Here is my one for comparison.

DSC01456.jpg

This might be of some help -

When you see unmarked Longines movement in a Longines case, the case serial number is also the watches serial number.

From what i can see this is a Longines case they always used the higher grade silver .935 rather than the standard .925.

Could you post a pic. of the inside of the back plate showing what hallmarks etc. are shown.

Wow thanks Seismic. I've been trying to see any markings with a (shortsighted) naked eye but nothing yet.

The hallmarks are 2 'standing' lions with a much smaller mark central and higher.

There is a serial number, 1071XXX, and a small 17 on the left (at 9 o'clock).

Inner and outer have the same marks.

I don't have a camera capable of doing the fine stuff, but will get a pic of the face up as soon as I can.

Thank you!

Miles

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke to my Uncle P this weekend, as he is the family historian. It is in fact Uncle Charlie's pocket watch. Uncle Charlie was actually Henry Charles Souter, Esq., Head of Returns and Statistics Branch, Friendly Societies Registry which I am told was a fairly high ranking civil service position. I have a loupe now but am in Wales so I'll see if I can identify the marks later in the week. Knowing whose it was makes it much more personal I think. :good:

Thanks chaps!

Cheers

Miles

Hi Miles lovely movement! :)

Btw, when i want to take a really close up pick of a watch,

i hold a jewelers loupe over the lens,usually works with macro and non macro cameras,you can pick them up for a few pounds online.

Sam. :cheers:

That's a good tip Sam,I'll have to try that.

It has a high quality LONGINES Swiss watch movement of the calibre type L 19.73 N Chronograph with

30-minutes-counter. 23Jewel.

App Year of manufacture is 1900-1910

Sone retailers in those days requested that no name be shown.

Look on the lower plate next to the balance wheel you should see 19.73 Cal or something similar you will require a loupe or magnyfying glass.

I can't see a mark anywhere Seismic. I suspect that it's so similar to yours it's not an issue, but I'd quite like to know!

I also have my loupe and can see the smaller mark above and central to the other 2 is another lion, in a similar style.

Cheers

Miles