• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
whatmeworry

New Ball Fireman Racer Or Used Seamaster Quartz?

12 members have voted

1. 1. Ball or Omega

• I love Balls
    • Seamaster all the way

I've recently decided to downsize my collection a bit, get rid of a few of my affordables and buy one nicer watch with the proceeds. I reckon I'll end up with around £800. The watch I end up with needs to complement the core of my current collection - a Rolex Explorer 36mm and a Sinn 656. What I was thinking therefore was that something sportier with a bit of colour might fit the bill.I have really small wrists (6.25") so 40mm is the limit for me and even then some watches just don't work.

With that in mid there are currently 2 contenders - the Ball Fireman Racer (in black and red) and the Omega Seamaster Bond quartz (in blue).

FiremanRacer.jpg

The Ball is 40mm but has curved lugs which hug the wrist nicely. It's £810 new.

The Seamaster is a classic and I could pick up the quartz midsize (36mm so maybe a tiny bit small for me) second hand for about the same. The fact its quartz actually kind of appeals as I'm something of an accuracy freak.

So, what do you think? Ball or Bond?

The Seamaster quartz is a great watch but I found myself midway between sizings and so mine had to go. Ball watches do have real quality though and are that little bit different.

The Seamaster quartz is a great watch but I found myself midway between sizings and so mine had to go. Ball watches do have real quality though and are that little bit different.

Yeah, the Racer (especially in Black and Red) is so cool looking..... really can't decide which way to go on this one. There are a few Seamasters on ebay but they all look to be a bit scratched up in the bezel area...

I typically side with Omega, but I really like the style of the hands on the Racer. I've never liked the hands on the Bond style Omegas. If it was me choosing, and those were the only options, it would be the Ball. :)

Later,

William

I really the older Omegas. There seem to be so many of the current ones around. I was in Costa the other day and almost every other bloke had an Omega on and most of them seemed to be Bonds. (Perhaps that says more about Costa)

Anyway I think the Ball looks great and would by my choice, more exclusive and it's automatic.

Roger

Edited by Stinch

I'd have the Omega, whilst the Ball is certainly a very nice looking watch, the Omega is a classic and will complement your collection nicely.

As for size, I have the mid size auto and find the size perfect. It sits nicely under sleeves, is very smooth so doesn't catch on clothes and will look as good in 10 years time :)

Ps if I did go for the Ball, I'd have the White one!

Edited by Odo

I really like that Ball - not seen it before. However it does look a little similar to the JLC in the 'Something A Bit Special Arrived Today ' thread from yesterday.

I'm at the airport today and just took the opportunity to try on the midsize Seamaster...way too small. My Explorer is 36mm too and looks perfect but for whatever reason this ended up looking like a kid's watch on me. It definitely has a feel of solidity and quality but if I'm honest the look (putting the size issue to one side) just didn't click with me. 

As much as i love Omega i would have to go with the mechanical piece so on this occasion it would be the Ball , it is a bit different as well which makes it interesting .

Hi

Tough call...I see Ball as a brand on the up (and of course I love Omega's)....interestingly , STS (Swiss Time Services) are the approved Service Centre for both makes !

All the best - Neil

So the Omega is ahead. But if it wins, does that mean it's a more run-of-the-mill watch and therefore you should get the Ball to be different? Psychobabble!!!

i'd choose the ball. I couldn't spend that kind of money on a quartz.

having just got a ball myself (not this one) i'm very impressed with the quality and finish.