UK Watch Forum banner

Watch Design - Pet Peeves

3K views 44 replies 35 participants last post by  sheepsteeth 
#1 ·
What are your watch design pet peeves?

I'll begin...

- when the hands are the same colour as the dial, or close.

- over large crowns

- quartz watch second hands that don't line up with the minute markers.

#5 ·
#8 ·
Actually when I think about it, the date at 4 or between 4&5 just doesn't look right.

#9 ·
I dislike overly blunt or squared hour and minute hands. Tou have a movement that's accurate to within a few seconds (or better) per day, but at a glance the time could be a couple of minutes either way without looking closely.

Later,

William

#11 ·
And, for the same reason, watches with no minute markers such as the Panerai Luminor and Glycine Incursore; even worse, those minimalist offerings that lack even 5 minute batons - some with just a perfunctory dot at 12.

Next thing is a watch face that is too busy with lots of dials sub-dials, and a mixture of LCD and traditional.
Double ditto.

Finally, watches where the lume on the hands doesn't match the lume on the dial markers. The otherwise lovely-looking Glycine Eugene Meylan has nicely aged lume on the dial, but overall symmetry is ruined by having light green lume on the hands. :thumbsdown:

#10 ·
For me its the day at the top curving between 10 and 2. After that over large crowns and the date at 6....must be at 3 for me.

Next thing is a watch face that is too busy with lots of dials sub-dials, and a mixture of LCD and traditional.

But that is what I dislike and some people may love all of the above and thats what makes the world go around.

#18 ·
No. 1 Obscure dials, I like to see what time it is without straining. That rules out virtually all chronos and navigators

No. 2 Thickness - anything over 9mm is just too much. I prefer about 6mm.

No. 3 XXL sized watches - I won't wear a saucer on my wrist. Ideal is about 37mm

#19 ·
XXL dial watches, lug to lug sizes over45mm, ********* dinner plates, they do my head in.............
:wheelchair:

besides that can can cope with most things..................besides small calibers, with plastic spacers, fake sub dials that dont do SFA,

auto's you cant wind, noisy ******** neighbours,

think I am in a bad mood tonight..............

#38 ·
If it say's "Shaq O'Niell" it's probably a fake :)

My worst PP are alarm watches that do not have a 4 division bezel/face (I may be the only one on here who hates this!). Or 10 minute increments - 6 hashes between the hours. They use the same as the minute hand. So, every one 5th increment is actually 12 minutes on the alarm... so the 3rd hash is 36 minutes, the 4th is 48, etc. - I just don't get it! I have a few but I try to avoid them - even if I really like them. Hello - it's an alarm watch and that should have the most priority!

Thank you - Whew... I feel better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.