• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Fox Mulder

Watch Design - Pet Peeves

Casio G Shocks and all the other plastic looking watches that appear to have just fallen out of Christmas crackers.

Just my opinion though. I don't suppose my SKX007 is to everyones taste either :partytime:

1. Large watches with stupidly small lug widths,

2. Watches with ever so slightly irregular lug shapes / drilling so as to make strap choice incredibly limited!! :wallbash:

:cheers:

Rich.

Manual winds with screwdown crowns. :(

Except when it's a Bostok! :lol:

Casio G Shocks and all the other plastic looking watches that appear to have just fallen out of Christmas crackers.

Well, that's half of my collection out the window then...! :weed:

:lol:

:lol:

Davey P.

Please don't be offended mate. It's just my personal preference. The main thing is that you like them and enjoy them.

Almost all of my watches are black faced, big with bezels that look like they came off a piece of farming equipment ! Except the Seiko chrono that has a bright yellow face but still is big with a bezel . . . etc etc .

Wear your G-Shocks in good health.

Chris :partytime:

Edited by Service Engineer

Specifically Rolex - that bloody magnified date window. How hard is it to see a date window? I'm sure it's helpful to some people but they seem to be on 90% of Rolexes I see.

Well, I've got a few watches that really could use a cyclops ... the date wheels numerals are so small and have thin fonts. Compare with Rolex or Seikos, with nice big, open, easy to read numerals.

Bear in mind, some of us are on the far side of the midlife "6" mark and need reading glasses for most 10pt type, so date wheels made for a doll's house really are a PITA.

Someone mentioned crowns that are small, and fit into the movement, requiring a fingernail to release. Like on a vintage Seiko 5? That's by design, me thinks.

My peeves include:

• Teeny tiny lume dots made with a weak material ... why bother?! Leave the dial clean looking. If you do a dot, make it bright and lasting at least 6 hours.
  • Minute and hour hands with lume segments of nearly identical length. Bad design.
  • Okay, I'll just say bad design. Particularly in a watch costing more than the designer's daily salary.
  • Weak lume. It's a tease. Don't tease me with glow that's legible 20 minutes after lights-out, but gone 2 hours later.
  • Screw-down crowns and stem tubes with threads so fine they're likely to cross-thread and deform unless you're especially careful. It's a tool watch, it should be rugged, dang it -- I can't sit on a rocking dive boat or foreign jitney and try to line up the threads just right. (For their solution to this, Rolex' engineers had their minds in the right space.)
  • Hour hands that obscure the date window (maybe it's the date window's fault?). Minute hand, no problem, it will be past it in 2 minutes. But an hour hand needn't be so long as to reach the hour markers, unless it's a child's watch for a tyke who's learning to tell time (and the tykes don't need a date window).
  • Sweep second hands that stutter and halt when set the watch in reverse. My preferred method of setting the time (learned from Seiko's instructions, I suspect) is to hold the minute hand a little past the correct marker, then reverse set it when the seconds reach :58. My Shanghai chrono movement needs this.
  • Speaking of which, movements with lots of play in the minute hand, when setting. That is, play that is 1 min or more either way. Grrrr.
  • Watch designs that CALL ATTENTION TO THEMSELVES. Hey, look at me! I'm fancy! I'm fashionable! I'm ... butt ugly, but my owner doesn't care, anything to get attention. :bad:

I'm still thinking....

Edited by David Spalding

Sportsman / Celebrity endorsed watches really get on my tits. Especially high end stuff. Who would spend thousands on a watch named after Shaq O'Niell.

Exept Shaq O'Niell of course :)

Sportsman / Celebrity endorsed watches really get on my tits. Especially high end stuff. Who would spend thousands on a watch named after Shaq O'Niell.

Exept Shaq O'Niell of course :)

If it say's "Shaq O'Niell" it's probably a fake :)

My worst PP are alarm watches that do not have a 4 division bezel/face (I may be the only one on here who hates this!). Or 10 minute increments - 6 hashes between the hours. They use the same as the minute hand. So, every one 5th increment is actually 12 minutes on the alarm... so the 3rd hash is 36 minutes, the 4th is 48, etc. - I just don't get it! I have a few but I try to avoid them - even if I really like them. Hello - it's an alarm watch and that should have the most priority!

Thank you - Whew... I feel better!

As someone with a fairly small wrist who likes the look of dive watches, my biggest pet peeve is the size and weight of most of the boutique divers I'm interested in.

Also, how come most of the best looking Seikos have hardlex, while they reserve the sapphire crystals for some of their IMO ugliest watches?

Over sized watches, especially the ridiculous Panerai 60mm! Also some of the modern complications from Richard Mille and Urwerk and the like. I have no problem with modern design but these are just bizarre for the sake of it. Over priced and over worked. A bit like buying a Ferrari which is flash enough and then painting it day-glo colours and sticking diamonds all over it!!

Too much self-aggrandising text on a watch dial - particulary on modern Rolex's :yucky:

As if there really is the need for:

'Oyster Perpetual'; 'Superlative Chronometer'; 'Officially Certified' AND 'Cosmograph' (whatever one of those is) ....

underneath the Rolex coronet symbol and logo. :yucky:

Edited by SEIKO7A38

Please don't be offended mate. It's just my personal preference.

Again. Casio G Shocks and all the other plastic looking watches :yucky: - I don't care who I offend. :partytime: