• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Is My Half Hunter Worth Geting Repaired?

Hi all,

I'm new here, I don't know much about my pocket watch and I was hoping to get some advice regarding it. It's a Waltham half hunter. It's not working, it did when I bought it 10 years ago and I have no idea why it doesn't now. There is no movement when winding. I'm not sure how susceptable they are to being over wound, I'm always careful in this regard but I suppose it's possible that I did. The case isn't the original by the looks of it.

I'm surmising that the watch isn't worth a huge amount and I'm wondering whether the cost of getting it repaired would be more than the watch is worth. I realise you can't give me an estimate on a repair cost but if you could point me in the direction of the approx value of the watch I'd really appreciate it. Also do you have any tips for cleaning the case? As you can see it's had some sticky labels on the back, I'm wary of using any cleaning solutions without asking in case it taints the metal.

Thank you,

Gareth

_MG_8834-1.jpg

_MG_8833-1.jpg

_MG_8837-1.jpg

_MG_8838-1.jpg

_MG_8835-1.jpg

Well you have a nice half hunter which appears to have a clean dial with no hairlines and the enamelled numbers on the front seem to be in fair condition.

It's a filled case so it will never be worth a fortune but there are still a number of collectors who would consider buying it.

Julian gave you a link to a recommended repairer who will, as I understand, give you a free estimate.

I know what I would pay for it as it is as I have an idea what I would have to pay for the service but a recently serviced, fully working watch will always fetch a higher price

To get rid of the auction label, try flooding it with cooking oil (corn oil or whatever's in the cupboard) and let it sit overnight and it will slide right off without leaving a mark

Chris :)

Hello Gareth,

I have an identical Waltham, also fitted in an identical Dennison Moon case with an 80xxxx serial number. The movement serial number is in the range 27,xxx,xxx which dates it to 1932. I had it serviced last year at a cost of £125. I suspect that this was more than the watch's monetary value. That said, it was my grandfather's retirement gift from his colleagues and is a family heirloom which has been passed on to me so it has enormous sentimental value. The serial number on your case is somewhat later.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. I use mine quite regularly and it is an excellent timekeeper.

John

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. I will contact Ryte Time, for the cost of the postage it's certainly worth getting an estimate. Although if it's similar to your £125 Sparks then I think that would be over my budget, as much as I'd like to see it repaired.

Thanks for the cleaning tips, I'll try the less messy sponge and hot water first but failing that I'm sure I've got some corn oil in the cupboard somewhere.

Gareth

The hot water will loosen up the glue and moisten the paper. A bit of firm and determined scrubbing with the sponge ought to get all that gunk off. The hot water will melt the glue and it should just all rub off with a bit of effort.