• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Alas

Increase In Sales Forum Traffic?

Hi all

Would be willing to bet a few of the longer standing members must have noticed a large increase in the amount of items to sell and posts in the Sales Forum.

I assume that the sudden popularity is due to the changing of the rules on TzUK with a minimum post count to buy set at 50 and the minimum to sell st at 250. Whilst I would be happy to welcome new WIS's to the forum I just hope that the reason that most have joined is not just to sell or buy one watch then disappear. :dontgetit:

It was starting to get a little slow round here, but I've noticed a few new members bringing back old threads with pics, interesting posts etc.

It's good to see it moving again!

Hopefully the Friday thread will be back to it's busy old self. Has only reached around 3 or so pages of late!

And on a side note, TZ may be a busier forum but it's boring!!

(edit to say IMO :D)

Edited by vinbo

TZ is too "Clicky"

Its not a friendly forum at all and it looks to be run by a childish lunatic at times. major car forums etc have many members wanting to sell nice watches. At the end of the day if they become bargains etc for other forum members, why worry?

Also too many people have been ripped off on TZ over the last 2 years. I find TZ to be a forum that is for members who are far too anal about watches and have little else going on in their lives. Its a "show off " forum

Think all interest sites end up getting boring sooner or later except for the most diehard fans out there. For the casual folks like me, I like to do some foruming, then take a hiatus, then come back for some more. Allows me to rediscover things that I have forgotten.

oddly i keep thinking of selling most of my watches and buying one i really wont, but i like my others and not sure what i want lol, :D

TZ is too "Clicky"

Its not a friendly forum at all and it looks to be run by a childish lunatic at times. major car forums etc have many members wanting to sell nice watches. At the end of the day if they become bargains etc for other forum members, why worry?

Also too many people have been ripped off on TZ over the last 2 years. I find TZ to be a forum that is for members who are far too anal about watches and have little else going on in their lives. Its a "show off " forum

(to use a phrase that gets frowned upon on TZ)

+1

Like a lot of members here I go through phases when watches are put on the back boiler for a bit whilst I get on with other things in my life, but when the wis-fire is re-kindled it's time to do some wheelin' & dealin' :wink2: and although I've bought and sold on other forums I feel most comfortable and relaxed on the RLT forums ... the friendly attitude here is second to none on the internet in my opinion :grin:

:rltb: :toot:

Hi

I guess both have their good & bad points....it certainly is more laid back here & you can be a little more 'free' with your thoughts....there is a bit of a herd mentality on TZ....but there is also some great knowledge.

Personally , I like both (and some others....) !

All the best - Neil

Haven't really been much onto other forums. TBH I find others hard to navigate from an outsider's point of view. Here you just choose a topic that interests you and you're away. Easy!

I quite like lurking on the sales forum. Window shopping, mainly, but it's a daily updated topic with stuff for sale anywhere between both ends of the spectrum. I'd agree with Chris tho, I Spose people are freeing up a few dollars to put towards something else, where before they might have just thrown it on the plastic??

oddly i keep thinking of selling most of my watches and buying one i really wont, but i like my others and not sure what i want lol, :D

Ive got too many watches.Im at an age where i dont want or need them all anymore :wheelchair:

So basicaly im selling most of my watches and only keeping the ones i really need

which at the moment is a very slow and painful process :wallbash: :crybaby: .

Any increase is welcome IMHO, the new members keep the forum going, it is also nice to see some more established members active again

Cheers Martin :thumbsup:

This forum is more down to earth, i have been on other forums but some have a more snoby feeling to them, on here you can show what you like and always get good comments, :thumbsup:

TZ is too "Clicky"

Its not a friendly forum at all

[...]

I find TZ to be a forum that is for members who are far too anal about watches and have little else going on in their lives. Its a "show off " forum

(to use a phrase that gets frowned upon on TZ)

+1

Good grief, there's a wide range of views and mindsets on TZ-UK; it's not just for the anal types or for showing off (but those are allowed to ;-) ). It seems like a very friendly forum to me, much like here. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the above description is of a different forum to the TZ-UK I know (or, perhaps more likely, is a description of a very small subset of TZ-UK).

and it looks to be run by a childish lunatic at times.

Wow, what was it that caused you to characterise Eddie in such a manner?

major car forums etc have many members wanting to sell nice watches. At the end of the day if they become bargains etc for other forum members, why worry?

Who's objecting to bargains? Have you, by any chance, lost access to the SC on TZ-UK due to the recent changes? It's worth understanding that TZ-UK's SC is an added extra. As far as I can tell Eddie would be just as happy for it not to exist at all. To criticise Eddie for locking down SC as he sees fit (which in part appears to be what you are complaining about)

is to miss the primary point of TZ-UK.

Also too many people have been ripped off on TZ over the last 2 years.

How many is that exactly? Very few people have been "ripped off" to the best of my knowlege. There are dodgy sellers everywhere and TZ-UK's SC has a very high volume of posts. I'd say the rate of dodgy sales or rip offs is very, very low for the volume that goes through it. The existence of H+V means that one can at least check back on past performance. It generally seems to work well.

Ive got too many watches.Im at an age where i dont want or need them all anymore :wheelchair:

So basicaly im selling most of my watches and only keeping the ones i really need

which at the moment is a very slow and painful process :wallbash: :crybaby: .

ANDI, wouldnt worry about the Glycine......id swoop it off you now if it was pay week!!

there is a bit of a herd mentality on TZ....

Just like here, of course! ;-) In my experience neither TWF nor TZ-UK are any more tribalistic or herd-like than the other. Both seem to me to be overhwelmingly friendly places to discuss watches, with no particular group-think to which one must subscribe. In particular the larger size of TZ-UK (as well as TWF albeit on a smaller scale) makes that practically impossible -- there are too many opposing views for there to be any single viewpoint that one 'has to' follow.

It is unfortunately human nature for most people to be tribalistic. They view 'the other', the competitor, with suspicion and distrust, even when it is in reality no different to their 'home'. I can't say that I see things in that light. There just doesn't seem to be genuine need for it between TWf and TZ-UK. The similarities are far greater than the differences. Nevertheless, I recognise that many people do think that way.

....it certainly is more laid back here & you can be a little more 'free' with your thoughts

I've not noticed any differences in this respect. I have never felt in the slightest limited in what I could say either on TWF or TZ-UK. If you say that you like cyclopses, or don't like Omegas, or don't like Daytonas, or do like Timexes, there will be people who agree and disagree on both forums.

there is a bit of a herd mentality on TZ

And a bit of this as well :lol: :lol:

tishman-speyer-witch-hunt.jpg

Stone the low-end Rolex-hating witches!!! No wait.... hang on, stone the Bremont-wearing heretics!!! No... hang on.... :angel_not:

Edited by Markrlondon

Also too many people have been ripped off on TZ over the last 2 years.

How many is that exactly? Very few people have been "ripped off" to the best of my knowlege. There are dodgy sellers everywhere and TZ-UK's SC has a very high volume of posts. I'd say the rate of dodgy sales or rip offs is very, very low for the volume that goes through it. The existence of H+V means that one can at least check back on past performance. It generally seems to work well.

I'd agree with you here Mark - the chances of being 'ripped off' are very remote....any issues like that would soon be highlighted !

Perhaps the OP is referring to achieving a low sales price ???

Thanks Neil

there is a bit of a herd mentality on TZ

And a bit of this as well :lol: :lol:

tishman-speyer-witch-hunt.jpg

Stone the low-end Rolex-hating witches!!! No wait.... hang on, stone the Bremont-wearing heretics!!! No... hang on.... :angel_not:

and the Anti-Bremont topic(s) did get well out of hand ! :thumbsdown:

Neil

there is a bit of a herd mentality on TZ....

Just like here, of course! ;-) In my experience neither TWF nor TZ-UK are any more tribalistic or herd-like than the other. Both seem to me to be overhwelmingly friendly places to discuss watches, with no particular group-think to which one must subscribe. In particular the larger size of TZ-UK (as well as TWF albeit on a smaller scale) makes that practically impossible -- there are too many opposing views for there to be any single viewpoint that one 'has to' follow.

It is unfortunately human nature for most people to be tribalistic. They view 'the other', the competitor, with suspicion and distrust, even when it is in reality no different to their 'home'. I can't say that I see things in that light. There just doesn't seem to be genuine need for it between TWf and TZ-UK. The similarities are far greater than the differences. Nevertheless, I recognise that many people do think that way.

....it certainly is more laid back here & you can be a little more 'free' with your thoughts

I've not noticed any differences in this respect. I have never felt in the slightest limited in what I could say either on TWF or TZ-UK. If you say that you like cyclopses, or don't like Omegas, or don't like Daytonas, or do like Timexes, there will be people who agree and disagree on both forums.

Good Post. When I started the thread it wasn't aimed at either TZ or here. Just that the sales corner here seemed to have picked up since TZ changed their Sales rules. I also noticed that the threads on TZ sales were not falling off the page so fast either.

Probably just a mix of economic conditions, rule changes and the cycle that all forums seem to go through.

Hi

I think it's probably the Bremont stuff that triggered this particular comment....each to their own I guess.

Thanks Neil

Edited by flame

The sales rules are there for a good reason.

Perhaps it would be an idea to hide the Sales section from members until the reach 50 posts - if that is possible.

I don't see why it's a problem anyway, as advised elsewhere, newbies can always buy from a website on the other side of the world and hope that the watch dodges the nice Customs folk on the way in... :whistle:

I think it's probably the Bremont stuff that triggered this particular comment....each to their own I guess.

Thanks Neil

Yup, Bremont (like Christopher Ward, Panerai, and a few others ;-) ) do tend to polarise opinion. :-)