• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
gene

Panerai High Maintenance / Low Reliability Situaion

Hello Forum

I bought Panerai Luminor 7 hr. ago. 3.5 years ago the watch stopped working reliably, would not keep charge.

In Panerai they told me it requires 3-4 years maintenance, so I spent $500 for maintenance.

Now it happened again.

For comparison, Rolex submarine is 6 yr. older and required maintenance at the same time, which is 10 yr. after purchase.

Is it normal for prime brand like Panerai to require so high maintenance? I find hard to believe.

While any mechanical watch require maintenance, it's reliability, design should require a lot less maintenance.

Or what else make the watch so good? It's price or frequent advertizing?

All machanical watches (and quartz for that matter) require some sort of service at some time and 3/4 years between service is not unusual

I would think that your Panerai has some sort of service guarantee !

Panerai keeps coming up on different forums about quality, sadly it seems they do have some issues as a brand, i own 2 and like them a lot but have had a few issues over the years, the most common issue i had when i owned hand winds is the stem and crown coming completely out of the case, not a major issue to sort but none the less frustrating.

There is a thread on the Paneristi forum running at the moment about the movements in some of the new models, turns out they are unmodified $80 eta imports inside a $5000 watch :thumbsdown: so it is not always true to say 'you get what you pay for'

There is a thread on the Paneristi forum running at the moment about the movements in some of the new models, turns out they are unmodified $80 eta imports inside a $5000 watch :thumbsdown: so it is not always true to say 'you get what you pay for'

Yeap, big thread about that also on TZ! If it was me that paid 5K for a watch is an $80 movement inside, I wound't rest until I'd managed to shove the watch where the sun doesn't shine on Mr. Angelo Bonati. :comando:

BTW, :welcome: to :rltrlt: Gene!

Edited by Kutusov

Yeap, big thread about that also on TZ! If it was me that paid 5K for a watch is an $80 movement inside, I wound't rest until I'd managed to shove the watch where the sun doesn't shine on Mr. Angelo Bonati. :comando:

BTW, :welcome: to :rltrlt: Gene!

yes that thread keeps on going......

panerai over priced fashion watches :partytime:

Like Clarkson said, if you went for a picnic you want the germans to build the hamper and the italians to do the food. Get that the wrong way round and it's a disaster!