• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
chris r

Affordable Automatics

I'm after a reasonably priced automatic chrono, I really like the ones with the glass backs. I saw a Ingersoll Alamo on e-bay, which I started to bid on, but when it reached 3 figures I bottled it as I really don't know much about Ingersoll's, they look nice but I wasn't sure how good the movements were for such a cheap price. I also liked the look of the Seiko 5's, but I couldn't find a chrono with the glass back.

With a million watch makes out there what could you recommend?

Probably a Chinese movement in the Ingersoll.

There are quite a lot of Chinese watches with crazy complications. Have a look for Aeromatic 1912s. It says they're German but the movement is definitely not German unless Germans have yellowish skin and slitty eyes (I can say that as I have yellowish skin and slitty eyes :P).

Also search for the Sea-Gull brand - bit higher quality I undertand. Goer is definitely of interest, too, although it is low quality from my experience.

There's a useful thread on Pistonheads.com which looks at £50 watches that members have bought... might wanna browse that, too.

Edited by shadowninja

I'm after a reasonably priced automatic chrono, I really like the ones with the glass backs. I saw a Ingersoll Alamo on e-bay, which I started to bid on, but when it reached 3 figures I bottled it as I really don't know much about Ingersoll's, they look nice but I wasn't sure how good the movements were for such a cheap price. I also liked the look of the Seiko 5's, but I couldn't find a chrono with the glass back.

when you say reasonably priced what figure did you have in mind ?

judging by your comments youn want to spend less than 100 ?

russian watches may be a good place to start plenty of knowledge on here. Or possibly an alpha newman they get good reviews and are in that price range.

when you say reasonably priced what figure did you have in mind ?

judging by your comments youn want to spend less than 100 ?

russian watches may be a good place to start plenty of knowledge on here. Or possibly an alpha newman they get good reviews and are in that price range.

Something around that price, yep. Just bought a Tag F1, so I can't justify another big outlay.

If you like the Seiko 5 Yobokies might help you mod it with a glass back.

Edited by Mart

Hi.

The Ingersoll Alamo isn't an auto chrono. The sub-dials are day\date registers, cunningly disguised to look like chrono dials.

I don't think you're gonna find an automatic chrono for under a ton. Maybe an old Seiko 6138\6139 but they won't have display backs.

The Seagull ST19 (chinese) and Poljot 3133 (russian) are good handwinding chrono movements and can be found in a lot of display-back models.. The Alpha Paul Newman mentioned above uses the ST19 and is currently going for around a ton brand new. I think the Russians may go for a little more.

If it's just a display back you're after, our host is doing a nice line in display-back hand winders. Maybe worth a look?

Thanks for the tips. I did find a very nice looking Poljot 3133 chrono handwinding on fleabay, a bit over my budget at £170 but it did look good. The only doubt in my mind about that was that I read that the majority of Poljot's sold on e-bay are probably fakes :aggressive:

I think you will struggle to find an automatic chronograph at that price.

You are probably looking at a hand wind 3133 or a hand wind Seagull (like Alpha)

Second-hand automatic chronographs can be a nightmare, with hands not re-setting properly etc. Before you know it you have a money pit on your hands.

Or there is always new Quartz chronographs in your budget.

Personally, I'd go for a new Poljot 3133 from a reputable seller on eBay.

Edited by Steve's Dad

I like the look of a couple of chronos (and a diver too) from UHR. Beyond the budget you mention but still very reasonable in auto-chrono terms, worth a look.