• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
jnash

Magnification

Other than the eye loupe and the add on for glasses, what do you guys use, i was thinking about getting something like this today..

htm018.jpg

what do you guys use?

what do you guys use?

FYI - I do almost all my watch work under one of these; same model - 3.5 diopter lens (1.85x magnification):

waveplus.jpg

I usually wear only +1.50 reading glasses, but sometimes supplement the lamp with a pair of +2.00's. :blind:

Funnily enough - one of these - the Luxo Wave+Plus. :blind:

I've actually got two of them - one with a different arm set-up, permanently fixed in a set position, the other easily movable.

Edited by SEIKO7A38

what do you guys use?

FYI - I do almost all my watch work under one of these; same model - 3.5 diopter lens (1.85x magnification):

I usually wear only +1.50 reading glasses, but sometimes supplement the lamp with a pair of +2.00's. :blind:

Funnily enough - one of these - the Luxo Wave+Plus. ..

I find Shesto headband spec/magnifyers adequate. You can wear them with reading glasses, they're lightweight and come with a set of 4 lenses of various dioptre. Best feature - they're only about £15! They're great for deatiled work and they do also have a little battery-powered light, but I've never needed that feature.

I just use loupes of different strengths, I think you will find most watchmakers just use loupes and only use microscopes/magnifiers for close inspection and not for working on movements unless like Silver Hawk you work on tuning fork movements.

I don't mess much (almost nothing) with watch movements so the only thing I have is a x10 eye loupe like you said.

grttr.jpg

My eyes are still 20/20 and I really just need it for those very, very small bits. I don't like to use though as the focal point is so near the object that the lens almost touches it.

5x loupe for general working, 10x loupe for fiddly bits and microscope for real fiddly bits.

The trouble I find with loupes is that they get all steamed up after about 10 seconds. Most pictures I've seen of old boy watchmakers they have ordianry specs with a small magnifyer lens attached to the rim, and hinged so they can flip them up out of the way.

5x loupe for general working, 10x loupe for fiddly bits and microscope for real fiddly bits.

The trouble I find with loupes is that they get all steamed up after about 10 seconds. Most pictures I've seen of old boy watchmakers they have ordianry specs with a small magnifyer lens attached to the rim, and hinged so they can flip them up out of the way.

Some watchmakers drill holes in the side of the loupes, I'v even seen (In Switzerland) loupes with part of the side cut away to prevent steaming up. Almost all professional watchmakers only ever use a magnifier/loupe in one eye weather it be attached to glasses or a loupe

Most pictures I've seen of old boy watchmakers they have ordianry specs with a small magnifyer lens attached to the rim, and hinged so they can flip them up out of the way.

Something similar to this?...Item number: 390326895636 (3.3x + 5.0x or 16.5x together)

or this?...Item number: 290631588528 (also available in a single version)

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Something similar to this?...Item number: 390326895636 (3.3x + 5.0x or 16.5x together)

That last item looks really great! 20x is too much but a 5x/10x version would be ideal! The led lights might really help!

That last item looks really great! 20x is too much but a 5x/10x version would be ideal! The led lights might really help!

Here's a 10x version...Item number: 390331110049

Most pictures I've seen of old boy watchmakers they have ordianry specs with a small magnifyer lens attached to the rim, and hinged so they can flip them up out of the way.

Many thanks indeed. They are still available so I have ordered a set. I have taken the first step. No doubt I will be back with more questions.

Cheers

Dave