• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
chris r

Watchfinder.co.uk

As the title says, has anyone ever bought a watch from watchfinder? They look fairly legit, not quite sure why they post pictures of the watches before they give them a wash and brush up though.

They have a few watches of interest, but obviously don't want to order from them if they are a bit iffy. I do know that if I just saw their eBay pages I probably wouldn't as they don't really say much about what they are selling.

You may find a finger wagged at you by the mods - "Links to or URLs for commercial sites selling watches or watch related items are not permitted".

That aside no I haven't.

oops i cant amend the post to remove the link.

If you hear a loud knock on the door just hide behind the sofa - that's what I do.

I have used them and everything was fine, really excellent watch re condition which was as described. I have frequent Emails from them telling me what has come into stock.but none of the items are anything but 100% clean and tidy, never seen anything of theirs less than spot on.

any thing else do ask.

regards

beach bum

Well, I ordered a watch from them on Monday. I got a call Wednesday to tell me the polishing machine had broken down so they can't despatch the watch till it's shiny & clean. So I'm still waiting. :(

Bought a Breitling from then about four months ago. Watch was pristine, it was despatched really quickly and arrived perectly packed the very next day. As stated above, they certainly keep you informed of incoming and new arrivals once they have you on their books.

i bought a watch from their shop on a well known auction site (at the time i didnt know they were a normal shop too). they took my money and then after i phoned them to find out why it hadnt turned up on the next day as promised in their advert i was told "oh yeah, we were going to get in touch and let you know the watch was sold elsewhere so we havent got it any more" needless to say they did have my money.

i was assured the money would be refunded at the end of the phone call and the next day when i phoned up to find out what was occuring i found out they were going to do it after this phone call. still took another day to get notification of a refund. I left them feedbck which reflected my experience only to have them leave a lie in retaliation.

looks like mine may have been an isolated incident but i wouldnt try to buy from them again.

i bought a watch from their shop on a well known auction site (at the time i didnt know they were a normal shop too). they took my money and then after i phoned them to find out why it hadnt turned up on the next day as promised in their advert i was told "oh yeah, we were going to get in touch and let you know the watch was sold elsewhere so we havent got it any more" needless to say they did have my money.

i was assured the money would be refunded at the end of the phone call and the next day when i phoned up to find out what was occuring i found out they were going to do it after this phone call. still took another day to get notification of a refund. I left them feedbck which reflected my experience only to have them leave a lie in retaliation.

looks like mine may have been an isolated incident but i wouldnt try to buy from them again.

You can report this to ebay & they should remove the feedback

It amazes me that anyone would buy a watch anywhere else but here. We all know and trust each other and share our interest on these pages. You'll find any watch you want right here, whether on Roy's main site or in the forum sales section. All you need is a bit of patience, until the watch you want comes along. In the meantime, there's fun to be had and much learning to be done.

Well, I ordered a watch from them on Monday. I got a call Wednesday to tell me the polishing machine had broken down so they can't despatch the watch till it's shiny & clean. So I'm still waiting. :(

Did you ever get your watch?

I ask, because I'm currently experiencing some issues...

i bought a watch from them and it was the right price, it wasnt mint as id hoped but on reflection it was a fair deal. i do think every watch gets a polish so they may buy a few wrecks and do them up.

I have seen a very nice Raymond Weil watch on their website (please don't rush over and buy it!). They are pushing a £500 membership that proposes:

• 24 Months Warranty
  • Health check within warranty period
  • Refurbishment within warranty period
  • Free Battery Replacements for life
  • £150 Voucher
  • Exclusive Discounts
  • 5% Discounted Commission Fees
  • 10% Discounted Servicing
  • Concierge Service
  • Price Matching

As this will be my first quality watch I'm not sure whether that deal is worth having - does anyone have any thoughts please ?

Guest robert75

Judging by the experiences of others on here I would rather get a Seiko 5 for 50 quid.

I purchased a Rolex Submariner from this company on the promise of their website which supplies, and I quote; 'All our watches are in the best possible condition both internally and externally' under the heading of 'Just Like New', and in other copy on their website they claim that 'all our stock is as good as it can be before we sell it'.

On receiving the watch it had a damaged bezel (which they had told me was being replaced - only the insert was actually replaced), scratches to the rear of the case where the strap had been attached and the tool had slipped on both sides, a chip on the glass and a very poorly finished bracelet clasp.

The company did offer me a full refund. However, during the lengthy correspondence they also offered an interesting insight into how the quality of the watches they sell are, by their own admission certainly not in the ‘best possible’ condition.

They told me (via eMail correspondence) that they would not honour their website standards and refurbish my watch to ‘just as new’ because (in their own words):

1. The glass was assessed by their watchmakers, and they felt that its condition didn’t justify a new glass

2. Replacing the gold bezel would have substantially increased their sale price

4. They are under no legal obligation to replace parts where the cost involved would be unreasonably disproportionate to them

5. Their 'Just As New' statement did not appear on the advertisement for my actual watch

6. There is no reference to 'Just As New' in their terms and conditions

7. The watch is 9 years old and has been brought back to a reasonable standard. Funny but I always thought ‘reasonable’ and ‘best possible’ were rather different?

So, if you do buy a watch from them and it’s refurbished to a less than ‘best possible’ standard, just bear in mind that yes, you can have a full refund, but your deposit (in my case £2950) will potentially be tied up for weeks (in my case 4, whilst it was being refurbished), and you may not get a watch that has bears much relation to the standards their website claims. You may consider it a risk worth taking, but I certainly won’t be buying from them again and neither will any of the friends (both prospective and past customers) that I have told.

Oh, and if you are expecting ‘the highest standards of customer care’ then you may wish to consider that after just one eMail exchanged between myself and their Sales Manager, my complaint was passed to their Legal Counsel. I did send an eMail collectively to their Directors, but that was also passed back to their Legal Counsel. Interesting approach to achieving the ‘highest standards of customer care’ don’t you think?

I was always taught that if you can't say anthing good about someone, don't say anything, so all I have to say about my experiences with them is :- ......... ............... .................. ............ .................. ............ ............

I bought a Tudor heritage chronograph from them last year. I requested pictures of the actual watch to be emailed to me as the watch on their website was " pre-refurbished " and I wanted to see what I would actually receive. All looked good so I sent them a bank transfer & the next day it arrived as promised. Within a few minutes of its arrival I was on the phone to them, 1) I couldn't even get it over my (not overly large) hands as 2 of the links had been removed & were missing and 2) the clasp was fitted upside down, it was the correct way up in the crappy phone pictures I'd been sent.

I was told they would try & get some links and the clasp was probably fitted upside down by mistake during refurbishment.

I told them I didn't want the watch if their "monkey" who they had working on it didn't even know which way around the clasp went what else might he have done incorrectly inside the watch !!!

Within half an hour of receiving the watch it was back in the post to them, I did receive a refund straight away though.

I must say that after reading the comments here, having paid a deposit on a Tag Microtimer I was rather nervous about how it would turn up post-refurb. I picked it up today from their concession in Royal Exchange (just off Bank) and I am happy to report the watch was A1 condition, and the sales guy was both very polite and knew a lot about watches in general and this one in particular. So based on that experience, they seem fine to me?

Interesting to read the various experiences. I bought a watch recently via a live auction but only because I had previously seen and checked the watch. Whilst it is in great condition I wouldn't necessarily agree with the listing - so if I had bought blind, I would have probably overpaid and / or been disappointed.

I am looking at a few on watch finders site but I think I may arrange a visit to one if their shops to inspect prior to purchase.

Personally is only really buy from a forum member, brand new off the Internet or in store or second hand if I can actually hold the watch.

Yes, with these things there is always a degree of caveat emptor - I opted to pick it up in person,and do whenever possible (excepting this forum, which is nice) - I've been burned with online buys before, but that's a long story...

I bought a Tudor off them, the pics were not clear in the slightest but took the gamble with it. I have to say for its age I am extremely pleased with it. It arrived well packaged and the service was very good. I think their prices can sometimes be on the higher side but its swings and roundabouts as you do generally get a 12 month warranty. In my case I managed to swing a 24 month warranty and one free service / refurb when I want it.

The watch its self had been well polished and a new glass fitted. The only down side was some slight marking on the face - to be expected for such an old watch and a slight dent in an end link where they have clamped it. Overall though, for a old watch its a lovely example. As soon as I got it I took it to my father in law who is a horologist and had him check it over, the movement had only recently been serviced and was in a lovely tidy condition. Overall I would actually buy from them again.

The only real negative I have is that sometimes the gents on the other end of the phone can be a little...well.... sales person like...if you get what I mean?