• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
martinzx

Which Watch Started This Obsession :)

Hi Gents,

This has probably been done before at some point, but so what :)

What watch started you collecting & why, please share your experience, thanks.

It started many years ago, I loved my Timex when I was a kid, & I always loved watches, my grandad was a watchie & it was his work watch that got me really into watches, he died in 1968, my dad had it abused it for years he always wore, work, rain or shine :)

He died several years ago now & here it is still going strong, even though well worn, a 1946 Omega 15 Jewel :)

sony%2520camera5.jpg

watches016.jpg

Collecting with the one that got away? I wanted a Seiko divers for my 21st and my Dad got me a slimline gold Roamer which I hated. After that I just started collecting, Yes I got the divers watch.

Edited by Haggis

Collecting with the one that got away? I wanted a Seiko divers for my 21st and my Dad got me a slimline gold Roamer which I hated. After that I just started collecting, Yes I got the divers watch.

What happened to the Roamer, do you still have it?

My watch love started approx 7 years ago on a meeting with some friends of mine.

One of them was wearing Omega Seamaster Professional 300 M (James Bond)... AND... that was it.

Later bought the model, but didn't stop there... :)

Well my Dad said you will like it when you reach 40. When that time came I took the watch out of the box, it wasn't going. So I put a new battery in it. It still wouldnt go for more than 20 minutes. I had it seviced but it was still not working. I took it out the back and hit it with a hammer. This is the only time that I have hated something so much, but 19 years owning something that I never wanted was just breaking point.

Well my Dad said you will like it when you reach 40. When that time came I took the watch out of the box, it wasn't going. So I put a new battery in it. It still wouldnt go for more than 20 minutes. I had it seviced but it was still not working. I took it out the back and hit it with a hammer. This is the only time that I have hated something so much, but 19 years owning something that I never wanted was just breaking point.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This Amphibia was the first watch I bought for myself:

amphibianato.jpg

After wearing it for a year or two I decided I needed something more dressy as well, so I bought another Vostok because I was very pleased with my first one. Unfortunately this one wasn't so hardy. Automatic winding stopped working and the logo fell off!

Vostokbroken.jpg

In my quest to replace it I bought this Seiko 5:

seikogreygoldtan.jpg

I suppose the Seiko is the one that really kicked it off, because shortly after I bought another two Seiko 5's. I spent such a long time looking at them and they were only £35-£45 or so on ebay at the time, so I thought I may as well get a couple more.

The one that started for me (and was how I found this forum) wasmy 1908 Waltham pocket watch. I came on here like all noobs asking loads of questions about it, which were all answered by the helpful members.

RogersWatchPictures005.jpg

I was so impressed with the wrist watches on display that it wasn't very long before I had started a small collection...mainly Casios, but soon moved on to Seikos, and most recently a Rolex. I must admit that I do love chatting on here and visit the site nearly every day.

Although the Rolex was my 'grail', there are still a couple I would like...a Bulova Spaceview, the square one (just missed out on one tonight on eBay, complete with box etc...a non runner, but I'm sure Paul could have fixed it), or an Omega f300.

glycine1.jpg

It would have to be this.... sold to frogspawn many moons ago

or possibly this as I bought both of them on the same day

mini-p1020705.jpg

THis one went to Tall_Tim

Edited by gaz64

It was a Rado for me, an impulse buy, after around six months I didn't like it at all but it got me into watches. My subsequent purchases were more successful!

I bought a Bulova Spaceview Accutron new from a local watch shop in Farnborough. It is the square version, and has worked continuously ever since. Had its first service and adjustment for modern cells by that marvellous electric watch wizard named Paul in Brighton. That was the start really!

Mike

My watch love started approx 7 years ago on a meeting with some friends of mine.

One of them was wearing Omega Seamaster Professional 300 M (James Bond)... AND... that was it.

Later bought the model, but didn't stop there... :)

It was a Rado for me, an impulse buy, after around six months I didn't like it at all but it got me into watches. My subsequent purchases were more successful!

I bought a Bulova Spaceview Accutron new from a local watch shop in Farnborough. It is the square version, and has worked continuously ever since. Had its first service and adjustment for modern cells by that marvellous electric watch wizard named Paul in Brighton. That was the start really!

Mike

Excellent so far :), but how about some pictures please

I suppose the one that started this off for me would be an ex-RAF Jaeger Le Coultre MkXII I picked up in the early `80s from a Leicester jewelers shop for the princely sum of £25 & sold in the early `90s for £250, I wish I still had it :sadwalk:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

The Breitling Shark,black face second row far right. The second mainstream watch i bought years later was the black faced Omega Seamaster. Having a work mate like Mach set me off on a road to ruin and i have got through many watches since. Of this particular collection i only still have the two Seamasters.

andiwatches007-1.jpg

Having a work mate like Mach set me off on a road to ruin and i have got through many watches since.

So Andy, it`s all my fault!?! :P

Edited by mach 0.0013137

Yep,it IS your fault ,you were a shocking influence on a persons bank balance :D .......i dont regret any of it and it was really great to have a like minded work mate :yahoo:

mind you i still havnt bought my wife the new kitchen ive been promising her for years :whistle:

I got the sack circa 2001 & the morning after, didn't put my watch on.

That stuck & I didn't have a watch on my wrist for years.

In 2010, a pal in my Land Rover club was flogging a G Shock he bought in Turkey. I researched it on line, decided against it & instead bought one of these:

gw_m5600bc_1jf_japan-big5.jpg

I kicked on from this & had a collection of about a dozen G Shocks.........

.......then I joined TWF.

Dec