• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
nevets10

Saddam Hussein Watch Collection

Doing some research on Images for a photography class I came across this watch related oddness - I like Martin Parr's photography, did not know he collected watches too.

From the Artist:

"I have long been fascinated by the way photography and society interact. We are bombarded with images every day and most of these are on billboards, magazines and even objects. Over the years I have collected various forms of vernacular photography such as postcards, but more recently have expanded this collecting into objects.

"Most of these watches originate from Iraq where many versions of watches with photographic portraits of Saddam have been manufactured. Some of these are expensive Swiss made watches while some are relatively cheap. Saddam also had a penchant for giving away watches to both foreign guests and his own Republican Guard. The final watches are anti-Saddam ones made and produced in the USA."

Link

http://www.photoeye.com/BookteaseLight/bookteaselight.cfm?catalog=zc376

(A few images from the book)

It has to be an ego thing. Couldn't imagine wanting to wear one myself though, not unless it had Batman on it ;)

Item 150776123057 ....I'm seriously thinking of having a bid. Good Evertonian Was Gadaffi!!!

That is awesome !

I know....Fell in love with it when I saw it. The missus thinks i'm crackers though!!!

Item 150776123057 ....I'm seriously thinking of having a bid. Good Evertonian Was Gadaffi!!!

That is awesome !

I know....Fell in love with it when I saw it. The missus thinks i'm crackers though!!!

The missus is right :)

Great! I'd love to wear that to my local.... there would be some seriously odds looks given. Ask Silver Hawk, it's his local too.

Actually I'm not sure the blue rinse brigade from our local would give a s**t.

That is awesome !

To be fair she probably is but I love it all the same!! lol

That is awesome !

To be fair she probably is but I love it all the same!! lol

And the missus lol