• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New Arrival - Speedmaster Content

Ever since my obsession with watches began around 15 or so years ago, the Speedmaster has been the watch for me. The only snag being I've never been able to afford one :(

I've had a couple of Seamasters and so many other watches I've lost count. Anyway, last week I got the chance to join the Speedy Club at a price I could afford. Well it would have been rude not to :D

After an agonising wait of 10 days for delivery from the US, my 3510.50 arrived today - and I love it.

IMG_2247.jpg

My taste in watches has evolved, like many others I talk to, from big chunky divers to smaller more refined pieces. Some would say it's my age, and they may well be right. So this 39mm (38.85mm to be precise) case suits me perfectly - elegantly understated but undeniably a Speedmaster.

The condition is outstanding as I hope the pictures will convey, with no marks of any note to the case, bracelet or dial. There are the expected scratches to the hesalite that I'll sort out myself.

The Omega 3220 auto movement is a joy - super smooth. The chrono function works and resets perfectly.

I'm absolutely delighted with this watch and had to share the joy - I hope you enjoy my very modest pics.

Cheers,

David

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent. Congratulations. Nice pics, too.

My observation on the 'reduced' size is that it's ironic in that the dial actually looks more spacious than the regular Speedy. The sundials are more spread out, I guess. Or appear so. Both are, as you say, understated class. Mine (3570.50) on the wrist as I type, and still gives me great joy every time I wear it.

Will you give it a go on leather, too? NATO? (One of the many pleasures of Speedy ownership is that it suits just about everything, IMHO.)

Edited by Draygo

Brown leather - sounds like an excuse to repost the 'first Omega in space' homage look I tried yesterday! I'll definitely be keeping it that way for the time being.

autospace2.jpg

Previously it was black leather along the lines of recent leather Speedmaster straps. William_Wilson's is definitely the correct one and looks great. Though in practice they work quite well a few ways.

speedyautoblack.jpg

Edited by itsguy

• 8 months later...

I'm a 'reduced' owner myself and very happy with to, although I do sometimes wish I had gone with the 'Pro' but at the time time it just seem a bit too big. I like the look of the brown leather strap and might try it myself. However if you were going to go for a "pro' today which model would do you think offers the best value?

cheers

b

However if you were going to go for a "pro' today which model would do you think offers the best value?

'Value' .. is a bit subjective really. The most economical route into Moonwatch ownership, as I mentioned elsewhere, is to buy a model post 1969 and pre-2000 or thereabouts, as long as it's not a Limited Edition. These can be picked up quite often at fairly 'reasonable' prices. In terms of investment value then it's definitely the pre 1969 models, both 861 and 321, especially the Ed White model or any of the 'transitionals' and especially those with original features like dials, hands Etc. Some of the Limited Editions have done well but the word 'Limited' is often a bit of a misnomer and appear to be more of a marketing opportunity.

However if you were going to go for a "pro' today which model would do you think offers the best value?

'Value' .. is a bit subjective really. The most economical route into Moonwatch ownership, as I mentioned elsewhere, is to buy a model post 1969 and pre-2000 or thereabouts, as long as it's not a Limited Edition. These can be picked up quite often at fairly 'reasonable' prices. In terms of investment value then it's definitely the pre 1969 models, both 861 and 321, especially the Ed White model or any of the 'transitionals' and especially those with original features like dials, hands Etc. Some of the Limited Editions have done well but the word 'Limited' is often a bit of a misnomer and appear to be more of a marketing opportunity.

Sorry but I wasn't as clear as I thought, as I was referring to the current models which seem to vary enormously in price.

cheers

b

Sorry but I wasn't as clear as I thought, as I was referring to the current models which seem to vary enormously in price.

cheers

b

Ah yes well, they do seem to produce quite a few models these days including the new co-axial, but I think to most people when you talk about a Professional, they think of the standard Moonwatch, the Speedmaster Professional with Hessalite crystal.

To me, It may not be the 321 from the early days but it's still the best and most authentic model they produce and it's still qualified for space use and has been used for such for a good while.. It's good 'value' too as it has a pretty good resale value but I'd still always buy second hand in the best condition I could find, as you then get over losing that first depreciation you get taking it out of the dealer....

This is the one.... http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/professional-moonwatch/35705000

Edited by artistmike

cheers

b

Ah yes well, they do seem to produce quite a few models these days ..........

This is the one.... http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/professional-moonwatch/35705000

Nice one thx Mike :)

• 4 weeks later...