• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sisyphus

A Rare Landeron Accumulator

Browsing eBay-UK today, I came across a listing for a watch that Silverhawk describes on his website as "extremely rare." Indeed, he says that he has never seen one for sale.

The movement is the rarity: an accumulator version of the Landeron 4750 that can be recharged using a conventional battery. For his discussion and some photos, go here: http://www.electric-...s/batteries.php.

Two photos of the watch for sale appear below. The listing is item number 140789058864. As I write this, the auction has 6 days and 2 hours to run. I am fairly certain that one person I Know will be among the bidders.

Swisselectric.jpg

Swisselectric2.jpg

I am fairly certain that one person I Know will be among the bidders.

It's already in my watch list and I've already spoken to my bank manager.

May the best win the auction!

(Paul is the best for sure :yes: )

Edited by Vaurien

If my Lottery Ticket comes up - - I'll let you know how much you can go up to Paul :yes:

Best of Luck!

I think it will go cheap, as the chap has listed it as "Swisselectric" all one word, and if you search electric watches it won't come up.............so you may not have too much of a battle on your hands, although there is a reserve price.................

Hope you get it Paul, i know what its like hunting that grail watch............... still searching for mine...........

Congratualtions Paul TTIWWP as soon as! :partytime: :yahoo: :tongue2: :thumbup:

A pictorial tutorial on the restoration would be "just wunnerful" :yes:

Edited by mel

Well done Paul............ does it have a battery in the case back which is charged up when you plug another one into the side? is that right? Would be great to see some close up pictures.......... :yes:

Now that's a fantastic looking watch. I am green with envy.

It's the case design I absolutely adore; I had assumed (wrongly?) that it was 'Midland' that used it. I have a huge search string to catch this type which includes a billion permutations on the word Asymmetric & it still missed it. 'Isometric' indeed!!

So how many watches used this case?

Congratulations Paul, I don't really mind losing to the person who introduced me to this world.

So how many watches used this case?

"Midland" does seems to be the most common (wrong word!) one but I think I've seen another ... but cannot remember what was on the dial.

I'm quite pleased to be getting this new watch; my first significant purchase for sometime. The "swisselectric", ESA logo and "4750" on the dial all indicate that this was probably a demonstrator / exhibition watch. And as Sisyphus points out, certainly the first accumulator version of the Landeron 4750 movement that I've ever seen for sale; they were not produced for very long. I only know of three; all owned by the same collector and all with "Avia" on the dial.

It will be interesting to see if the accumulator is capable of holding any charge at all.

Congratualtions Paul TTIWWP as soon as! :partytime: :yahoo: :tongue2: :thumbup:

A pictorial tutorial on the restoration would be "just wunnerful" :yes:

Congratulations!

We were all wishing for this happy end! :partytime: :russian: :yahoo: :thumbup:

Now we will never know what the open market would have valued it at.

Sure i'm not the only one that would have been passively watching with interest.

Paul do you ever let an auction go to conclusion and are your resources infinite??

OK, maybe the last part of that question was a little inappropriate... Congrats - Really!

Also..., Everyone assumes you will do a restoration. I am of the firm belief that only the internals should be touched to get it back up to snuff. There is a lot to be said for originality. It's not like this thing is a mess!

Paul do you ever let an auction go to conclusion and are your resources infinite??

OK, maybe the last part of that question was a little inappropriate... Congrats - Really!

I think the first part is inappropriate as well.

All we will ever know is it must have been more than the lowest possible ebay reserve :lol:

It's enough for me to know it has passed into the hands of the top leccy guru in the world, and will be loved, and stroked, and polished and cleaned, and loved, and might even be made to work, and loved, and stroked, and polished - - - - :ph34r:

OCD? Naaah!

:notworthy:

Edited by mel

All we will ever know is it must have been more than the lowest possible ebay reserve :lol:

It's enough for me to know it has passed into the hands of the top leccy guru in the world, and will be loved, and stroked, and polished and cleaned, and loved, and might even be made to work, and loved, and stroked, and polished - - - - :ph34r:

OCD? Naaah!

:notworthy:

Thanks Mel. I have no idea what the buyer's reserve was but we reached a mutually agreeable price and the deal was done...so I guess that must have been higher than his reserve. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose: 4-5 years ago, I tried to buy an Omega Speedsonic and made an offer to the seller of £500...seller turned this down and let the auction run to completion....I got it for £250 :D.

The watched tuned up today....accumulator voltage 0.037 volts....somewhat short of the 1.5 volts needed to drive the watch :lol:. I'm charging it as I type and will see what I can get it up to...and how long it will hold the charge. Photos tomorrow hopefully.

Charged up the accumulator for 20 hours and it read 1.402 volts at the end of the charge. After disconnecting and leaving for another 4 hours it had settled at 1.358 volts and wasn't falling further, so time to try it out! :yes:

Some photos:

A fairly standard Landeron 4750 although there are a couple of minor difference compared to others; I think this just reflects the fact that these accumulator versions were the very earliest of the Swiss electric movements. Some patina on the dial which doesn't worry me at all.

Swisselectric%20Accumulator%20Landeron%204750%201.jpg

Swisselectric%20Accumulator%20Landeron%204750%203.jpg

Components of the case back to hold the accumulator:

Swisselectric%20Accumulator%20Landeron%204750%204.jpg

Swisselectric%20Accumulator%20Landeron%204750%205.jpg

Swisselectric%20Accumulator%20Landeron%204750%206.jpg

[more]

Case details with the original dummy crown covering the charging point:

Swisselectric%20Accumulator%20Landeron%204750%207.jpg

Swisselectric%20Accumulator%20Landeron%204750%208.jpg

Assembled watch running well....but for how long on a single charge? :huh:

Swisselectric%20Accumulator%20Landeron%204750%2010.jpg

Swisselectric%20Accumulator%20Landeron%204750%2011.jpg

Swisselectric%20Accumulator%20Landeron%204750%2012.jpg

I'm glad it's gone to a good home. I really like the look of it. Nicely retro, comic book lightening bolts, stylish face and case without looking over the top.

Nice one Paul.

Bet you're relieved that it charged. What is the alternative if the accumulator dies? Can you get rechargeable cells in that size?

I think the first part is inappropriate as well.

From Post #15: Also..., Everyone assumes you will do a restoration. I am of the firm belief that only the internals should be touched to get it back up to snuff. There is a lot to be said for originality. It's not like this thing is a mess!

It looks like you chose to disregard the last part of my comment, but It sounds like you are leaning more this direction.

I don't mean to step on any toes (well, maybe once or twice - but not this time) and it seems like there are about 4-5 people on here that are Golden and you do not dare say a word against them or the entire society will get you. I really was just joking. It seems that if you don't put a smiley face after a comment - your out for war and you can not possibly be joking or goofing with someone. I formally apologize for any hurt feelings as you have helped me out tremendously in the past and many others on here.

Friends...??

Robert (The Old Toe-Stepper)

Nice one Paul.

Bet you're relieved that it charged. What is the alternative if the accumulator dies? Can you get rechargeable cells in that size?

Not sure Andy, although Leclanche are still making capacitors. If it hadn't worked, I guess I could have bought one of the smaller ones that are used in Seiko Kinetics and made the appropriate adaptors.

Friends...??

Of course.