• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
kevkojak

Rose Gold Waltham Royal

Just thought I'd share this.

Came to me as part of a trade (2 of mine for 2 of his).

An open-faced Waltham Royal in 14 carat rose gold dating to 1888 (Waltham database).

Never been much of a pocket watch fan, but he had it to swap so we did a deal which was essentially the gold weight (estimated) plus 10% for the movement - although it's only running on and off.

Beautiful porcelain dial with a small hairline crack around the 11 and 12.

I won't lie, since pennies are tight this will likely be heading on in the near future (as soon as gold climbs back over £12 per gram I should think!) but for those who admire these things, here are a few snaps!

DSC03668.jpg

DSC03669.jpg

DSC03670.jpg

DSC03671.jpg

DSC03672.jpg

Oh dear, was it yours Mike?

I like the lettering on the dial which is very rare to have it in a "Gothic" style, some of these dials were handpainted ( not this one ) by Mr. Moorhouse, then your into money!! :D

Oh dear, was it yours Mike?

Nope. I just hate to see them go to the gold graveyard! :stop: ....... and I can't save them all!

Mike

Edited by tixntox

It would be a pity to scrap an original case, and it would be difficult to re-case the movement because the cases were specially made to fit these 1888Model movements. These movements will not fit a standard 16 size case. Much better to sell it on complete.

Once that case is gone, you'll never find another one. Remember that.

Nobody makes watch-cases anymore.

Think about what you're doing. You're destroying a piece of history if that case is melted. You can throw the movement under a truck once you're done, because you wont' find anywhere else to put it.

:D

Fear not chaps, I'd never scrap a piece like this!

All I meant was that it'll be sold at what I paid (the price I did the trade at), but that price is heavily dependant on the gold market!

Besides, I have no idea what actual gold content there is - the whole thing weighs 99 grams, so probably about 40 grams of gold (we sort of worked on 35g-40g, then bumped it up a bit to consider the movement).

That's still £700/£750 of gold - which is why it's hard finding someone who'll buy gold watches like this for something other than scrap.

Service and a clean, then e.bay I reckon. I don't particularly trust it, but this need's a large market I think - gotta be sold at close to £1000. :eek:

It could be up for swapsies again if the right Omega was to cross my path! ^_^

Edited by kevkojak

Watchcase makers DO exist - I know of one in Hertfordshire - but a case like that would be in the region of £2,500 to make from scratch these days.