• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Restoration

I had gave up on cars a while back they were just money pits but after getting the golf I thought it would be nice to try and put it back to being original as I could get it. As usual the sensible thing would have been to buy a nice original one in the first place but where's the fun in that and the basic shell on this one is dead straight. So the watches and shirts are on hold at the moment and I have rented some space in a small workshop which I should be able to get into next week as I try and gather up some bits and bobs for it.

Unfortunately you have to figure in the "GTI Tax" some of the stuff for Mk2's is getting sold for silly money :eek:

So far I have managed to pick up new clocks as the old ones in the car had the boy race white stickers on them, the original front and rear lights with the proper orange indicators for the bumper and wings and hopefully this afternoon all the exterior plastic trims including a twin lamp grill and an unpainted tailgate spoiler.

And this last weekend, whilst not rare as there was a gazzilioin of the made but getting a full interior virtually as new is nigh on impossible these days. Currently down at a local valeters being properly cleaned. Next thing I'm on the look out for is a set of original BBS wheels but they are proving to be a bit difficult to find at reasonable money.

IMAG0474.jpg

IMAG0451-1.jpg

Here's a before complete with the boy racer roll cage

IMAG0277-1.jpg

• Like 2

Sounds exciting mate, looking forward to seeing how this goes and good luck with the restoration.

Personally I think going for BBS wheels is a mistake, Bleedin horrible design and impossible to keep clean (IMHO of course). I quite like the wheels you've got on there already, if they fit a mk3 and are in decent condition I'd be tempted to make you an offer for em...

Sounds exciting mate, looking forward to seeing how this goes and good luck with the restoration.

Personally I think going for BBS wheels is a mistake, Bleedin horrible design and impossible to keep clean (IMHO of course). I quite like the wheels you've got on there already, if they fit a mk3 and are in decent condition I'd be tempted to make you an offer for em...

+1 had a golf with the original 14" BBS RA's on and they were impossible to keep clean and corroded quite badly.

I always hankered after a run out big bumper GTI, soon as i got one, i wanted an early chrome trimmed small bumper model! If it was mine id be tempted by OE 15" G60 steels

3445298748_7d2fbc6519.jpg

or possibly some ATS Cups

4102680004_large.jpg

Both pics "borrowed from the web............

I don't get it. It's a Golf, not a Beetle, where's the "charm"? Good luck anyway. :)

BTW I had a new one, a basic 1.3 in 1985, it's still local and still going strong.

The MK2 GTi was the second water-cooled VW that I owned, and the most fun that I've ever had...

I've had nominally faster cars since, but nothing will ever match the first time that I drove down a straight country road near home in the MK2, and, as the clock struck 3,000 revs in third, wondered WTF I'd bought!

Brilliant fun cars!

And a computer, too!

YMMV

LOL Mark the GTI, especially the 16v, was a much more soulful car than the 1.3... I fitted a turbo technics conversion with Stealth racing injector setup to my Freg 16v 3dr... superb and very very fast car... pics are on here somewhere... small bumper, helios blue. Wish i had brought it with me here :(

If it was mine id be tempted by OE 15" G60 steels

3445298748_7d2fbc6519.jpg

Or maybe a set of steels like this :)

311247_500831793268933_1041017149_n.jpg

Picked up a few more bits and it's going in to have the freshly cleaned interior fitted next week including an uncut center console that i managed to find which will do away with the flashing mobile disco stereo that is fitted in the existing console and lights up the whole interior at night, not a good thing !!! and I can then fit a radio in the original position up the top of the dash board where It's meant to be. I also spoke to a guy who might be able to get me a set of original BBS RA wheels.

After that I'll get all the old wheel arches and trim taken off and hopefully not find any rust, if all is ok the new ones will get fitted.

• Like 1

Did some digging and found this info on my old car...

I promised people some pics of this one a while back so..... Heres a money pit I prepared earlier... £800 Golf GTI Mk2 16v.... then fitted with Power steering, big brakes, OZ alloys, eibach/koni suspension, Eibach ARBs, Turbo Tehnics 16v Turbo kit... fully recond / balanced / modified engine internals, new zorst etc etc... even doing all the work (bar rolling road tune) muself it was a £4k+ Engine in a <£2k car... easy 210bhp with effortless torque and easy neutral handling... would keep up with a standard scooby easily on backroads.... im not saying what it sold for before I left the UK but I wasnt happy... sigh.... would I do it again... of course! biggrin.gif

golffront34adsmallky5.jpg

golffullsideadsmalloe6.jpg

cimg8472smalllc5.jpg

I forgot to mention that the TT turbo kit was an early 90s thing... massively expensive when new with FMIC and new exhaust maifold and full stainless kit with braided oil feeds etc... it gave about 180bhp when new and used an extra ECU to control 1 extra fuel injector which went in a fitting on the special elbow (top left in the engine pic - I had a vac take off fitted in there for a boost gauge you can see the mechnical tube)... The problem with adding only one injector is that the boosted air blew the fuel across the inlets to no. 4 cyclinder best and no 1 got starved of the fuel it needed so eventually this overheated no1 cyl and killed the engine if you asked more than 180bhp out of it. Obviously 180bhp these days isnt much.... so I ditched the TT ECU and single injector and ran this with a modern fuel ECU and 4 extra VR6 injectors that were machined (along with some brilliant - and now very hard to find - adaptor plates from an early injected vauxhall cavalier SRi) into the original inlet manifold with a new extra fuel rail - you can see it along the front of the engine with the hoses coming out for the extra injectors which are a bit outa sight but you can make out the yellow connectors on some of em....

So it ran 4 x K Jet mechanical 16v injector system alongside the 4 x electronically controlled injectors.... there was 250bhp there if I wanted it with some work, relaible too if Id have bored the engine out... but it was a bit of a handful and not as reliable with the 1.8 like that so we took it to 210 (it used to blow its hoses off even then if you were really going for it... damn i miss that car... wink.gif ).

The engine I think is now in a Mk1 as the guy that bought it was overawed when he got it and wanted to drag his mk1.

BTW I wouldnt have built one of these again..., there are much easier and more modern ways to get this performance outa a golf... 1.8T anyone wink.gif

old quotes, but hey there it was... I loved that car and wish i still owned it :( But, all is not lost, I now own its modern equivalent... a brand new Polo Gti. :D

Edited by JonW

A thought? Are you also going to go back to small bumpers?

The VW Police at some of the meets I went to have been continually battering me with the same question, they are even more anal than watch guys :lol: :lol:

Yes it would have been on small bumpers when new and the thought has crossed my mind but all the exterior & interior trim I have bought is all to update it to 90's spec with the big bumpers, chuck on a cheap dateless registration at some point and no one will know. :)

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

Here's the Holy Grail of MK2 parts :lol: :lol:

A hugely expensive option back in the day and I have only ever seen one car fitted with it. If you happen to have one lying around ???

4054275.jpg

eurp_0806_11_z+1989_vw_golf_cl_mk2+gauge_cluster+d%20%20igifiz.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-Mark-2-MK-II-DIGIFIZ-Digital-dash-7000-7k-G60-GTI-16V-RALLYE-SPEEDO-KIT-/110965146039?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D2920084173983616690%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D300581715334%26

:eek:

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

seems ok value to me, grab it!

I had a few holy grail parts that I never fitted, and sold on when i sold my car. NIB Pop out rear windows and also a set of brand new anti roll bars that were the last set eibach made, sigh. Both those sold for silly money on ebay back in the day :/

• 1 month later...

Even though it was going to be a daily driver it's to good to run through the winter. Even in the cold snap we have had it was flawless, started as always first time and just went but it would be a shame to let the salt and sh!t get to it so I bought another Golf for running around in and rented a bit of space in a workshop where I will strip the MK2 down in preparation for a decent paint job. A proper windows out doors off job. I figure if I'm going to do it I may as well get it done properly.

But my dilemma is what wheels, there is a bewildering choice :eek:

Originally I fancied some original BBS's or maybe G60 steels but not sure now. I don't like the Carlos Fandango look so they have to fit under the arches.

So none of this sort of thing, it just looks stupid :lol: :lol:

486347_543808388981865_1547556854_n.jpg

Porsche Fuschs' ??? I like the look of them

422551_301857923195769_197898601_n1.jpg

Or these but unfortunately they ain't cheap a set would cost more than what I paid for the whole car !!!

IMG_4367.jpg

Or these apparently off a later VW Transporter

14387_410540559018569_1047228312_n.jpg

What say you ??

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Eventually I got it moved to a bit of space I rented in a decent sized workshop so started a bit of a strip down and hopefully the paint bloke will come down and have a look this week some time. I also got an original twin headlight grill, the proper steering wheel for a GTI and after much tooing and frowing over the wheels bought an original set of BBS alloys. I'll send these off after the holidays to be refurbished. Usually there is lots of hidden rot under all the plastic arches but in this case it has turned out not to be as bad as I feared. The arches on the front wings have been rolled in at some point and although with the new plastics fitted you'll never see they have been bodged I would know so I got a pair of near perfect original arches that I might fit. The bumpers will be off some time this week.

IMAG0565.jpg

IMAG0562-1.jpg

IMAG0563-1.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A13C529D-17B1-4FBB-9BD4-F4600B061E0C-8611-00000C40ADCE564B.jpg

1st removed all the kurbing, corrosion and ruff previous paintwork and masked them up for 2k primer.

14D8202B-9E06-4C1A-AA2A-0BB34BBEAAC1-8611-00000C40B4AF20B1.jpg

All primed and flatted and re masked with clean tape ready for paint.

8D8B2624-8A60-4886-9A4B-EC9E5AB7E709-8611-00000C40BBA3B2D7.jpg

1st coat to go on was 3 coats of LP3G Flash Red for a deep red finish.

9B357B06-E408-46EA-A16A-2AC6802978FE-8611-00000C40C196EDBA.jpg

Then after leaving to dry for around 30mins I could mask the centres off with fine line tape then masking tape and paper just leaving the lips.

C8D10E15-FAFA-4E78-83A6-8F63BB5E9E6A-8611-00000C40C856680D.jpg

6A4FB671-D894-423B-91C0-EA8A02B1DC99-8611-00000C40CF2C6532.jpg

• Like 1