• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

So How Many Watches Do You Own

no8yogi

As a newbie both to the forum and Horology I watch the Friday post with amazement some people switching watches ever hour! So how many do you own? I'll start I have 1 digital, 3 electric, 2 manual winds, 2 autos and about 7 pocket watches including one broken fusee I am struggling to find the courage to fix! so 15 watches in total in one form or another. is this a normal total? how many do you have? To add further interest my grail watch would something like this 230856669704

remember start every day with a smile and get it over with!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello fellow newbie! I currently have three in my collection. An Omega Aqua Terra 8500 (almost never leaves my wrist..), an Omega De Ville Hour Vision, and an Alba Chronograph as a beater. Although I think the De Ville might be on the Sales Forum soon as it just hasn't grown on me much over the last year.

Four for me. A Breitling Superocean Steelfish, Tissot Visodate, Victorinox something or other I bought off eBay and a Detomaso Subalike I bought from eBay. I would imagine a much smaller collection than most on here.

I would like to add one or two but a new kitchen and child on the way has put a stop to it.

I was guessing it was around 250 but I think the number is closer to 350 (heck it could be 400). Lots of duplicates though - I must have 10 or 15 Pacers (anybody looking for one?) for instance.

I keep saying I am going to rationalize the collection, and then sometime grabs me - last week it was more Hamiltons including an ultra rare Pacermatic, a Ventura with original strap and buckle, and an Altair!

Is that too many?

So what does a guy with this number of watches wear? This morning I was wearing this very cool Hamilton Electra Spectra, but featuring a Saturn dial. The photo is no great shakes, but it looks absolutely fabulous on the wrist.

spectrasaturn-1.jpg

This afternoon I switched to a Wittnauer Futurama that had a custom case and dial treatment (the watch only came in gold electroplated cases, and this one had a shot case with an engraved back). The result, to my eye, was very pleasing:

WittnauerCustom.jpg

So what does a guy with this number of watches wear? This morning I was wearing this very cool Hamilton Electra Spectra, but featuring a Saturn dial. The photo is no great shakes, but it looks absolutely fabulous on the wrist.

spectrasaturn-1.jpg

This afternoon I switched to a Wittnauer Futurama that had a custom case and dial treatment (the watch only came in gold electroplated cases, and this one had a shot case with an engraved back). The result, to my eye, was very pleasing:

WittnauerCustom.jpg

Very interesting pieces there, Martinus!

I still hold the belief that it's quality over quantity. Personally, I would rather have a handful of interesting, horologically interesting pieces (both in looks and movements) than a hundred run of the mill type watches. But my tastes have been changing though and as I see more interesting complicated watches and more interesting movements (Omega 9300, Seiko Hi-beat). In any case, I would take those over 20 Victorinox (not knocking Victorinox!) any day of the week.

spectrasaturn-1.jpg

WittnauerCustom.jpg

Very interesting pieces there, Martinus!

I still hold the belief that it's quality over quantity. Personally, I would rather have a handful of interesting, horologically interesting pieces (both in looks and movements) than a hundred run of the mill type watches. But my tastes have been changing though and as I see more interesting complicated watches and more interesting movements (Omega 9300, Seiko Hi-beat). In any case, I would take those over 20 Victorinox (not knocking Victorinox!) any day of the week.

hi each to there own there a lot of quality watches that do not cost that much and lots low cost watches are interesting imho.there are many seikos that are at the low end that are well made with in house movements ,more than can be said of some high end watches imho.some of us like many types of watches i like old lcd a lot and some a very low cost but still very interesting imho.and then there all the electro type watches from 60s 70s that you will not see there like agian .and then you have the frist quarts watches from theb same time most of these watches can be had a low cost so what makes any watch run of the mill ?.all the best woody77.021.jpg003-89.jpg015-75.jpg014-75.jpg Edited by woody77

My collection seems to have stabilised at around 30, which I think is a good number. Not too many, but enough to wear a different watch every day. Currently it's down to 24, but that can change quickly thanks to the sales section on here.....

I've been trying to slim the collection down a bit, but this week I've traded 2 and gained 3, so that plan doesn't always work out! :lol:

Mine are very much at the affordable end, ranging from G-Shocks and other Casio's, to Armani and other fashion brands. Nothing high end, nothing vintage, and only quartz movements. Average price is about £50 and most expensive is around £200.

Welcome to the forum, by the way :D

I have a maplin aluminum flight case cut for 28 watches and I try never to exceed this self imposed limit. Currently it's 2 spaces empty with 5 incoming, after having a lull in watch enthusiasm over the summer, I have the bug again!

Mine range from my divex quartz diver to a couple of vintage omegas.

Edited by tall_tim

Currently 7 'affordables' but I have ambitions! ;-)

I've even taken to buying the kids watches to get a 'fix' past 'er indoors!

My 2 year old has 2 watches and she's no idea what time is let alone bring able to read it!

Hahaha! Good skills my friend!

I've managed to get my 8 year old daughter interested now

Me: "look how it glows in the dark!"

L: "that is sooo cool daddy, can I get one that glows too?"

;-)

Although my 4 yo boy just wants to wear my watches!

Started documenting my collect for insurance. Got 2 "modern" Rolex (GMT and MillGauss) and 3 vintage, 6 Omega (all speedmasters: pre-moon, Mk2, mk40, 1953, triple date x33), IWC (Fleigerchronograph), 2 Christopher Wards (C9 and 2011FLE), glycine (Airman), Breitling(navitimer), Seiko (Pilot Gen1), Tissot (T12) my first Casio (~40yrs old) and my very first watch (45 yrs old) and a few old pocket watches.

So about 25 (and still looking)

A bit of a "pilot theme"

8 runners, one incoming and a very dead timex (which i had forgotten about).

prolly flip the bottom 2 or 3 of these in the next few months (not including the very dead timex) and then look for more (not looking for more dead timex though)

flipper flipper, flipper the bush kangeroo :lol: