UK Watch Forum banner

Product Review

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rovert 
#1 ·
Hi all. Had this for about a month now, and thought I'd post a bit of an amateur review in case anyone's umming and ahhing about one. Apologies for the crappy photos :)

Design, exterior: Fantastic rosewood colour, with gold locks and assorted bits. Fit and finish is excellent, with the lid lining up exactly with the base. There is a glass viewing lid at the front which makes for good viewing. The only gripe would be the dust that the finish collects, but that probably is mostly due to where I live. Great, compact shape makes for a convenient desktop or other display area setup, or would equally fit well in a safe. The lid is fixed by gold plated hinges on the sides, letting it flip vertically. Once up, it hinges vertically out of the way and doesn't feel like it's gonna come crashing down at any point, either. It's got a lock, and the key has a fancy tassle hanging off it, however it's hardly the lock of the century, so I'd wager it's only for curious little fingers. Overall dimensions are 250mm long, 200mm high and 180mm wide. A good size, in a convenient wedge shape.

A6102936-A574-4582-BC43-5869EBBE415C-6598-00001188F1D206B2.jpg

Design, interior: Lovely white pleather finish, coupled with gold assorted bits. The inside design is angled toward ergonomics of use and display through the glass. The winding setup is viewable from most angles, and is setup at about 45 degrees, maybe a bit less. There are three spare spaces at the front lowest part, which gives me space for 3 more automatics :thumbsup:

24439F8A-41D3-42E7-9C2A-864AFC96C818-6598-00001189127D13C1.jpg

Winder: whisper quiet, even with the lid up. I'd have no issues with this being on the bedside table. The motor seems smooth, and cuts in and out as per selected setting. I don't know if the larger models would be noisier, but I can't see why they would. The watch pillows fit snug in the winding cage (if that's the right term) and have an inner pillow with a sleeve that can be slipped off for sizing securely. I've taken the sleeve off personally.

It has 5 settings, with a nice looking gold plated dial with a pleasing minimalist design. Setting outlined below:

Off.

2mins clockwise, rest 6mins

2 mins counter-clockwise, rest 6 mins

2 mins clockwise, rest 6 mins, 2 mins counter-clockwise, rest 6 mins

5 mins clockwise, 5 mins counter-clockwise, repeat for 3 hours, rest 9 hours.

71D9011F-1698-4DD5-9883-F026176B7C5E-6598-000011890A61D317.jpg

Electrickery: as previously mentioned, 5 settings (is off really a setting?) controlled by a microprocessor. Handy power switch at the back, beside the 240v power cable, though I'm sure there'd be an adapter for any other countries power supply. Mine came from a Sydney seller so it had the Australia plug etc.

Package: mine came in a good box, with foam packaging and wrapping, and arrived well packaged up. Also came with instructions, which is handy. They come as a 2 watch, a 4 watch (2 winding cages of 2 watches), a 6 watch, and an 8 watch. Based on the size of mine, the 8 watch would be too big, but good for larger collections. Not sure how many spare watch spaces the larger winders have.

Cost: These can be had pretty cheaply off ebay, however postage is a bit of a killer. Buying nationally is a good way to keep costs down. To be honest the 710 bought me this one, so I'm not too sure of the actual price, however they're pretty reasonable off the bay overall.

Overall Impressions: Love it. It's a great display piece, and with it being so quiet it doesn't need to be packed away in a spare room or cupboard covered in a towel or blanket. I know watch winders get mixed opinions on here, and I usually wear my autos until they run down and then swap for another, but now I've always got one or two wound and ready to wear. I'd thoroughly recommend the ALG winders, based on mine. Great for day date complications, non windable autos etc.

BC6DE70D-5079-4DC2-B0F9-67D22FFB8209-6598-0000118901E08897.jpg

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice Phil! :thumbsup:

I really must get round to buying one rather than letting my two post-cull autos going flat in between wears.

Mind you I might notice the slightly off time keeping of my Pogue more if I wore it more than one day at a time, a prompt to get that service done maybe.... :whistle:

#3 ·
Looks really nice & good quality. I had a look at some a few years back when Nick Hacko had them but I didn't have spare readies at the time.

I seem to remember reading something about different winding programs for different type movements but the memeories not what it used to be.

Nice present from the wife ........ I might show mine your mail.

Cheers,

Trevor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.