• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Julian Latham

Cringe Worthy Tv Ad's

Any of the adverts for sofas, beds or carpets with half price sales ending Monday ( and starting Tuesday). The catchphrase at the minute seems to be Double Discount!!! :taz:

Every advert for every price comparison, loan shark or ambulance chasing lawyer's service.

Aimed at idiots.

They should have rules like they have with kids cereal adverts so they're only seen when idiots won't be watching - although I'm not sure there is such a time

Unless it has changed, an old "rule" in advertising states that the ad has to be either very good or very bad to be remembered. (And "very bad" is probably easier to achieve.)

The "ugly duckling" Audi ad, is it me, or is the ugky duckling utterly beautiful compared to the lardy, dreary modern Audi? I watch the ad and I want the old Audi, wouldb't be seen dead in a new one.

The money advisory service one with the doddery old (expletive deleted) woman in an armchair. "MA can help" etc etc.

I want to punch her in the face, 150 years old or not.

And the pounds to pocket advert. Three 'average' people.

Young couple decorating nursery "cash was tight, so we went to pounds to pocket..." It'll be even tighter when they re-possess your baby for not being able to repay them, with the interest at 278%!

Overweight woman with a walking stick "I paid for car repairs - my car is essential for getting me around..." Er, isn't that the case for everyone? Why use a fat old disabled woman to push that point??

Odd looking student-type "I used pounds to pocket money to start my own beauty business after being turned down by the banks". Ok, where to start with that one? First, if the bank refused you funding, it's probably not a viable business or you're too high a risk. Secondly, surely the money would have been better spent on dental care if you want a career in beauty? Teeth look like badly placed sugar puffs.

Ok, so it's a little unfair to criticize the actors. It isn't the actors faults, they have sold their soul to a heartless corporation for a quick pay-cheque - we've all been there ( :rolleyes: ).

I just despise that advert!

And the Oral B one "I've just woken up, but my teeth are squeaking clean".... AARGH!!!!!

I could fill this whole page. Please, someone else jump in... :D

The "ugly duckling" Audi ad, is it me, or is the ugky duckling utterly beautiful compared to the lardy, dreary modern Audi? I watch the ad and I want the old Audi, wouldb't be seen dead in a new one.

Oh god, +1 to that!

Just stunning that 20's concept car! How can that be compared to the soul-less boxes they turn out now?

audi_zpse40dbcc7.jpg

Oh god, +1 to that!

Just stunning that 20's concept car! How can that be compared to the soul-less boxes they turn out now?

audi_zpse40dbcc7.jpg

Looks like a car worthy of leading a funeral procession for an unpopular politician.

Off topic slightly, but I do find myself getting incredibly annoyed at the radio adverts for 'electronic cigarettes'.

"The legal way to smoke indoors".

FFS!

Is it just me, or does anyone else thinkg that these are basically just 'training fags' to get more suckers hooked?

Any of the adverts for sofas, beds or carpets with half price sales ending Monday ( and starting Tuesday). The catchphrase at the minute seems to be Double Discount!!! :taz:

A couple of the presenters are very tidily upholstered - unfortunately can't remember if its SBS, DFC, DFS, BFC though :D

Some years ago, Philips and Grundig ( the 'tronics companies ) jointly developed the technology that would allow you to record ( on VHS, that tells you how long ago it was) a movie or programme from Commercial TV, cutting out the ads by stopping recording and re-starting after the break. This used the signals sent out by the national networks to the regional TV companies that are used by the regional providers to substitute and synchronise local ads for national ones. :yes:

This was rapidly suppressed as an option after it was quickly hacked into and it was found the technology could be used on live TV as well to give you ad free TV, albeit with a "blue screen of death" type background, or some kind of screen saver whilst you went off to make coffee, 'cos it could flash up onscreen how long the ad break was scheduled to last. :lol:

And there's much more techie stuff available now - - OH! YES! :notworthy: Pretty obviously you could set up a "record and pause live TV" PVR to do this just behind realtime, whilst cutting out the ad breaks = prog without annoyance = loss of revenue for TV companies :whistle:

Wonder why the idea was suppressed? :wallbash:

AFAIK, the feature is disabled in British boxes, but enabled in US and OZ ones.

Off topic but one thing that really bugs me is having the channel logo permanently on screen, I don`t care that they`re semi-transparent it stills gets my goat :taz:

These people really must have a low opinion of the viewers if they need to have these constant reminders or maybe most people are that dumb :rolleyes:

Off topic but one thing that really bugs me is having the channel logo permanently on screen, I don`t care that they`re semi-transparent it stills gets my goat :taz:

These people really must have a low opinion of the viewers if they need to have these constant reminders or maybe most people are that dumb :rolleyes:

Those logos infuriate me. I know what damned channel I chose to watch.

Later,

William