• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Zenith El Primero Chronograph (Reloaded)

wotsch

Hello!

I've already introduced this watch to you (here: click), but I took some new and better photos today, so I'm going to start another post and add a little more information about the watch and the movement.

This is my Zenith El Primero HW Chronograph, dating from the late 90s / early 2000s:

8439458912_c7f02e85ea.jpg

Zenith El P HW 13a_small by wotsch2, on Flickr

The 40mm x 11,5mm make the watch a perfect size IMO, and with no rotor, the movement and watch is thin enough to slip comfortably under a shirt cuff. The watch is water resistant to 100m.

8439458840_81f3fc3912.jpg

Zenith El P HW 15c_small by wotsch2, on Flickr

The watch has a 420Z column-wheel chronograph movement:

8439458706_0c31702c89.jpg

Zenith El P HW 18b_small by wotsch2, on Flickr

The 420 and 420Z movements were the hand-wound versions in the El Primero 400 series of Calibers. According to Ranfft, the 420 was produced from 1994. The 420Z is a later version with some technical upgrades and was produced from 1998. A nice overview of the history of the El Primero chronograph and, in particular, the 420(Z) movement is here: click.

Without the automatic rotor, there's an unobstructed view of the beautiful 36000bph (5Hz) movement through the display case-back:

8438372171_0c6b78d640.jpg

Zenith El P HW 16a_small by wotsch2, on Flickr

I hope you don't mind me posting photos of this watch a second time.

Cheers!

-wotsch