• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
AVO

New Arrival - 1964 Smiths Astral

I was very excited yesterday to receive my latest vintage watch, bought from a member of this forum, in response to my WTB. This gentleman has been a pleasure to deal with throughout, courteous and informative, and the watch arrived as described and brilliantly packaged. I will be very pleased if he owns up!

It is a beautiful 1964 Smiths Astral in a 9ct gold case, inscribed for a long service presentation in 1965. As you often see with these pieces, it appears to have been cherished by its original owner - the 48-year-old engraving is still deep and clear.

I can't explain why I find these old Smiths watches so powerfully attractive, but I do. The words "Made in England" take me back to my childhood when that was a mark of respected quality for almost anything - it's like touching history.

The case, dial and crystal are immaculate, and I think the applied numerals and indices, the long dauphine hands and the generous sized sub-dial are just beautiful. At 34mm exc crown it is a goldilocks size for me, sitting perfectly on the wrist, and I love the slim profile. I wore my 1960 Omega yesterday especially to do the bottom shot!

The movement is the classic Smiths 12.15, looks lovely on the seller's photo (I'm not a great back-remover!) and appears to be keeping excellent time, and with my favourite tick (18000 bph)

So, here it is. I hope you like it. I do! :wub:

Astralbox_zpsd7de7845.jpg

Astralback_zps3d78a89c.jpg

Astralwrist_zpsa2421c76.jpg

Astralside_zps299f9b62.jpg

AstralandOmega_zps5ba6899f.jpg

Looking good, Steve.

Coincidentally, I bought the big brother Astral this morning, in the guise of this ships bulkhead clock (larger size with 8" dial). I need to find the correct red seconds hand to finish it off, but it is running.

astralclock_zps714cf128.jpg

Cheers

Foggy

What's the lug width on that thing?

Pleased to report I haven't taken the Astral off yet and it is keeping very good time. I'm about to go for some gym-swim-sauna time, however, so the Orient Mako is about to get fired up!

Great looking watch. My imperial is currently with Roy for a fettling due to the local watch guy bodging it and breaking off the arrow head second hand and replacing it with he one in the photo.! They're great watches.

DSCN0268_zps87011b38.jpg

The 16mm strap was a tad narrow, so I have swapped it out onto this nice dark bown 18mm Hirsch Merino that I have had in the box for a while:

IMG_0340_zps05b96255.jpg

170220131914_zpsad1b841a.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments - always welcome.

That's lovely and makes the Omega look positively ordinary.

Great catch. Enjoy wearing it.

I understand what you mean there, but the Omega is a great favourite. There's a little wear to the plating on the lugs, but otherwise it is immaculate. It was my first vintage watch, acquired in December 2008, and it has pretty much defined the style that I've come to regard as mine. Let's say it started me on the slippery slope!

Before that, my "main watch" was my '93 Omega Polaris (quartz) that I still have, supplemented at various times by very cheap quartz watches that I used for refereeing rugby, hiking etc. :)

Yes, I'm now a Smiths fan - currently looking for a Dennison 12890 cased DeLuxe or Astral so if you have one you want to offload then get in touch - here is my 1970/71 Astral

Astral_zpsdbd01a2f.jpg

Cheers

That is beautiful too - the dial is stunning!

I do prefer the sub-seconds layout of the older watches, but they are all beautiful and rather underrated. There are some lovely gold Deluxe around on the web, but some of them are at rather high prices.

Buy them now - I have heard that they are finally being recognised for their true worth - English watches. They won't be getting any cheaper.

Cheers

I know this is a loooong resurrection but I've just been given this by a family member after it was stuck in a drawer for years. I wound it up about 3pm and it is keeping very good time. I'll monitor it over the next couple of days and see how it goes. It came on a brown leather strap which is a bit tatty.smiths-astral-800.jpg

I was literally just handed one of these (the first one with the sweeping second subdial) in gold with the original elasticated strap.

whats the value one one of these?