• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
danoafc

Longines Hydroconquest Automatic

tried one of these on at auction a few months back , very comfortable to wear ,excellent quality and not as 'bulky' as some divers , wish i'd bought it now :D

Just noticed your avatar, what happened to the poor cat?

tried one of these on at auction a few months back , very comfortable to wear ,excellent quality and not as 'bulky' as some divers , wish i'd bought it now :D

You've heard of fat cat's......this one's a flat cat. :)

Ok, went and tried on on in Manchester and like the styling of the watch and got offered 10% discount straight off when I checked the RRP.

BUT I couldn't help but feel that it felt a bit, well tinny and 'underwhelming'.

I had been bearing a Seiko quartz on the particular day I'd gone in (SNA411) which is fairly heavy/solid, but also has the most comfortable bracelet I've ever worn.

Perhaps I'm also bring a little unfair on the Hydro as it is priced at the lower end of the 'luxury' watch scale, but I just expected a bit more if you know what I mean?

The bracelet felt a bit rattly and the clasp was a bit tinny. The hands were also a bit disappointing looking a bit rough like they'd been cut from an old drinks can.

So, I think I might keep on looking and see what else grabs my fancy, unless I can pick up a used one in good nick at a considerably better price.

Cheers

Dan

Ok, went and tried on on in Manchester and like the styling of the watch and got offered 10% discount straight off when I checked the RRP.

BUT I couldn't help but feel that it felt a bit, well tinny and 'underwhelming'.

I had been bearing a Seiko quartz on the particular day I'd gone in (SNA411) which is fairly heavy/solid, but also has the most comfortable bracelet I've ever worn.

Perhaps I'm also bring a little unfair on the Hydro as it is priced at the lower end of the 'luxury' watch scale, but I just expected a bit more if you know what I mean?

The bracelet felt a bit rattly and the clasp was a bit tinny. The hands were also a bit disappointing looking a bit rough like they'd been cut from an old drinks can.

So, I think I might keep on looking and see what else grabs my fancy, unless I can pick up a used one in good nick at a considerably better price.

Cheers

Dan

Are you sure you were looking at the same watch ? or was it just that it has EFC on the case back :tongue2:

lon3r.jpg

dscf0394edited1.jpg

I'm going to go into another AD and have another look Dusty. Like I said, I'm just not sure if I was expecting it to be heavier or more solid or something, it just felt a bit flimsy in comparison to my Seiko's including my 007 and my Atlas. I think the bracelet was probably the key issue.

I think it's also a bit difficult to really tell how something is going to feel on the wrist until the bracelet is resized, so perhaps I'm being unfair?

Will give it another go and see if I feel differently about it then ;-)

Edit; ha, just re-read your post Dusty and now understand why you love yours so much!!

Like I say, I'm gonna give it another go - you boys on here generally know your stuff and all I've read is good things!

Edited by danoafc

Hi there - it's a long (very long) time since I was last on the Forum....interested to see the Longines question come up again. Just to cover the brand positioning thing - how high end etc. - Longines was indeed once pretty high-end. I inherited a 1960's vintage gold Longines Conquest auto 35 years ago (just like the modern reissue in the Heritage range to look at) and had it valued at £1,800. It would now be about £300 - £400, much like a similar Omega of the same sort of age. Swatch Group own Longines and the brand went v downmarket during the 1990's. For the past 10 years or so they have been repositioning Longines in the more up-market bracket, just behind Omega in the Swatch "stable". Hasn't done anything for vintage values yet, but I would never sell mine anyhow.

ee24f2646c6e47f7eb5e1cf354b3066d_zps50b0d025.jpg

Would you consider one of these?

Possibly. I don't know much about Certina other than I've seen them in the window at Chisholm Hunter and thought they had some attractive pieces. I know a member sold a quartz one in the sales corner this week.

What are the autos like?

This watch is heavy, solid and feels great on the wrist. The sweep of the second hand is so much smoother than on my seiko's, seems to be a little more accurate too, but haven't had it that long to compare really.

The lume is nowhere near as good as seiko's, but it is blue-ish. There again is anyone's lume as good as seiko?

I'm not sure how much of it is marketing hype, but the brand seems to have a bit of history too.

This watch is heavy, solid and feels great on the wrist. The sweep of the second hand is so much smoother than on my seiko's, seems to be a little more accurate too, but haven't had it that long to compare really.

The lume is nowhere near as good as seiko's, but it is blue-ish. There again is anyone's lume as good as seiko?

I'm not sure how much of it is marketing hype, but the brand seems to have a bit of history too.

Hmmm. Interesteing. Did you buy yours from the bodying.co .uk website you posted about in your earlier thread about this watch? I think they are in Singapore aren't they? Did yours come with original box & papers etc?

Would quite like to see/handle one before committing really.

He went on to try this.... :D

Cat.gif

Cheers

Dan

the last one i saw at auction went at about the £400 mark , if the longines makes you feel like that dont bother trying on any of the 'cheaper' rolex models such as the airking that you can pick up at around the 800-1300 mark , after trying one on for the first time i came away laughing at the quality (tho in defence, the owners of these often get the last laugh, as with all rolex they hold price well - which is the way im starting to think about it now after collecting /selling/trading for about 15 yrs -and i dont want to think about the money ive lost) .

*as above, the cat went on to do the highest jump by a moggie (and landing on all fours) , he's now retired and living in the bahamas.

Edited by pugster

Hmmm. Interesteing. Did you buy yours from the bodying.co .uk website you posted about in your earlier thread about this watch? I think they are in Singapore aren't they? Did yours come with original box & papers etc?

I decided against bodying and ended up buying it from a jewellers in Scarborough. I won't mention the name in case that's not the done thing on the forum.

I decided against bodying and ended up buying it from a jewellers in Scarborough. I won't mention the name in case that's not the done thing on the forum.

I don't think mentioning the jewellers name is an issue. I think posting direct links is, but as Roy doesn't sell this item I can't imagine it will cause too much hoohaa?

Pity you weren't sure about the Hydroconquest when you tried it. I did a tour round the watch shops recently and was disappointed with what I saw, all a bit uninspiring I thought. Apart from the Hydroconquest which stood out against all the other same old same old!

Funny you should say that Stinch! Went to another AD today with my wife looking for her birthday pressie, and they had the blue dialled version in, so I had another look and feel of it. I also had a look/tried on an Oris Date Diver. This time the HC felt more sturdy and less 'sharp' if you know that I mean. Also the blue dial really made a difference for me in the looks. Got offered an 'ok' discount too.

So, we end up coming out of the shop with a beautiful pair of earrings for her indoors which were half price (result!) AND the blue dialled Hydoconquest!!

Edited by danoafc

Funny you should say that Stinch! Went to another AD today with my wife looking for her birthday pressie, and they had the blue dialled version in, so I had another look and feel of it. I also had a look/tried on an Oris Date Diver. This time the HC felt more sturdy and less 'sharp' if you know that I mean. Also the blue dial really made a difference for me in the looks. Got offered an 'ok' discount too.

So, we end up coming out of the shop with a beautiful pair of earrings for her indoors which were half price (result!) AND the blue dialled Hydoconquest!!

Very well done!! Excellent double !! Looking forward to seeing some nice pics of your new Blue Hydro

Very well done!! Excellent double !! Looking forward to seeing some nice pics of your new Blue Hydro

Cheers Andi. Will try and get a few pics tomorrow and get them on here.

Nice one!! :thumbup:

I went to a few Longines ADs today, but none had the Hydroconquest so I couldn't try one on :(

This thread has not been good for me!

Congrats Dan :good: the blue one's a cracker (and at 39mm is not too big) plus the missus is happy - a great morning's work in the sunshine, what more could you want?! Apart from the right results this afternoon perhaps - commiserations. We did no better; the Superwhites traipsed all the way to Yoevil to lose 1-0 :sadwalk:

Congrats Dan :good: the blue one's a cracker (and at 39mm is not too big) plus the missus is happy - a great morning's work in the sunshine, what more could you want?! Apart from the right results this afternoon perhaps - commiserations. We did no better; the Superwhites traipsed all the way to Yoevil to lose 1-0 :sadwalk:

It's actually still the 41mm version bit is just right on my 7.75" wrist. Very happy with it.

Shame I can't say the same about the football results :sadwalk: