• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
DavvaHill

How To Sell A Vintage Watch

Hi there

I've specifically registered with this forum for advice, so please don't shoot me down in flames for asking anything stupid or repeating things that have been asked numerous times before.

My father passed away a short while ago and I'm helping my Mum have a bit of a clear out. Amongst lots of clutter is a Rolex Oyster Speedking which he had for his 21st birthday early in 1949. I've done a little research and understand the size counts against it (midsize which some people say can be Unisex).

I'm not going to do a sales pitch here or ask for valuations - I know (having scoured the forum) that this is frowned on. However, what I would like to know is, does anyone know how to go about selling such a watch. Obviously I could just put it on Ebay but I would feel a little vunerable doing that.

Thanks for reading and any advice you may have

Dave

Firstly, sorry to hear the sad news.

Secondly (and it's not my place to tell you what to do), I'd keep something of such sentiment in the family - you might feel differently about it if you put it away for a couple of months.

Difficult to price it, as there aren't many about, but a search on Chrono24 may yield some ideas.

Good luck whatever you do :)

Sorry, I realise my post may seem a little cold.

My dad's watch inspired me and they bought me my own Rolex for my 21st (24 years ago now!!!) - all my pride is on my wrist as I type. My Mum would rather the value be put to use than the watch sit in a drawer (in it's original box btw).

Ed - thanks for the reply btw.

Ed - thanks for the reply btw.

No problem :thumbsup:

A picture or two may help someone with a bit more knowledge than me to help with a valuation.

You could also provide a picture of yours!

I'm sorry to hear of your sad news, I lost my father 3 years ago and had to clear his affects too, not a job I enjoyed or would wish on anyone.

But to help you with your question, to gauge a price on items I wish to sell, or thinking of buying, I do an advanced search on eBay for completed items, this give me a 'going rate'.

The below search was for Rolex Oyster Speedking.

If this is a true value, I too would be inclined to keep it in the family.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Rolex+Oyster+Speedking&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&LH_Auction=1&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

I do believe that Poshtime have a couple for sale at the moment - take a look and get some idea of what a dealer charges

Cheers

first you do your research - which is what you are doing now, so full marks!

then you can sell it to a jeweller who sells similar items - the easiest transaction but will return the least amount

Or you sell it via an auctionhouse like Fellows, or eBay, but watch for the fees

Or you build up your post count on here and sell it to collectors where it will be cherished.

Are there any grandchildren that are coming upto 21? Save it for that?

ScotsWatches - thanks for the reply.

My son is 11 - so another 10 years to go - a shame to leave it lying around till then when he would be likely to just put it in a drawer too :-(