UK Watch Forum banner

Post your clock pictures here

7K views 74 replies 18 participants last post by  JWL940 
#1 ·
Here is another one of my clocks. The original bill of sale pictured from 1927 at the grand price of 1 pound and sixteen shillings (those were the days) and a guarantee of four years. Anyone know if the shop is still there?

It would be nice if we could have just one thread to show off our clocks.

Cheers Scott.

babyreg_zps53f0d596.jpg

babybill_zps29b6613b.jpg

See less See more
#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I think you've just started it, Scott. Here's my Grandfather clock that I restored a couple of years ago....I made a blog about the repairs at the time, and it's now in the 'Classic posts' archive at the top of the General Watch discussion forum. This clock has clock makers/repairer's marks and dates scratched onto the reverse of the face dating back to 1732, 1838,1845,1904 and the latest 1964.(I didn't put anything on there when I restored it.) It is signed Richard Winch of Maidenhead. You will notice that the finials are missing from the top, ...probably so it would fit into a lower ceilinged room...and the case has been slightly shortened at the bottom, again, probably due to once standing on a dirt floor and getting damaged.

grandfatherclock003.jpg

clockpics068-1.jpg

clockpics038.jpg

clockpics042.jpg

#9 ·
Here is another one of my clocks. The original bill of sale pictured from 1927 at the grand price of 1 pound and sixteen shillings (those were the days) and a guarantee of four years. Anyone know if the shop is still there?

It would be nice if we could have just one thread to show off our clocks.

Cheers Scott.

babyreg_zps53f0d596.jpg

babybill_zps29b6613b.jpg
Well, I think you've just started it, Scott. Here's my Grandfather clock that I restored a couple of years ago....I made a blog about the repairs at the time, and it's now in the 'Classic posts' archive at the top of the General Watch discussion forum. This clock has clock makers/repairer's marks and dates scratched onto the reverse of the face dating back to 1732, 1838,1845,1904 and the latest 1964.(I didn't put anything on there when I restored it.) It is signed Richard Winch of Maidenhead. You will notice that the finials are missing from the top, ...probably so it would fit into a lower ceilinged room...and the case has been slightly shortened at the bottom, again, probably due to once standing on a dirt floor and getting damaged.

grandfatherclock003.jpg

clockpics068-1.jpg

clockpics038.jpg

clockpics042.jpg
What a beauty Roger. The design of the minute hand is, excuse the pun, from another time. Maybe one of the Mods can change the title of the thread to ‘Post your clock pictures here’.

#11 ·
Hi Dobra

You said

"Nice timepiece. Wait 'til the wife goes away, then give us a Youtube link so we can hear the chime??"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is to be a clock section , there are some correct terms to start using .

A TIMEPIECE is a 'Clock' that just shows the time with no sounds .

A clock only 'CHIMES if it is sounding at each quarter hour , and usually has 3 winding holes .

A clock that sounds the hours only and not the quarters is known as a STRIKING clock,

and normally has 2 winding holes.

Rgds

Davycrocket

#14 ·
I have my uses :D

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks to Mach for sorting out a spot where we can all post our clocks. I might send him one of me cream eggs. This is an English Smiths Electric. It came with the house 13 years ago. Lady that sold me the house found out I was into clocks and left the clocks for me included in the sale. This was in an outbuilding. I switched the power on and it was running fine with a slight background hum. It’s what I would expect from an electric but obviously the 710 would not accept that in the main building so it now hangs on the wall in my study unconnected to the mains. Bakelite case. 6 inch face not including the case. Hand adjustment by turning the wheel below the 6. Registered trade mark is SEC. I would date it as 1950 but I am not an expert.

SEC1_zpsb5e84969.jpg

SEC3_zps325e8c0c.jpg

SEC2_zpseb5098f2.jpg

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks to Mach for sorting out a spot where we can all post our clocks. I might send him one of me cream eggs. This is an English Smiths Electric. It came with the house 13 years ago. Lady that sold me the house found out I was into clocks and left the clocks for me included in the sale. This was in an outbuilding. I switched the power on and it was running fine with a slight background hum. It’s what I would expect from an electric but obviously the 710 would not accept that in the main building so it now hangs on the wall in my study unconnected to the mains. Bakelite case. 6 inch face not including the case. Hand adjustment by turning the wheel below the 6. Registered trade mark is SEC. I would date it as 1950 but I am not an expert.

SEC1_zpsb5e84969.jpg
You`re welcome :thumbsup:

Here`s my modern reproduction of your clock...

Smiths `Sectric`

SmithsDSC_0162.jpg

It has a tuning-fork like super smooth second hand B)

I`ve also got these old alarm clocks...

"Services" EXEL `Foreign` (possibly made by Thiel Bros., Germany)circa mid/late 1930s?

ServicesDSC_0182.gif

ServicesDSC_0183.gif

"Services" CALLER `Foreign` (possibly made by Thiel Bros., Germany) circa late 1930s.

ServicesDSC_0160.jpg

As shown in this late 1930s Services catalogue...

Servicescirca1937_0016.jpg

#31 ·
This clock came with the house 13 years ago. I don’t know much about it. Over 12 inches tall and 10 inches wide. Under the 12 it says ‘Christopher Maynard London’. This is not, in my opinion a quality clock. I expect it was mass produced, perhaps as a reproduction. If anyone has any information feel free to pass it on. It would be good to get a date. I will guess and say 1960 to 1970.

Look at the minute hand then compare it to the quality clock Roger posted on page 1.

Freeclock_zpsddabd663.jpg

Freeclock2_zps65ab0a7d.jpg

Freeclock3_zps782adfa0.jpg

#32 ·
I must just clarify a point here...the hands in these pics...

clockpics038.jpg

clockpics037-1.jpg

...were some stamped hands I bought from Cousins, and while they are perfectly acceptable as hands of the era, I thought they looked too 'heavy' for the clock. Because the original minute hand was a bodged thing made out of two pieces,I therefore decided (and this is all available to read near the end of the Grandfather Clock Project) to make my own minute hand, to match the original hour hand, as seen in this pic...

clockpics068-1.jpg

If you visit the thread, all will become clear.

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some interesting clocks on display here. Bringing the scale right down this one has pride of place in my collection. From the front it looks utterly uninspiring:

7b5c122a4f7329019d0d7a88ad03f753.jpg

And the rear, with cover removed, isn't much better:

804f7eae2ae2868d9ecfcc20aefc8fa8.jpg

But twist it to one side and you can see it is a little out of the ordinary with a glass tube making up the side wall and the front and rear frames held together with turned pillars. Although they are not maked the pillars look to be silver, the frame certainly isn't.

1ffebbf3e7569524841feb776733dd67.jpg

Dismantling for a closer look we have a 10-turn fusee but what really sets this clock apart from all my other carriage clocks is the two-plane lever escapement. A still photograph doesn't do it justice, it needs to be seen working.

f3fb1d0a8e0cb3edc7488a1305911205.jpg

642d0fbbf905940c383e2ae314a9c01f.jpg

Although it is unusual the build quality of the escapement platform is nowhere near that of the rest of the clock.

The clock has been in my possession for a couple of years but still I've not discovered who made it. It appears in Allix & Bonnert's bible 'Carriage Clocks, their history and developent' but it isn't attributed to any maker there either, any clues anybody?

35a92e0ea85abe83fd2ab0e51a6b9743.jpg

Prior to obtaining the clock I had quite a lengthy email exchange with another forum member on its merits and rarity, thanks for all you advice and encouragement Harryblakes7, I still owe you a pint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.