UK Watch Forum banner

My New Watch

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  andyclient 
#1 ·
My Beautiful new Garrard 9ct dress watch, this has an E.T.A hand wound movement and is in mint condition, not even a scratch on the glass. £150 ...

what does everyone think? any one have an idea on age on this style?

garrard.jpg

See less See more
#4 ·
Very smart, I wouldn`t mind adding a Garrard to my collection one day :yes:

#5 ·
Looks like mid 1960s to me, although the hallmark will give a better date. Lovely looking watch. Always have a soft spot for real gold classic dress watches. BTW is yours engraved on the back as so many Garrards were given as long service or retirement gifts back in the day .

#7 ·
no not engraved was trying choose between this and a 1960's Tudor, but that was engraved so didnt want to go for it. The Tudor would of also needed some aesthetics work, will date it tomorrow when i have the hall mark book to hand! I normally dont go pre-owned unless i am looking at bigger prices, but for 150, what else would i get...a starting price tissot.

#9 ·
that is a beautiful pocket watch, i have a simple stainless steel one for the occasions when i am in waistcoat.

seen so many old beautiful p/w's brought into work for scrap, such a shame.

#10 ·
I'm so sorry, Jake...I was so busy searching for the pictures in my last post that I didn't comment on your stunning example. It's simply gorgeous and just goes to show that Garrard ( for a long time, the Crown jewellers) never lost their touch. As others have said, a glance at the hallmarks would enable us to date the watch for you.

#12 ·
So this has been a interesting piece, the case is made by DS&S who i believe shut down in 67. The hall mark present on this watch is slightly stranger, it has the London leopard head but instead of the cut cornered square it is in a oval. The date year letter is a lower case on on a slight slant , looking like 72 ... But this is where it confuses me the r is also in a oval instead of the cut corners square as it should of been??? Any one any ideas on this and is there a reason for the use of the oval shield.

apart from the shield i am guessing when DS&S shut down, Garrards bought some of the surplus stock and hall marked it at a later date to use it...

some one please enlighten my curiosity ....

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Roger your grandad's retirement watch is a stunner - he chose well :thumbsup:

Jake the shield shapes do sound unusual, but it might be because of the size of the item meaning the 'normal-sized' punches (with the cut corner square outline) would be too big and the small punches were oval in outline. I'm sure the Goldsmiths Company would be able to confirm. And a lovely watch for bargain price :thumbup: .

#14 ·
The hallmarks are very clear and quite large, as in i don't even need a loupe to look at them.. Confused everyone at my work even the valuer. This is why i find old pieces interesting, you'll always run into something un expected.

just looking for a garrards movement and face with the sub dial sweep hand, as would prefer it. So of anyone has one let me know!!

#15 ·
#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes it was amazing, it had been kept in it's box in a drawer for fifty years until I bought it.

I had it serviced and eventually sold it when times were hard.

*sigh*

It's hard to think about it and some of the others that went during that cull:

My Tudor Oysterdate

My Omega f300 (refurbished by STS)

My Poljot 3133

My Seiko 6138

My Bulova Accutron 218

But looking on the bright side, watches that were presents could never be sold, so I still have my Seiko Diashock SARB035 imported from Japan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.