• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Opinions On Fossil Watches

Mr Bee

Hi, just wanted to ask what people's opinions are on Fossil watches.

I know they're not a traditional watch maker, and are considered a fashion brand, but I was looking at their watches in a Fossil Store the other day, and I think they're really nice looking, especially considering the price point of £115 - £140 region.

They do both quartz and mechanical movements, and are described on the website (and signed on the dial) as "Swiss Made" - does this only have to mean the parts are Swiss made, or does it mean the watch is actually assembled in Switzerland?

Has anyone had any experience with Fossil watches to judge on the quality/feel of them?

I have a few, in my experience they have been pretty well made, often with unique looks. Have used a fossil big tic digital and analogue affair as a one of my beaters since 2003 and its still going strong. Not had any experienceof the newer model s with my most recent being a phillipe stark fossil watch from 2007, which still works fine.

If its something you are interested in go for it.

As fashion watches go, I think they are pretty decent.

Their cases feel solid enough and they have a great variety of designs, which, whilst not being the most original in the world, aren't usually outright clones and some models bring a genuinely original flair to traditional designs.

Most of their watches use Japanese quartz, but you see some "swiss parts" watches too. Their "swiss made" watches are genuinely swiss made in the sense that they comply with the minimum standards set by swiss law, but you will pay much more than £140 for a "swiss made". They seem to hover around £725 for the automatic non-chronographs and for the quartz chronographs and £525 for the quartz non chronos.

Their "swiss made" range uses out of the box ETA automatic movements for non chronographs and quartz for their chronographs. Whilst the build quality seems solid, to me they seem overpriced for basic ETA movements in fashion watches, especially for the cheap quartz movements.

The non swiss range are very good value for money though.

Any excuse to post a pic of my latest incoming, bought from Tall_Tim on here a week ago and worn every day since:

2013-03-27142200_zpse74ff581.jpg

It's a whopper, and I love it :D

In answer to your question, nothing wrong with Fossil IMHO, and if you like the look of 'em don't hesitate in buying one :thumbup:

I had a Fossil Big Tic previously, and that looked really nice when the daft digital display was switched off so the dial was all black. Only sold it on here because it was a bit small for my current taste (no such problem with the latest addition :lol:). Here's a quick pic of that one:

DSCF0951.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I didn't realise the Swiss made ones were a special selection at a different price until I looked at the website again. I don't think I'll be looking at getting one of those at that price, but I might have another look at the quartz and mechanical ones in the £100-150 range which they have in the shop.

I actually really like the Nate design (as above), but I just don't think my thin wrists could take the size of it, would just look too big.

I have this Fossil CH2600 quartz chronograph.

I wanted a watch that looked similar to an Omega Speedmaster.

For £68 from Amazon, I'm happy enough.

The only thing I can critisise is the bracelet, it is a folded bracelet and I would have preferred a solid bracelet but I guess it would then cost more.

fossil04.jpg

I actually really like the Nate design (as above), but I just don't think my thin wrists could take the size of it, would just look too big.

My wrists are about 7.5" and the Nate sits nicely, but might look a bit too much on a thinner wrist. The tops of the lugs are about the same width as my wrist when looking straight on, if that makes sense. This pic doesn't really show it properly, but should give you some idea anyway:

2013-03-27142738_zps6d3b4aaa.jpg

Oh, and here's a gratuitous pic, just for the sake of it:

2013-03-27142405_zpsceb26cd1.jpg

:lol:

• 6 years later...