• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Guest robert75

Is that the one on the large river site for 160 quid???

You have heard of Grand Seiko right?

Nothing wrong with Seiko's, but then I'm more yob than snob!

Seikos make some great watches, not all branded watches are top quality. I had a jaguar that broke down very regular, now drive a new fiesta and not one problem. Go for it!!

Seiko is a good watch covers a huge range. If you are just a badge collector then you will miss out. So what badges do you like? Perhaps it is a design thing.

Personaly I don't care what the brand is, as long as it is good quality and reliable.

I would have to have an arrow pointing at any of the Watches I wear before anyone would take any notice, I think people in general are too self centred to care, and don't know much about Watches.

Buy and wear what you realy want, get over the brand thing.

Im no watch "expert"! But I have 2 seikos........wouldn't mind more too! Im "excitedely"! awaiting arrival of an old cheap Sekonda! So no badge snobbery for me!

Non-WIS people don't have a clue about brands anyway!

A few years ago I assumed Rolex and Cartier were the ultimate brands. If you'd told me Vacheron-Constantin were cheap tat and Constantin Weisz were haute horlogerie I'd have believed you!

Now I know better, but I'm no snob...any old JLC will do! :buba:

I can think of a dozen Seikos that are absolutely stonking watches and would be delighted to have. I have had a few over the years. The orange mini-monster was my favourite.

Value isn't everything and Seiko are one of the very best 'brands' IMO.

Is that the one on the large river site for 160 quid???

You have heard of Grand Seiko right?

...or Seiko Spring drive?....both starting around the £1.5 - £3K mark?

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Seiko is a good watch covers a huge range. If you are just a badge collector then you will miss out. So what badges do you like? Perhaps it is a design thing.

BADGES... we don't need no stinking badges...

Seiko? doesn't end in "ex" or "es" :lol:

Nowt wrong with a TIMEX or a ServiceS or two Maurice! Go for it, you know you want to! One of these days I WILL buy a Seiko, I just can't find anything I like better than a Pogue and I can't spend that kind of money even for a Filipino Franken!

:weed:

Just found this...

Various Seiko watches were worn by the cinematic James Bond 007 in four films starring Roger Moore from 1977 to 1985. Also, a Seiko watch was worn by Sean Connery in the 1983 Bond film Never Say Never Again. A Seiko Chronograph is also worn by Jason Bourne in the book "The Bourne Identity" by Robert Ludlum. Aki Ross wears a Seiko wristband computer in Final Fantasy the Spirits Within.

Just found this...

Various Seiko watches were worn by the cinematic James Bond 007 in four films starring Roger Moore from 1977 to 1985. Also, a Seiko watch was worn by Sean Connery in the 1983 Bond film Never Say Never Again. A Seiko Chronograph is also worn by Jason Bourne in the book "The Bourne Identity" by Robert Ludlum. Aki Ross wears a Seiko wristband computer in Final Fantasy the Spirits Within.

Yup, goes to show those actors will wear anything.... :D

i used to be a watch snob, now its any watch i like, however i am still a slight quartz snob...mechanical all the way....

i used to be a watch snob, now its any watch i like, however i am still a slight quartz snob...mechanical all the way....

Don't worry, you'll get over that too one day..... :D

Don't worry, you'll get over that too one day..... :D

I doubt it... I know I'm pretty died in the wool.

Seiko make some of the finest most refined watches your ever likely to wear......the space walk springdrive is around the $25k mark, the astron range is upwards of 3 or 4k and the credor can cost over $400,000

i think you may have to ask yourself the question if your wearing the watch for yourself or wearing it to impress others, which, it sounds like you are.....

personally, i prefer any watch sterile....

I'd have to agree with the mechanical comment, although I don't think loving mechanical watches makes me a snob as such. I love the romance of it and the thought of wearing a machine on my wrist that is doing it's thing in tiny little increments over and over til it loses it's momentum, just like life.

I think you may have to ask yourself the question if you're wearing the watch for yourself or wearing it to impress others, which, it sounds like you are.....

Shawn is absolutely spot on here...buy the watch to impress yourself, not others.

This snobbery/inverted snobbery that is all the rage these days is all about superiority/inferiority complexes and I'm not sure you're actually talking about snobbery, but perhaps coolness? Since Seiko is so ubiquitous covering such a wide range of price points under a single brand, it lacks exclusivity and therefore by definition is hard pushed to be cool, but its very popularity is based in its perceived comparative superiority.

But whatever...for me watches have to be a bit of fun...interesting...and not about the brand name...nor impressing others - I let my Maserati do that for me :lol: :lol: :lol: (I wish)

Maybe as we become more and more knowledgable about the technicalities and individuality of watches and the history of their development - brand by brand or otherwise - we become more and more confident in our wants, likes and choices, and less and less concerned about what others think. Just a thought.