• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Roger the Dodger

Has Anyone Ever Commented On Your Watch?

Following on from a similar thread, has anyone ever had a complete stranger come up to them and make a comment about the watch you are wearing? This must be a very rare occurence if it ever happens at all....In all the years I've been a WIS, no one has ever commented on the watch I'm wearing, whether it be a Rolex, Omega, Seiko etc...not even work colleagues. Has anyone ever had a random enquiry/admiration for a watch they might be wearing? The only time I could see anyone plucking up the courage to comment would be if they were a WIS too.

yep....twice.....

first time was in orlando when a copper asked me about my watch in a 7/11

2nd time was a director a few weeks ago who came to visit my store from head office......

both times was wearing my jsar

A few times in the army when the guys chatted about kit but only once as a civvy and funnily enough it was in hospital by my consultant who asked me about it and we had a bit of a WIS chat. .... At the time I was wearing a '69 Speedy and he had an IWC Flieger on .. I think the nurses thought we were talking a foreign language.... He did a great job on my op though... :D

I quite often get comments about mine. Normally because it will be some huge, flash diver on my skinny arm. It stands out a tad.

I once was asked by someone over a game of pool in the pub... "is that a real TAG?". I wasn't even wearing a TAG. It was an Ingersoll.

Usually it's me making the comments. I once spied a guy at the bar in a pub who was wearing a bog standard Vostok. I complimented him about his unusual watch and he himself didn't have a clue about what he was wearing. He was then subjected to a brief explanation about his own watch from a stranger. He had the thousand yard stare while he was trying to listen to me.

I remember was when I was wearing my Chronostop and a colleague was convinced my watch had stopped until I explained the seconds hand only started when you pushed the button.

I remember was when I was wearing my Chronostop and a colleague was convinced my watch had stopped until I explained the seconds hand only started when you pushed the button.

:lol: Nice one, Rog.

Never had anyone take any notice, in all honesty I think people are too wrapped up in their own lives to take any notice, could that be why they are getting bigger?.

Never had anyone take any notice, in all honesty I think people are too wrapped up in their own lives to take any notice, could that be why they are getting bigger?.

Good point.....

I once bought an Armani chronograph on ebay that was described as needing a new battery. When it arrived it soon became apparent that the seller had mistaken the unactivated chronograph flyback hand for a stopped second hand. :)

My mum commented on my Nomos Tangente Datum, she liked it. A friend/colleague commented on a Hamilton I was wearing (but have since flipped), he liked it too.

That's it.

few times over the years , heres a small selection :)

omega seamaster - 'thats not real is it mate? '

my old tag 1500 - 'thats not real is it mate ' , when told it was my beater and explaining what a beater was he looked horrified

vintage chronograph - after explaining it did not need a battery as it was a vintage mechanical i got a perplexed look and 'why would you buy something that old? '

dunhill auto chronograph RPM -looks nice mate but not as good as mine ( i was then shown a fake rolex that was so bad the gold was peeling off the bracelet links)

i often get shown 'family heirlooms' and have to remind myself to be gentle when they say its worth a few bob and would i like to buy it for 'x' amount that is usually about 300% more than its worth.

Edited by pugster

Another thought has just occured to me....out of 10 people working at my place , only 3 (me included) wear a watch...they rely on their phones for the time...........what's the world coming to? :taz:

I have a couple of times... although my favourite one was when I was in a department store and another customer took a good look at my Breitling and said... "Those fakes are getting better and better these days!" - I was so gobsmacked! But I guess its easy for a 40odd year old to say that to a 24 year old! :)

But I guess its easy for a 40odd year old to say that to a 24 year old! :)

Amen to that, i get that on occasion if I wear Omegas, the worst was when someone said 'I presume its fake', would have decked him if i'd had the chance

Edited by Thomasr

It's funny when people wildy underestimate a watch's value.

Was showing my Reverso to someone at work yesterday and the conversation went as follows:

Them:"how much?"

Me: "what do you reckon?

Them: "£200"

Me: "yep"

I like having watches that are less common.

I bought my 22 year old son Tom one of Roys 1950s NOS watches which he loves. When he showed it to his friends he said a couple of them seemed to genuinly not know that mechanical watches existed!

It's funny when people wildy underestimate a watch's value.

Was showing my Reverso to someone at work yesterday and the conversation went as follows:

Them:"how much?"

Me: "what do you reckon?

Them: "£200"

Me: "yep"

I like having watches that are less common.

prolly for the best , or you stand a chance of getting mugged on the way home :)

Guest Spudley72

As posted before, a work mate is amazed I will spend x amount on a watch but will think nothing of spending 6-8 k on a bloody push bike.

If you need to spend that amount.....buy a car, that's what I say.

Another work mate often comments and takes a peak to what I have on, I had 6 recently and apart from 2 they've all been sold, he is a watch freak also...he owns quite a nice gold Vertex which he doesn't want to sell and a handful of other mechanicals.

Only really friends, family and colleagues that know I'm into watches. Or people I've met through here.