• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum and have just had my registration confirmed.

I have just replaced an ETA 955.414 with an ETA 955.412 movement in a Raymond Weil 9125 case. The movement is exactly the same dimension as the obsolete 414 and takes the same hands etc.

The watch is running fine and keeping time and date change is spot-on.

However, as soon as the case back is fitted the watch 'ticks' once every 2 or 3 seconds but the hands will not advance - remove the back and it runs perfectly again.

I have tried insulating the movement with a plastic cover and exactly the same happens again - it stops working!!

Although the dial feet are slightly 'thicker' at the base and this brings the movement closer to the case rear cover, the movement still moves around when the crown is pulled, indicating that it isn't 'squashing' the movement.

The watch is a total renovation for an old friend and it had suffered from previous 'tinkering', otherwise I would have given up on it a year ago. The movement has no holding ring and the old movement had a battery retaining 'spring' fitted over the top to stop the movement shifting around. The new movement doesn't have this but has the battery retaining strap as factory fitted.

I have tried and tried and tried to rectify this problem and am now pulling my hair out.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

Ian

Welcome to the forum mate :D

I can't help you, but there are plenty of experts on here that will definitely be able to assist. Might be useful to post a few pics if you can.

I hope you get it sorted anyway.

Have you checked the gasket on the caseback?

I had a similar problem sometime ago, when I fitted the caseback without gasket => the caseback pushed the movement towards the crystal and the hands stopped moving...

I had a similar problem sometime ago, when I fitted the caseback without gasket => the caseback pushed the movement towards the crystal and the hands stopped moving...

The hands are nowhere near the crystal. I could easily replace that with a domed type. Thank you though.

I think that the dial feet are thicker than the originals that had corroded away. Also, the minute, hour and magnetic advance wheel keep popping out of the jewel plate so I am convinced that too much pressure is excerted on the raised part of the jewel plate. I can only now try to replace the movement yet again and remove the dial feet altogether and glue the dial directly to the movement in such a way that the date still changes. It will give another millimeter of space I guess at the most.

Strange though that the movement seems freely movable with the case back in position.

Thanks but there isnt room for a gasket on the caseback. I have tried fitting an ultra-slim one and the back wouldn't fit at all. The caseback is very corroded and I have tried to find another for almost a year so far, without success. Thanks for the suggestion though.