• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Igerswis

Looking For A Gym/daily Watch

Hi guys,

After seeing my Rolex slide onto a tiled floor (oops!) and general swirls on my other watches, I'm looking for an everyday watch that can be worn 24/7, in the gym, shower etc, and still be something that I can 'admire', ie not a cheap and cheerful disposable watch.

I used to have some Rados that I've sold over the years, the latter being dropped twice in the shower and shattering some ceramic links! Hence why I'm not looking at another one.

There are two Casio G-Shocks that I've been looking at, and was wandering if anyone has any experience with either of them?

The first is the Casio Frogman (atomic version):

qadubaqa.jpg

Pros:

Iconic watch

Rubber casing and strap won't scratch as easily

Holds its value reasonably well

Cons:

53mm case may be too big for my 6 3/4" wrists

Not available on high street to try

Discontinued model

Calendar only goes to ~2039?

The second is the Casio MTG1500, which from what I understand is the top end G-Shock now:

a8y5yqas.jpg

Pros:

Smaller case

Available on the high street to try

Cons:

Steel casing and bracelet will scratch

Watch dial look a bit 'odd'

Any help is appreciated. I'm lost with so many watches to choose from but I think a G-Shock of sorts is ideal for my needs tbh.

What bout something like this?? A bit nicer to look at IMHO, WR of 200m, good quartz chrono, not as hard-core as a g shock. Also more strap options.

PB200856-Copy640x480.jpg

Well I just bought this chap for exactly the same reason:

Casio-6846.jpg

I'm a very firm g-shock convert, but digital only. Anything with hands has to be a proper watch IMO.

Edited by Dr. Nookie

I've had quite a few G-Shocks over the past couple of years (understatement! :lol: ) but now slimmed down to 2 analogues and 3 digitals.

The analogues are better looking watches IMHO, but are infuriatingly difficult to set up the basic time & date. Impossible to even change the one hour difference to BST without looking at the online manuals, and even then it's still a painful and long winded process. That's my experience anyway.

The digitals are all good, solid, and reliable workhorses, and will withstand impacts with a tiled floor no problem at all. I'd suggest the Frogman is a bit OTT for what you want. Personally I think the Riseman is the best looking digital G-Shock by a country mile, and is crammed full of all the typically useless and unnecessary functions we love from Casio :thumbup:

Best idea would be to try a few on at a jewellers to see which is most comfortable, then buy one at Amazon :lol:

I also am a G fan and i think the frogman is a great watch but for you to wear everyday Work ,gym etc a Mudman or a 5600 would be the best bet.IMO.

but are infuriatingly difficult to set up the basic time & date. Impossible to even change the one hour difference to BST without looking at the online manuals, and even then it's still a painful and long winded process. That's my experience anyway.

To be honest I think they all seem pretty archaic from an interface perspective - too much iwhatever these days for that to wash.

Still, as I virtually never use any of the features it doesn't matter too much.

And I want another one, so it's not putting me off at all...

I'm the same, I never use any of the functions apart from the backlights...

I'm wearing this big fella today, and I still have no idea what the little hand at 12:00 does (underneath the hour hand in this pic) :lol: :

DSCF1270_zpsdfb22d2b.jpg

I was hoping it would be a moving second hand, but nope it just sits there and apparently does nothing :wallbash: The watch itself is quite cool though, and has plenty of wrist presence :thumbup:

most gym equipment these day have all the info that you need built in to them it works for me but there again each to his own i guess

got to be a G SHOCK H

I'm the same, I never use any of the functions apart from the backlights...

I'm wearing this big fella today, and I still have no idea what the little hand at 12:00 does (underneath the hour hand in this pic) :lol: :

DSCF1270_zpsdfb22d2b.jpg

I was hoping it would be a moving second hand, but nope it just sits there and apparently does nothing :wallbash: The watch itself is quite cool though, and has plenty of wrist presence :thumbup:

I'm not sure, but I seem to be reminded of a Power Tool company for some reason? :lol:

It's very "IN YER FACE YELLOW!"

Edited by mel

How about this:

D8820303-9A88-45F9-8FF2-AA9D2743B1A6-328-00000036C0C91592_zps57485fb1.jpg

200m WR

Titanium

Alarm (so you know when to leave the treadmill :D )

Chronograph (to time your ab crunches)

Perpetual calendar (so you never need to adjust the date)

Eco-drive (so you never have to change the battery or worry about it running out)

I have mine for sale here :lol:

http://www.thewatchf...showtopic=83575

Ask yourself this before you buy a G-Shock.

Do you want to see the word PROTECTIONevery time you look at your wrist?

My personal opinion is that all writing on any watch should be smaller than the time and date.

The OP did mention the fact he'd dropped his Rolex on a tiled floor, so I think the word "Protection" would be a more or less essential on his next purchase.... :lol:

I prefer the Casio MTG1500 but why is it that you want a watch for the gym? For running outside I use a Timex digital but in the gym all the info is available at your fingertips isn't it?

ive been wearing Gshock since 83 with the dw50001b then the dw5600c then the dw5600e and now got the g5600e solar model and the dw5600e as my beater,im also getting another dw5600c again soon as love the older screw back cases, plenty of g love here :-)

Wow so many replies! Never got any topic notifications for some reason.

Okay without sounding like a snob, I want a scratch resistant watch that can withstand being dropped and can be used while doing weights or swimming, and at the same time looking and feeling 'interesting'. Bear in mind this beater has to compete with my other timepieces for my attention, a cheap and cheerful Casio or Timex just isn't going to keep my attention.

There's plenty of watches for under £50 but they just don't excite me. Something like the Frogman has a cult following, and the latest MTG with its analogue and digital dial is full of tech.

I've seen some of the suggestions on here but there's no point in me getting another ss cased watch as I have plenty of those. So right this moment I have ordered the Frogman and it should be with me on Thursday. Should give me time to modify the inside of the strap so it fits better on my smaller wrist. If its not suitable for the gym etc then at least I have one in the collection anyway.

My AD is getting a few more G Shocks in to look at too, and if the MTG looks better in person I may get at too.

Will post pics of the Frogman when it arrives :)

Thanks for the replies guys :)

yep deffo the riseman i bought daveys one and love it!! also have the other one and managed to get it on a rubber strap, works well i think?

yep deffo the riseman i bought daveys one and love it!! also have the other one and managed to get it on a rubber strap, works well i think?

Funnily enough I've always like the features of the Riseman. The AD is getting one of those in for me to look at as well.