• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Retronaut

Uk Knife Law For Carrying Pen Knifes In Car Etc?

Seeing a Leatherman for sale on the boards reminded me that I would quite like to pick up a decent muti tool to keep either in the glovebox of the car or mounted on the seat frame next to my MagLite.

I've generally got a boot full of tools anyway but they look handy regardless.

Do I need to watch I don't fall foul of UK weapon / knife law and open to being accused by the Police of keeping a weapon to hand etc?

I'm sure there are plenty of real world regs I can Google but be interested in hearing from you guys as doubtless someone will know! :)

Many thanks,

Rich.

Vaguely relevant, I was advised by one of my students to not leave my swords in my car unless I was travelling to or from a class. :D

I do keep a leatherman-style knife in my car as it's a useful tool should you need to fix something minor.

UK knife laws link

Mike

Thanks Mike

"Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public."

Does that mean Swiss Army knives that need you to press the mechanism to close them are illegal to carry then?

Law states blade under 3inches and non locking,i carry a leatherman kick in my pocket with the blade changed for a leatherman file and I added scissors, i carry a spyderco ukpk, it's a non locking knife with a blade under 3 inches,i carry a leatherman surge or wave in a maxpedition organizer in my backpack, i also carry a swisschamp some days as a lovely pocket knife and covers most tasks,i've tried pretty much most multitools should so happy too help

IMG_00000179_zpsc72948d8.jpg

Edited by zed4130

Some of my Leatherman's, i've got a original wave as well,

IMG_00000119_zpsa5c26baf.jpg

Spyderco ukpk

IMG_00000196_zpse68df18c.jpg

Edited by zed4130

No problem mate,please ask if you need any help,I do strongly recommend the Victorinox swisschamp if you just want one handy pocket knife and add a dangler,I'll find a pic of mine,I pocket carry it with a home made dangler attached to my pocket,the sog pocket. Power pliers is another nice multitool and you can change the tools and buy other tools from Heinna Haynes .

If I carry a stick, a small penknife and a sellotape dispenser in the car, would I get in trouble? Could make a short spear in under a minute. :lol:

Up there I thought baseball bats would have been the more likely weapon of choice since they started sending people to Barlinnie if they got caught with swords.

:lol: :lol:

Up there I thought baseball bats would have been the more likely weapon of choice since they started sending people to Barlinnie if they got caught with swords.

:lol: :lol:

Those American cultural influences again, I can remember when it would have been pickaxe handles.

If you have a baseball bat or pickaxe handle in the car (or under the bed) that could be considered as a weapon but not a large maglite torch which is there in case of a breakdown in the dark (or a power cut).

I recall a case on a shooting forum where a bloke had an air pistol in the glove box, it wasn't in a case or anything, the police searched his car and found the pistol, he ended up having a holiday at her maj's convenience!!

The car was deemed ' a public place' so as other people had access he was carrying an uncovered firearm in a public place :rolleyes:

As to carrying a knife in the car, i'm afraid I don't know but over on British Blades they say that even to carry a legal knife (blade under 3", non locking or switchblade etc) a valid reason to carry one was needed, ie for your work etc otherwise a jail sentence could me meted out :eek:

John..

It's down too the bobby on the beats interpretation of the UK knife laws,i carry a multitool when mountain biking as has come in handy so for me a good reason to carry it but might not be there's,this is the reason I mainly carry my modded leatherman kick, you could look for a knifless fuse but pretty hard too find these days, I also carry a leatherman s4 on my keys as has a very small non locking blade,

Edited by zed4130

A lot of cabbies carry mag lites with them.

As for the knives, a mate of mine did jury service and sat on a case where a guy had been nicked while having his lunch in his car. He had used a Swiss Army Knife to cut into an carton and a policeman had seen it on the seat when walking past.

He got done for it I believe.

I think in public you should sensible, i've carried a pocket knife or multitool since around 1982 with no issues as use it as a handy tool and don't whip the blade out in public view.

i always carry my leatherman 300 on my belt in work and nobody including coppers has said anything....i am working on the refurbishment of the SCFC club shop at the moment and i was out in the car park of liberty stadium sharpening my estwing hatchet when an officer support unit went past, the copper driving just shook his head and carried on past me :thumbup: :thumbup:

There is a specific offence of carrying or possessing a bladed or pointed article in a public place. This can be used to arrest irrelevant of the blade size! Obviously the circumstances surrounding the possession would dictate whether you had a court appearance. Personally I take a leatherman or Swiss Army knife whilst camping and biking. Just gotta be sensible about what you do with it or where you use it...)

Well, I now carry a tennis racket or two in the car. Harmless except I've trained in Escrima so I'm happy. And my topspin is getting good. ;)

And praise the Lord for this knife law. No stabbings at all in London these days. :wallbash: (IIRC there have been 4 deaths last week, mainly WIS on black gang stabbings.)

Edited by shadowninja

Just to clarify a couple of points. It's legal to carry a non-locking folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding 3"/7.62cm in length - items falling into this category are excluded from the category of 'bladed or pointed articles' for the purposes of the act and you would not ordinarily be asked to account for your possession of such articles. However, you could get nicked for possession of an offensive weapon or going equipped to steal/criminal damage etc. depending on the circumstances in which you were found to be in possession. I very much doubt that these circumstances apply to anyone here. Anything that differs from this description requires some form of justification - I have a Leatherman in the glove box because it's a useful tool, in a place that's easy to access and I could reasonably be expected to use all of the functions if I needed to fix my car. The same would apply whilst riding my bike. Multi tools are pretty safe to carry, as although they have a blade, it is not primarily a knife - it has many functions. The key thing to apply is common sense - I carry a Swiss Army knife in my pocket pretty much all of the time, but if I'm off to the pub or a club then I leave it in the kitchen drawer. Regarding the issue of MagLites, yes they're heavy and primarily a torch, but if you clump someone round the head with one, then it *could* become an offensive weapon - just something to keep in mind... Hope this all helps.