• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
tcj

Dive Watch

I know a lot of us like dive watches { me included } but what i would like to know is how many have actually used them for what they were designed for and which ones did you take?

The reason i ask is i will shortly be doing this and can`t make up my mind which to take with me.I have a few........ Terry

If this is tied in with holidays, take the cheapest one that is unbroken, never had the back off for any reason! Then, when it falls off your wrist 'cos the strap breaks, or it gets lifted from your hotel room or poolside, you won't miss it - and it should still be ok with no water ingress. :lol:

If you do sea swimming/diving and it leaks, try swishing it in clean warm-ish tap water to dilute the corrosive effects of the sea water salt, and get it to a good watchie as soon as you get back :yes:

Of course, you could buy a cheapo digi thing that wouldn' matter what the hair-oil happens to it :wink:

:whistle:

I used to dive (many years ago when I was a student), and wore a Sea & Sea with a resin case, red uni-rotational bezel and nautical flags for hour markers. Seiko quartz movement. Probably about 38mm excluding. Nice watch, no idea what happened to it- might have sold it when I sold my dive gear.

If I was to take it up again, I would probably wear my Orange Monster. Or maybe a get a Mako?

Cheers,

Alex.

Dived in the 80's and 90's used a dw50001b and then a dw5600c, i still use this same style now for sea swimming and snorkeling, tough as hell and replaceable :-)

not too cheap , i baught one to take to the CARIBBEAN within 2 days the green/yellow didgits turned black in the strong sun and i ended up binning it but it taught mea lesson for my next trip H

I know a lot of us like dive watches { me included } but what i would like to know is how many have actually used them for what they were designed for and which ones did you take?

The reason i ask is i will shortly be doing this and can`t make up my mind which to take with me.I have a few........ Terry

Try a 200m G Shock.

Tell us which ones you've got and we can tell you which one to take, unless you're looking to buy a new one? :)

Well i have many.i will take my seamster pro to wear out and about and evenings.For swimming/scuba and the like i have seiko om and bm.skx009,divex 500 {which at the moment i am leaning towards taking }citizen 200m and a huge collection of G`s. Edited by tcj

If this is tied in with holidays, take the cheapest one that is unbroken, never had the back off for any reason! Then, when it falls off your wrist 'cos the strap breaks, or it gets lifted from your hotel room or poolside, you won't miss it - and it should still be ok with no water ingress. :lol:

If you do sea swimming/diving and it leaks, try swishing it in clean warm-ish tap water to dilute the corrosive effects of the sea water salt, and get it to a good watchie as soon as you get back :yes:

Of course, you could buy a cheapo digi thing that wouldn' matter what the hair-oil happens to it :wink:

:whistle:

I do have a couple of them.I think they have Timex written on the dial. :D

I've taken my seiko kinetic titanium diving to 50m a few times, used a few g shocks especially the g shock glide gl121 which was my predominant dive watch as it was cheap to buy, reliable and if it got lost I wouldn't be too upset.

I've also used the Omega SMP but in all honesty for no stop dives it's easier to use the digital if you don't have a dive computer.

There's always the chance of knocking the bezel on the non digi's and working out dive times quickly on a non digi can be awkward. My mate also lost an omega in Egypt when the strap broke and it disappeared from his wrist into the depths. I would be gutted to lose mine due to the sentimental attachment alone, never mind the cost.

Once I had a dive computer the g shock became my back up dive watch. I used to take a nice watch for post dive though...)

Good luck choosing...)

i have a Seiko Monster but its just too nice to take out in the water lol

could be im sufferuing with new watch/my precious...! syndrome though.

yesterday i went swimming and took my old G-Shock instead..

I used to always use a citizen aqualand 2, They have a dive log function which if I remember rightly would record, maximum depth, average depth, dive time and water temperature, and the memory would log 4 dives, you can pick them up quite cheap and easily replace rubber/NATO straps

Stu

I've had a submariner for about 15 years now and up until recently wore it every day, for work and play.

It's been diving in Egypt, Sicily and Cyprus but I always use a Suunto dive computer anyway so it's more for a bit of fun than serving any actual purpose, although it's nice to get it wet properly.

G shock dw 5600 can be had for less than 40 quid at the mo. It ain Divers rated but if you manage to break it I'll buy you a new one!

My brother is a dive instructor and he uses a dive computer but also a Citixen Ecozilla as a backup watch.

Rob

Edited by Barryboy

... Or maybe a get a Mako?

If it was me..., I'd try and avoid the Mako's.

Why not the one on your wrist in your avatar?? Looks like it might do the trick, nicely.

Interesting, any particular reason you would avoid mako?

They do seem more of a desk diver than anything close to a real diver but they are watertight and should be fine with diving I hope...

Why not the one on your wrist in your avatar?? Looks like it might do the trick, nicely.

That one in the avatar is my biggest regret.No longer with me and you bringing it up really Hurts. :wallbash:

They do seem more of a desk diver than anything close to a real diver but they are watertight and should be fine with diving I hope...

I was referring to the real sharks...

I'm not sure I would put a lot of trust (or my life) into a $100 "diver's watch" either!

That one in the avatar is my biggest regret.No longer with me and you bringing it up really Hurts. :wallbash:

I didn't mean to hurt you... but a Mako may (shark that is). I also think I would consider changing my avatar to end the pain.

Edited by Mechanical Alarm

Dear me, it took me a while to get that - I'm thick sometimes. Didn't realize Mako is a name of the shark, oh well... in that case yeah you better avoid Mako's :)

I'm not sure I would put a lot of trust (or my life) into a $100 "diver's watch" either!

I didn't mean to hurt you... but a Mako may (shark that is). I also think I would consider changing my avatar to end the pain.

If i could suss out how to do it i would.i have had a new iMac and i`m still finding my way.Can`t seem to get a photo from my photobucket to my avatar.The grey matter is a bit slow nowadays.Well now i`ve put that down in writing no doubt someone with a bit more know-how will put me right. :D

If i could suss out how to do it i would.i have had a new iMac and i`m still finding my way.Can`t seem to get a photo from my photobucket to my avatar.The grey matter is a bit slow nowadays.Well now i`ve put that down in writing no doubt someone with a bit more know-how will put me right. :D

Think i`ve sussed it.