• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

A Watch to Take All Knocks

Rex

Hi All

I am about to hit my mid-thirties crisis and am in desperate need of advise...

With my family's permission, and a long pass, I intend to go for a bicycle tour across/around North Africa/Middle East. Yes, before you say, picked a great time!

To use an old Naval expression, I am going to go schooner rigged. I.e. as light weight as possible, but I do want a watch that is up to the job.

My current suspects are a Seiko Divers SKX173, Traser S3100 and a Poljot Aviator.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Rex

Garry - I must admit it is on my wishlist.

I'd love to know what the differences are, apart from price, between the Broadarrow and CWC equivalent.

My only concerns with a quartz are the problems with batteries etc.

I do like the G10 type straps but I am currently drawn to Hirsch Carbon Sports, much better fit. Though Rhino are better than the Waterbourne, G10 don't seem quite up to the job by comparison.

Thanks, Rex

Hi Rex,

To be honest CWC are great watches, but I feel are a tad overpriced. The Broadarrow has a 10 year battery, so no worries there. It contains a Swiss metal jewelled repairable movement, screw down crown, screw down back. Dust resistance would also be important where you are going and this would do the job. Believe me Rex, this thing is very well made. The Rhino strap is about the toughest I have ever seen.

G.

Rex,

I done a review before the forum crashed...I'll do another for you tomorrow if that's ok, I've had too much white wine at the moment to make any sense. PVD Vs stainless is just personal choice, I quite like the look of PVD. It's a very very tough coating, not to be confused with other black coatings. It stands for Physical Vapour Deposition, and is applied in a vacuum using a high voltage electrical charge. It was originally used to coat metal cutting tools to make them last longer - this gives an idea of it's strength. You cannot scuff it easily at all.

Hope this helps.

G.

Tend to agree with Garry about the 10 year battery Broadarrow. I've got one of these myself. You can get it with the st.steel bracelet for a small amount more....about £14!

There's the O & W M5 if you prefer mechanical.

There's the CWC military quartz with battery hatch if you're on a budget, or the almost identical Precista, both on this site. Just carry a spare battery, and it can be changed in a minute tops.

I think the 1st option is the best. B)

• 17 years later...

I've just got myself a cheap jerome lemars chrono for work. Put a marine national strap on it, super comfy. It's solid stainless, sapphire and a Japanese quartz. Keepers great time and I won't be devasted the day I scratch it 

3 hours ago, artistmike said:

Seventeen years since the last post !!!!!!! ... :swoon:

I should say @lds1973should be commended for using the forum search facility. :yes:

Others take note. :laughing2dw:

@Davey Pcan you remember what that "unbreakable" watch was I got from you ? I gifted it on to a friend who has a history of destroying any watch in weeks, but he hasn't killed it yet. Must be about 5 years. :hmmm9uh:

• Like 2

This is the tale of my Omega TV Chrono from 1973. The original owner is a member at TZ, and posted with the following when the watch was sold on...

"I was a technical apprentice in the steelworks and when I qualified at 21 , my first pay packet went on a coach holiday to Spain , my second I took to Mr Glogowski , our local jeweller . and asked him what He could get me for £200 ... My first ‘proper’ watch.

He sourced me the Omega from Holland .. pre owned but NOS ... It cost me £180 in 1981. The bracelet is original .. it came on the watch.

I used it in the steelworks as a tool .. timing the pouring of molten steel in to ingots, start /stop or hundreds of times , it’s been dropped , hammered , burnt , abused, stood on, drowned , but she never gave up.

The crystal was replaced after I smashed it against a steel railing when running away from out of control molten steel spillage ... It looked like it had a bullet hole at the 7 o’clock position!..."

Since I got it, I have adjusted the rotor (it would regularly fall off...), and regulated it to +1spd. The hour subdial hand parks slightly to the right, and she's a bit 'used', but still a great watch.

Now THAT is tough...

Tk6vucd.jpg

• Like 2

:) If it was me? My Hamilton Khaki Field Quartz (Titanium SWAT edition), it dscent have the story of the Omega TV, but mine has been with me since 2003, travelled the world, seen some weird stuff, is regularly covered in blood and other bodily fluids.... Gets a boil wash every now and again :) I think I have done 4 batteries and about 6 straps :)

Out of all my watches, that is the one my daughter wants when I shuffle off, not the £x thousand pounders, my £150 quartz :)