• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I wrote sometime ago that I thought my (albeit little) collection was complete when I posted this image

IMG_1916.jpg

I had bought/sold perhaps 75-100 watches through the forums to get to a position where I felt I had tried pretty much everything I wanted to however, other priorities (and a sense of 'done that') meant that inevitably pieces got moved on.

Since that time I've slowly rebuilt up a small collection again. A few pieces have come and gone within that period. I'm now in a position where I really am happy with my lot. I feel there is a nice balance between aesthetics (style / colour), brand and function / functionality.

I'm not going to say 'that's my lot', but for the forseeable future, my work here is done.

And to the members whom I've bought, sold and learn't from, a sincere thanks to you. You know who you are...

P1000472a_zps063426ac.jpg

Left to right:

Seiko 6138 3002 (197? - does anyone know where the Seiko date calculator has gone?)

Omega Seamaster 176.002 (1972)

JLC Masterquartz (1972)

Doxa SUB Professional (1972)

Bucherer UDT Chronoquartz (late 1980's.)

Nice selection there , Absolutely love that UDT , Please post some close ups if you get chance.

Thanks.

I've since replaced the scratched xtal so it's pretty much immaculate...

IMG_0865_zps9ca34cf2.jpg

IMG_0869_zps0aa4c0cd.jpg

IMG_0874_zpsd3950506.jpg

IMG_0887_zps8da45ecf.jpg

Thanks for posting these pics..I havn't seen a watch for ages that i want more than that! I know there's a few variations of these but i like the hands better on the Bucherer.

Wish I could narrow mine to an easy half dozen... :)

The number of times I've thought that!

Great colection Stuart. I'm very surprised to see the Sub Date gone, but I think you've got a fantastic set there now. The Bucherer is a strange beast, but that's not a bad thing by any means!

Please can you post some advice on how to reduce a 30plus watch collection to five???!!!

Easy peasy, select all the nicest of the thirty plus, package carefully and send to

The Edinburgh Home for Redundant Timepieces

Where they will be hoarded along with the rest of the hundreds already there :rofl2:

Can't help with where the date calculator has gone...the link's still there, but it doesn't work...however, Seikos can be dated from the serial number on the back, and it's quite simple. The first number gives the year (but you need to know the decade)...the second number/letter gives the month (1-9 = Jan-Sept, O = Oct, N = Nov and D = Dec) the last four numbers are the watch's production number in that months run of 9999. So, on my 6139-6002, the serial number is 269593 which means it was made in 1972 (we know that 6139s were produced from 1969 to 1979), in June, and it was number 9593 in the run for that month, so fairly near the end. Hope this helps a bit.

Can't help with where the date calculator has gone...the link's still there, but it doesn't work...however, Seikos can be dated from the serial number on the back, and it's quite simple. The first number gives the year (but you need to know the decade)...the second number/letter gives the month (1-9 = Jan-Sept, O = Oct, N = Nov and D = Dec) the last four numbers are the watch's production number in that months run of 9999. So, on my 6139-6002, the serial number is 269593 which means it was made in 1972 (we know that 6139s were produced from 1969 to 1979), in June, and it was number 9593 in the run for that month, so fairly near the end. Hope this helps a bit.

Brilliant. Thanks Roger. 766660 makes it June 1977. The year and exact month my wife was born so this must be a keeper now for sure...

Edited by Stuart Davies

You sound like me. I eventually reached a stage where I couldn't stand leaving watches unworn or very little worn. Hoarding unworn watches is really the same as bricking them up behind a wall. It's the big contradiction of being a watch nut. Love watches - lock dozens of watches away from the world.

Mine do get worn, which why I tend to change them during the day & often go double-wristed :D

:D Now I would do that if I wasn't so scared of the ridicule. I've seen some football referees wearing two watches right enough.

Mine do get worn, which why I tend to change them during the day & often go double-wristed :D

:D Now I would do that if I wasn't so scared of the ridicule. I've seen some football referees wearing two watches right enough.

Strangely enough I`ve very rarely had anyone comment when I`ve worn two watches :P