• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Greentagman

What's The Top Price You'd Pay For A Quartz?

I've got absolutely no interest in manual or auto movements, which I guess is quite unusual around here (and probably grounds for a ban if I'm not careful... :lol: ) so I only buy quartz watches. The most I would pay is around £200-ish if I was feeling flush, but the average cost of each watch in my current collection is around £50-ish. As an example, I've got 5 different Armani's (more grounds for a ban!), all bought used from either ebay or here, and they would be worth £200+ each when new, but I paid less than £50 per watch. I should add, they are all near mint examples as well, and I really like every single one of them. Same with my recent acquisitions of four iTime carbon watches, which retail at around £135 each, but I managed to find them brand new for £40 each, and they are easily the best looking watches I've ever owned.

I guess my point is, you don't need to spend thousands to get a lot of enjoyment out of this weird hobby called watch collecting. I've got 35 watches at the moment, and I'd say at least 20 are definite keepers :thumbup:

If I ever come into a decent amount of money I'd love to own an Omega, but it would have to be quartz - Sorry guys! :D

When I was starting my high end collection I started with an auto first. Second watch was manual wind, and third was superquartz.

If your going into high end watches I wouldn't start with a quartz watch, but I would definitely have one in the collection.

Would I buy another high end quartz watch? No, as one is enough. Would I buy more autos? Definitely :)

Here's my quartz:

12607_10151308708672370_213286157_n.jpg

Prince Albert.

Clever! Clever!

Now, just in case you happen to be interested,the Prince Albert was named after the Prince Albert Francis Charles Augustus Emmanuel (Prince-Consort of England, 1819-1861). Whilst he did not invent the said essential item, he did make it fashionable. To him it was essential because of the exceptionally tight fitting trousers that he wore (and also, into turn, made fashionable). He beat the Beejees by over a century in that department.

Now despite the tight fitting trews our Albert sired nine children. Therefore I think it is safe to say that he was a heterosexual.

Anything else....

I have had both quartz and mechanical watches.

After all these years I will stick with quartz.

Why? For the same reason that I tend to prefer my CD player to my record player.

Less charm I grant you, but the former is so much easier and more practical than the latter for what it actually is meant to do.

Would I pay over £200 for a CD player: Nope.

I can't recall exactly what I paid, but I purchased a Tissot Analogue/Digital Titanium Chronograph whilst in Switzerland, it worked out just under a grand if memory serves me right. This was back in 1998.

I Just paid £840 today for an omega aqua terra quartz! Not for my wrist, its a gift for my dads 70th birthday!

bcf04d8ffd5538a84f9bddf26fd192ed_zps5800382e.jpg

I Just paid £840 today for an omega aqua terra quartz! Not for my wrist, its a gift for my dads 70th birthday!

bcf04d8ffd5538a84f9bddf26fd192ed_zps5800382e.jpg

A lovely watch too with what I think is the 1538 movement ? If so that's the same as the one in the Bond Quartz, a 6 jewelled movement and regarded as a pretty tough cookie ... nice watch, I bet he's chuffed ! :thumbup:

A lovely watch too with what I think is the 1538 movement ? If so that's the same as the one in the Bond Quartz, a 6 jewelled movement and regarded as a pretty tough cookie ... nice watch, I bet he's chuffed ! :thumbup:

Thanks, it is the 1538 movement.... He'd better be chuffed! I might forget to hand it over come his birthday?!

To put an exact figure to it, £1700-£2k for a pre-owned Rolex Oysterquartz 17000, which is a very good deal for one of the best looking rare Rolex out there, way more distinctive than a similarly priced ubiquitous mechanical DateJust. £1650 + vat / import duties for one of the more interesting special edition Grand Seiko 9Fs. The Yen is a little better than it has been of late. Standard 9Fs are coming in at £1,100 + vat / import duties, good luck finding a better watch for the price. Omega have slightly downgraded the dial on the Aqua Terra Quartz to stop it competing so favourably with the auto, but if you can still find the older one they can be had for under £1500, with the same case design and bracelet as the auto which is twice the price (though sadly without the beautiful blue dial of the 'Bond' AT).

The standard 'lot of money for a quartz' reaction to the above was born in the 70s, and comes from people who have swallowed the myth hook, line, and sinker that there's something especially luxurious about a mass produced ETA or chinese mechanical movement. While some quartz movements are 2 a penny, one wonders what makes the mass produced auto in any way better than an in-house thermocompensated quartz with accuracy well within 10secs per year and next to no servicing (30s/year for the OQ, and typical Rolex priced servicing, but this is a very particular watch). For that £1-2k you get a top of the line quartz caliber from a premiere brand, with the best case, bracelet and dial work they can manage. If you want an auto, let's just say you won't be looking at the top of the range watches and brands on that budget.

Edited by itsguy

I buy watches to tell the time. I like lots of different styles too. Of curse I like a "nice looking"! watch. To me (bearing in mind the money I pay) It makes no difference if they are auto or quartz...............obviously the money I pay, I buy quartz! If I could afford to pay thousands for watches? I wouldn't....I would swap my Jag for an Aston Martin instead.!

I think I could justify spending £500 on a Citizen with plenty of functions, like a Skyhawk, but to spend serious money on a quartz standard time keeper is not for me.

96.jpg

I think there is definitely something special about a mechanical or automatic watch. This may be because I've spent all my life working in electronics. I only have one quartz watch an RLT6. The most I'd pay for a quartz is £200.

Edited by Stinch

Ana-digi, I'd go to a Breitling emergency, so around 2Kish. For a ticker with a second hand, I don't think I'd go much more than £50. No reasoning behind it, I just plain don't like them :)

I may go more than £50, but i haven't had a quartz I have bonded with yet apart from a battered old timex expedition and that is because it doesn't have any pretences

probably max £200, but then it would have to be special

I got outbid on a Heuer 1000 last night and my max bid was £201. Sold for £206.

gutted, and this thread is to blame!

Ana-digi, I'd go to a Breitling emergency, so around 2Kish. For a ticker with a second hand, I don't think I'd go much more than £50. No reasoning behind it, I just plain don't like them :)

I may go more than £50, but i haven't had a quartz I have bonded with yet apart from a battered old timex expedition and that is because it doesn't have any pretences

probably max £200, but then it would have to be special

I got outbid on a Heuer 1000 last night and my max bid was £201. Sold for £206.

gutted, and this thread is to blame!

Hehehe! I wont it!..........................................................................Nah! only kidding! lol!

All these people confidently saying £200 is the correct maximum price for a quartz - perhaps they know something I don't.

Ok, I guess people are free to prefer autos, that's fine, I like them too.

But still - £200 each and not a penny more. Sure, whatever you say...

oysterquartz3700.jpg

grand-seiko-caliber-9f-anniversary-limited-edition-watch-sbgx103_zps3359536e.jpg

constallationmega650_zps98f86e7b.jpg

ATgrey7003_zpsd1f8c16c.jpg

I'd spend whatever I could afford if it was the right watch for me and have considered an X-33 and the Z-33 Spacemaster.

Having said that If there are mechanical or quartz variants of a particular model I'd feel like I was compromising if I went for the quartz.

I'd spend whatever I could afford if it was the right watch for me and have considered an X-33 and the Z-33 Spacemaster.

Having said that If there are mechanical or quartz variants of a particular model I'd feel like I was compromising if I went for the quartz.

I know what you mean in that I've sometimes wondered if an auto Aqua Terra would feel more 'special'. Possibly, if only due to it being so much more expensive! You'd have to convince yourself it was more special due to the large hole in your pocket. But is the less practical, less accurate auto without the independent hour hand 'timezone' feature actually £2k more special? That depends on how you feel about quartz and autos for sure, it's not a logical thing. But quality Omega quartz do fit into a long and proud brand history, something that they have chosen to downplay in the current climate for fear of looking less 'premium'. In a way, the 'last of line' Seamaster Quartz (before the depressing downgrade of the dial on current models) is a special watch in its own way, the final 21st century evolution of the ground breaking Megaquartz 32Khz, so it has its place and can feel like a choice rather than a compromise.

In the case of the Oysterquartz vs the 'standard' auto Datejust of the same era, the OQ clearly feels more special to me, and the auto feels like the compromise. Slightly cheaper, much less rare, less distinctive.

With Grand Seikos the situation is different again. As originators of quartz, Seiko take pride in their quartz watches, so here it feels more like a positive choice. Their quartz are not there as cost cutting entry level versions for those that can't afford the 'real thing', they are for those who actually choose to have the best possible modern engineering, accuracy, practicality and decades long service intervals, and want it finished to the highest standards. For me the GS Quartz is a unique proposition, one of the only attempts to make a truly contemporary take on a classic style - it's not a compromise, it's a very modern choice.

Guest robert75

I would quite happily purchase a Citizen chronomaster that comes in around 2K. The grand seiko is nice but doesn't have a perpetual Callander which I think at that price is a must.

I wish the manufacturers of expensive quartz watches would value their products more and show a little more care in assembly. I have seen so many costing £100s & even 1000s with the seconds hand flapping around nowhere near the indices. A watch accurate to a second or two a week or even a month should at least point to the seconds accurately.

There have been quite a few excellent posts in the thread from the 'quartz watches are perfectly acceptable' standpoint. A really good thread overall.

Anti-quartz or 'auto-only' viewpoints are just as valid and everyone's personal tastes are a matter for them only. This thread has gone a long way to showing that certain watch enthusiasts are comfortable with spending good money on quartz watches and are also happy to say so.

A quartz 'coming out' if you will. :D

Wow - I never expected to promote such a lively and healthy debate! The comments have certainly opened my eyes to the qualitiescofcquartx mechanisms so I won't be so dismissive from now on.

And the first of my books has arrived - I've learnt so much in the last 24 hours, not least that so many "house" movements are variants on a few key designs.

Loving this new world - but it could get expensive!

I always say that anything is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. The question should really be; is the watch VFM? That is, is it priced so that the buyer gets it for what he/she thinks is the 'right' price. That judgement has to be entirely subjective.

If a watch manufacturer thinks it can sell a quartz for £2k, it will. It it sells, it's the right price. If it doesn't sell, it'll be 50% off in the January sales. If it still doesn't sell it'll be a further 10% off... But the same is true for any watch irrespective of what's in the case.

The argument that spending £2k on a quartz gives you ultimate timekeeping accuracy doesn't stack up IMO, because for that purpose you could spend £200 on an atomic Citizen EcoDrive that'll give you all the accuracy you'll ever need and you don't even need to change the battery! Or indeed buy a Seiko radio-controller wall clock for £50 (as I've done) to set your mech/auto watch to. Job done. Also changing batteries can be an issue with divers in particular because you have the get the watch re-sealed every time, which can get very expensive.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more that £250 for a quartz. But in the end, buy what you like and enjoy :thumbup:

Also changing batteries can be an issue with divers in particular because you have the get the watch re-sealed every time, which can get very expensive.

If you are using a watch for diving, be it quartz or mechanical, then regular seal checks are common sense and to be honest, better done more often than the time that a battery is likely to last anyway ....