• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
richy176

Could High Street Retailers Be At Risk

Hi,

Very new to this great forum but recently read an article on the demise of Jessops, the camera retailer. One nail in their coffin was the improvement and expansion of the mobile phone market and I wondered if this could also impact on the lower end of the watch market. There must be a price point where you no longer buy a watch just because you want to know the time - not sure where this would be.

There are some obvious differences between the markets as a watch is so much easier to wear/carry with you all the time whereas a camera is an item that you have to make a concious effort to take with you.

Having said that i could well imagine that the younger generation would opt for the latest smart phone in preference to a new watch (except for the more enlightened of course) if that waas the choice at birthday/xmas time.

Thoughts?

Guest robert75

I am not sure what you mean by the lower end of the watch market, do you mean price? And if so what would this have to do with a high street retailer?

Most people grow up using a watch no matter what, its become a habit so I don't see watches of any description dying out any time soon. I know of plenty of people who use a mobile phone for the time but still wear a watch.

Nah. Video killed the radio star according to Trevor Horn but I doubt Smartphone has killed the fashion watch star. Mobile phones have had a clock for many years so it's nothing new. It's comparing apples with oranges.

Hi,

Very new to this great forum but recently read an article on the demise of Jessops, the camera retailer. One nail in their coffin was the improvement and expansion of the mobile phone market and I wondered if this could also impact on the lower end of the watch market. There must be a price point where you no longer buy a watch just because you want to know the time - not sure where this would be.

There are some obvious differences between the markets as a watch is so much easier to wear/carry with you all the time whereas a camera is an item that you have to make a concious effort to take with you.

Having said that i could well imagine that the younger generation would opt for the latest smart phone in preference to a new watch (except for the more enlightened of course) if that waas the choice at birthday/xmas time.

Thoughts?

A very intelligent observation, younger people seem to prefer phones for time. So perhaps in 20 years watch collecting may well not be a good investment. I believe there are some radio enthusiasts who prefer valve radios. Then again if you use a phone to tell the time you will not get a white stripe around your wrist when you get back from holiday.

A very intelligent observation, younger people seem to prefer phones for time. So perhaps in 20 years watch collecting may well not be a good investment. I believe there are some radio enthusiasts who prefer valve radios. Then again if you use a phone to tell the time you will not get a white stripe around your wrist when you get back from holiday.

Just a white rectangle on the side of the face

Jessops haven't gone completely. I was recently after a Ricoh GR camera and discovered there was still a store in Bristol and phoned them. I was told that a number of key stores around the country have been bought and were trading under new ownership since April. In fact if Bristol was anything to go by they had too many stores anyway.

My son is early twenties relies totally on his iPhone 5 but also loves the 1950s vintage mechanical watch I bought him. I don't think the wrist watch (which as people have said is one of the few 'jewellery' items men wear) will go completely. Many will continue to be fashion statements and perhaps described as 'lower end' of the market and maybe people will want to go in store to see and try.

Edited by Stinch

Watches make up less than 30% of the UK jewellery market, so I sincerely doubt that mobile phone sales will be shutting shops.

That aside, the watch market didn't go belly up when wristwatches superceded pocket watches, or when quartz ousted mechanical, or when digital looked to be the next 'must have big thing'...

The industry will keep evolving, anyone who enjoys wearing a watch will continue to do so. Mobile phones have been around for one or two years now and have come with clocks on them since day one - if the watch industry was going, it would have GONE.

This is weird, but I know some people who have a phone AND a watch. And a camera. Seriously!

Mobile phones are no threat to watches, and they never will be. Some of these i-watch/smart/wrist/phone contraptions might take a couple of percent off G-Shock but that's it.

Last thread on this? Please....

I think its an interesting topic, the evolution of the market will simply be like any other market. I don't think it will be the mobile phone that forces change but like mentioned above, possibly the i-watch or what ever the next big thing is.

Like any product its up to the manufacturers to move with the times and keep an ever changing collection, when any company stop investing in their future then its very likely they wont have a future.

Watches I do feel are very different though, I obviously have an iPhone and do use that for the time occasionally but I am very rarely seen without a watch. For me, wearing a watch is like wearing my socks or pants....its just part of getting ready in the morning. I choose a shirt, a tie then my watch. I think most on this forum are going to be biased towards watches but I bet there are still many many people who have no idea about watches except that they look nice and keep the time yet still wear one religiously.

Last week there was a thread on the CW forum about whether we observe other people's watches. While I was in town, I was quite surprised to see the number of people who were not wearing a watch.

During the day I guess I look at other time sources just as much as at my watch, but I don't feel dressed without one!

Like most people on here I couldn't leave the house without a watch regardless of how many mobile phones I had, the watch will evolve I suppose and for some it is a item of jewellery .However there are some areas of work where mobile phones are a no go - military on ops and oil and gas to name two so I reckon the watch will be about a long time yet before being supplanted by another gadget. Best regards, Jim. :)

Smartphones aren't really about 'phoning, even though they're still called 'phones. They are mini-computers that can do more than a PC could 10 years ago. For that matter PCs, laptops, tablets, etc., can also tell you the time. And I've seen research (proper research, not just some PR-generating hockum) that indicates younger people are increasingly not wearing watches at all because for time-telling purposes the smartphone, or whatever other electronic device, does the job. Smart watches will likely appeal in a similar way - but they too are more mini-computer than wristwatch.

But for me 'proper' watches are about more than just telling the time. No matter what price point they are at they are works of art and design. To paraphase William Morris's famous quotation; you should wear either what you know to be useful and/or believe to be beautiful. So, they are part fashion accessory, part jewellry, part timepiece, part personal statement - depending on your standpoint.

In any case if smart watches are anything like smartphones, they'll be obsolete every 12 months.

The existence of high street shops is a different issue. Jessops went bust because it was up to its armpits in debt, debt, and more debt; £81.4m worth of it, but its assets were just £3.4m. When it went bust it owed its suppliers - ie camera manufacturers and others - £42.6m. Jessops couldn't sell enough cameras it hadn't paid for quickly enough to generate the cash to pay interest on its debt as well as business rates, rent, electricity, gas, staff wages, shop fitting, etc. So, IMO the general move away from high street purchasing won't in itself impact traditional watch sales.

Even if the low-end compact camera may disappear, people genuininely interested in photography will continue to buy Nikon, Canons and Pentaxs. I think the same principle holds for watches.

Watches make up less than 30% of the UK jewellery market, so I sincerely doubt that mobile phone sales will be shutting shops.

That aside, the watch market didn't go belly up when wristwatches superceded pocket watches, or when quartz ousted mechanical, or when digital looked to be the next 'must have big thing'...

The industry will keep evolving, anyone who enjoys wearing a watch will continue to do so. Mobile phones have been around for one or two years now and have come with clocks on them since day one - if the watch industry was going, it would have GONE.

This is weird, but I know some people who have a phone AND a watch. And a camera. Seriously!

Mobile phones are no threat to watches, and they never will be. Some of these i-watch/smart/wrist/phone contraptions might take a couple of percent off G-Shock but that's it.

Last thread on this? Please....

Sorry for this. Was having a bad night :blush2:

Still, the gist is correct, just without me being a nob.

The iphone is neither here nor there. Certainly no competion to the watch in all of its glorious types/makes/models.

I think it all depends on how good the iwatch turns out. I can’t see it competing with a phone due to its size.

But if I could press a button on it and say ‘beam me up Scotty’ and it worked I would probably sell all my watches. :D