• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Yunsung

Watch O Ring Gasket Question

I often see photos and videos of watches with their caseback opened.

When screwing back down the caseback, does the o ring gasket have to be placed back on to the caseback or can it be left in the groove of the case before screwing down?

It depends on the watch. Some gaskets fit snugly around the caseback while others sit in the groove of the case.

Later,

William

Thanks William, I guess what I am trying to get at, is that is either method fine for water resistance purposes?

It is a matter of design. On some of my casebacks the gaskets will roll over the threads and remain in place on the back. On other watches I have, the gaskets are of a slightly larger diameter than the threads and are best left in the watch case recess. On either type, you should be able to thread the back on a bit before you feel rubber compress.

Later,

William