• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Retronaut

Singapore - Watch Places To Visit?

Got a work trip coming up to Singapore before the end of the year.

Recommendations for where best to go for watch shopping loveliness please?

:cheers:

Rich.

Bump - no one been?

Twice

:lol: :lol:

You'll be falling over yourself, every corner you turn you'll find watch shops. Everything from 3 for 10$ to high end stuff that you just don't ask the price of, even the hotels have watch shops.

Where are you staying, the place is fairly compact and you can get around most of it in a couple of days. The main shopping is on Orchard Road whith more Malls than you can shake a stick at. Then there is the Marina area, China Town, the Vivo Centre. Down near Raffles Hotel as well has a big shopping area with plenty on offer.

For a browse at some nice hig end stuff try the Paragon on Orchard it also had all the other stuff as well. The Vertu phone shop had a Ferrari on display.

Loads to browse, I don't think there is anywhere else that has so many watch shops in such a concentrated area.

Enjoy :)

I was there a few years back, knew what I wanted and took a while to find it at the right price. I got the feeling quite few stores were trying it on price wise. Eventually found what I was looking for in a underground market. Swot up on prices before you go is my advice.

cheers

b

I was there a few years back, knew what I wanted and took a while to find it at the right price. I got the feeling quite few stores were trying it on price wise. Eventually found what I was looking for in a underground market. Swot up on prices before you go is my advice.

cheers

b

I found it cheap compared to the UK, their VAT was only 5% and you could get a bit of that back at the airport, I think at the time I think it was up to S$500 and everything was negotiable. Possibly because we lived there rather than being a passing by tourist gave us a bit better idea of how it worked.

Haggle hard and a good deal can be done :)

Where are you staying, the place is fairly compact and you can get around most of it in a couple of days. The main shopping is on Orchard Road whith more Malls than you can shake a stick at. Then there is the Marina area, China Town, the Vivo Centre. Down near Raffles Hotel as well has a big shopping area with plenty on offer.

Thanks - probably stay near Orchard somewhere, city centre anyway. Certainly not near work which is in a business park out near the airport and stone dead after 6pm!!!

I've been twice too, and you are tripping over watch shops. For bargains you have to go to the small malls in the back streets - Orchard Road is on the premium side

Also, take booze with you or a massive pile of cash!

I stayed at the Scarlett Hotel, which is small and bordering on the kinky side of things! It was recommended to me by a travel agent who stays their with her husband, a pilot for Singapore Airlines.

Singapore is a very safe place so don't feel alarmed about walking around on your own anywhere, but don't step out of line or the police will be on you! The public transport system is the best in the world too (that i have experienced) The food is great from the street hawkers at night and cheap - try the stingrays. Plus try the KFC - the spicy version served with mash and gravy. My mouth is watering at the prospect! The Raffles hotel dinner is like any good pub sunday roast back home, so why do that in singapore?

I was lucky, I had an expenses acc going but in the local bars where we lived you could just buy a bottle of booze, they put your name on it and kept it behind the bar for you usually that would include free red bull as well. Needless to say I had bottles in several bars.

:lol: :lol:

I doubt if it will be an issue for you but like every big city the main areas are fine but off the beaten tourist trail and out of the main city it was no different from anywhere else I've been, where there is money there are bad guys and you do need to be a bit careful. You just don't read about it in the papers. It wasn't always as safe as it was made out to be.

Well I'm here just now - they are obviously watch / luxury brand crazy.

Walked up Orchard Road tonight and I've never seen so many Rolex stockists.

Most interesting find so far is a G-Shock boutique in the Marina Bay Sands - no doubt top line prices there though.

More exploring tomorrow!

my mouth is watering at the thought of the KFC...

but try and stay off Orchard Road and head for the smaller malls - there is usually a watch shop in each one

If any of you have ordered from SkyWatches Singapore and wondered what the shop was like - wonder no more.

It's in this rather insalubrious mall in Chinatown.

(Have managed to resist a purchase so far...)

89DE87C8-C381-4B44-AA5E-DFDDB8836F73-12607-0000087C6D9E25EB_zps913d3ee1.jpg

38C4755A-AA49-48EC-BB78-F0F5CC13CB51-12607-0000087C9463BB7D_zpscbf43985.jpg