• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Cleaning Watch Bodies And Straps

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where do you get a tin of Jumbo Jet polish these days then ??

There you go mate: http://www.aircraftpolish.com/index.html

:thumbup:

Or you could just give Boeing a ring

"Painting versus Polishing of Airplane Exterior Surfaces"

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_05/textonly/fo01txt.html.

I'll need to try some of this nano technology on the Golf, it'll be a good talking point at the next meet I take it to.

"That's shiny mate"

"Yep nano technology son"

:lol: :lol:

I think we need to see a pic of your nano-polished car mate - I feel like I'm missing out on something here... :D

And before anyone says it, "that pic is cloudy"

DSC_0487_zpsa5519fc3.jpg

This is the "see through" nature of plastic polymers, they bond onto the surface chemically and are used on gliders light aircraft racing yacht hulls etc to repel surface tension

DSC_0486_zps95eeb1bd.jpg

The entire car,,

DSC_0488_zpsc9a735ab.jpg

The other bimmer ;) a 1993 750i V12

3988860024_large_zps8c483e03.jpg

Aha, that's OK then, I'm not missing out after all, it's just a couple of fairly clean looking beemers... :lol:

Getting back on topic, I just use soapy water and an old toothbrush, then dry with a microfibre (I'm talking about cleaning watches here, not my car, obviously!)

Aha, that's OK then, I'm not missing out after all, it's just a couple of fairly clean looking beemers... :lol:

Getting back on topic, I just use soapy water and an old toothbrush, then dry with a microfibre (I'm talking about cleaning watches here, not my car, obviously!)

LMAO,,, I use them on the car :pmsl:

If you think how expensive a car is and the fact 95% of people keep a £50 lawnmower in the garage along with all sorts of junk, and the poor massive investment car sits on the drive in all weathers, gets a bucket of mucky water thrown at it

That looks fine for cleaning a Rolex but wouldn't use it on a decent watch!

only joking.

:lol: :lol:

To be fair if you are able to remove the internals to clean the case and bracelet an ultrasonic bath with some proprietary cleaning fluid is the way to go. To dry it of afterwards rinse with hot water then wash it of with clear alcohol and dry with a hair dryer.

This was what I did after mirror polishing micro samples then a mad professor type, who was called Frank, would put it in an electron microscope and look at the nano structure.

:grin:

I can see that the ultrasonic movement could be harmful to some movements but surprised at comments about humidity from a shower. I would have thought that a decent water resistant watch, especially with a screw crown would stand up to being worn inshowers, saunas, hot and cold countries.

Rolex make (or made) one called the Explorer and with a name like that you should be able to take into the rain forest or up everest without worries.

I often use a light dash of T-cut for non-plated watches, otherwise just lens cloth and an old paintbrush. :)

.....As for the cars, it's just a quick slap over every couple of months........they're just a tool for getting from A to B with as little hassle as possible.. :yes:

• 1 month later...

In reply to the 2 above questions. I've had a lidl ultra sonic for a couple of years now and can highly recommend it , and as for cleaning solution all I use is water and a bit of washing up liquid , but I only really use it for cases and bracelets , if you were going to use it to clean watch parts then I would guess a proper cleaning solution would be advisable