• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Silver Hawk

The Omega F300 Cone Topic

Ketil and Andy posted some great information about the Omega f300 Cone cases etc in Streety's topic but it would be good to have a topic dedicated to capturing this info. So I'll start off with pasting in Ketil's summary of the case numbers etc followed by some photos of mine:

• 198.012 - Crown at 2 cal 1250, 17mm strap or bracelet.
  • 198.013 - Crown at 3, cal 1250, 17mm strap or bracelet
  • 198.008 - Crown at 3, cal 1250, integrated bracelet, Omega ref 398.0804
  • 198.011 - Crown at 3, cal 1260, 17mm strap or bracelet
  • 198.018 - Crown at 3, cal 1260, integrated bracelet, Omega ref 398.0811

The crown at 2 case came in both polished and with radial graining. Also the caseback was with and without the seamaster logo. I guess the very first version was polished and with no seamaster logo on the back. It also said just "f300Hz" on the dial, not electronic. The 1260 versions have a metal Omega logo that was either above or below senter. The 1250 versions have just printed text. So all in all, there are a lot of variations of the cone.

198.012:

White dial, black dial, bracelet, both unrestored

Omega-f300-Seamaster-Cone-198.012-Pair-U

Omega-f300-Seamaster-Cone-198.012-Pair-U

198.0008:

Couple of new-old-stock cases. The photos also serve to show how the bracelet / strap part fixes to the watch part...with the threaded ring. The bracelet / strap part has a cut away for the pendant tube plus a slot for a locating pin on the watch part....so this part is not normally interchangeable between the crown-at-2 and crown-at-3 watches.

Omega-f300-Seamaster-Cone-198.0008-Pair-

[more]

Edited by Silver Hawk
Update image URLs

198.0018:

Black dial version. This one doesn't seem to tie in with Ketil's definition for a 198.0018 as it clearly does not have an integrated bracelet. Wrong case back....or another variation?

Omega-f300-Seamaster-Steel-198.0018-1.jp

198.0011 and 198.0008

Couple of photos that show the difference in case height between a date only model (198.0008) and a day and date model (198.0011). The day and date ESA 9164 (Omega Cal. 1260) is a thicker movement than the day only ESA 9162 (Omega Cal. 1250)...and that is reflected in the case heights:

Omega-f300-Seamaster-Cone-198.0011-ESA91

Omega-f300-Seamaster-Cone-198.0011-ESA91

Edited by Silver Hawk

If you've got an f300 Cone, please post a photo...but you must also tell us the case number...it's on the inside of the case back and starts with "198." :thumbsup:

this is mine

WP_20130724_0012_zps64b7d742.jpg

DSC_09092_zps9b5066a7.jpg

a 198 012 - and seems to be 100% original

Here is a shot with it's cousins - manual, auto and electronic movements all from within a few years of each other

DSC_09132_zpsa3bc0678.jpg

Edited by scottswatches

Mine - 1260 Day/Date, silver dial, integrated bracelet. Caseback Ref 198.0018...

Cone1.jpg

DSC_0073_zpsd2e7207d.jpg

Given the cost of a replacement bracelet though, I'm not surprised that some of these have ended up on the strap-type ring.

Edited by Who. Me?

Any reason, other than aesthetics,for the 2 o'clock crowns and did they use the standard 3 o'clock date indicator?

Not sure what you mean Andy? The date wheel in these crown-at-2 watches is different to the one in the crown-at-3 watches....the relationship between printed text and tooth is different.

It's me being dim :wallbash:

For some reason, I keep thinking there should be the same number of dates as hours on the dial. Couldn't get my head around why shifting the wheel by an hour relative to the crown position shouldn't just cause the date to line up perfectly.

Obviously, there are 31 date positions and only 12 'hour' positions for the date window (or 24 if they shift by half an hour, e.g. the 4:30 position on the Xl-tronics).

Don't know why I got confused over that though.

• Haha 1

Nice example Jamie ... thanks for posting. And ties in nicely with case numbers at top of the topic. :yes:

Thanks Paul, bought from this very forum and hums away nicely. I fancy an accutron to keep it company when funds allow.

I noticed it fits with the integrated bracelet rule from the case numbers above. I must really give it a clean with the cape cod...)

Regards

Jamie

Nearly two years since anyone posted on this Omega Cone topic...but as I had a bit of spare time (!) over the Bank Holiday just gone, I thought I'd get my Cone stuff together and start putting some of them together.  The reason this hasn't happened sooner is that I've been waiting ages for 4 Cone dials to come back from the dial refinishers in the US...I've used them many times before but on this occasion, they have taken 7 months...they finally arrived last week. 

Omega-f300-Cone-Dials-20150830-1.jpg

A "before" shot:

Omega f300 Seamaster Black Cone Dial Bubbled

Omega-f300-Cone-Cases-20150830-1.jpg

• Like 2

Nearly two years since anyone posted on this Omega Cone topic...but as I had a bit of spare time (!) over the Bank Holiday just gone, I thought I'd get my Cone stuff together and start putting some of them together.  The reason this hasn't happened sooner is that I've been waiting ages for 4 Cone dials to come back from the dial refinishers in the US...I've used them many times before but on this occasion, they have taken 7 months...they finally arrived last week. 

Omega-f300-Cone-Dials-20150830-1.jpg

Is the one on the left a cone dial, or is it from an SMf300 diver?

I have a black dialled SMf300 in bits in my projects drawer, but the dial is shot, which is probably why I've not finished rebuilding it. That's a decent dial refurb though.

Dial refinishing is so hit-and-miss. Who did these ones Paul?

International Dial

And I just had them do a dial where they had a piece of fuzz painted to the dial, and black paint splotches here and there (on a simple Rolex 6694 dial). I've sent it back.

The job must really depend on who you get.

Dial refinishing is so hit-and-miss. Who did these ones Paul?

International Dial

And I just had them do a dial where they had a piece of fuzz painted to the dial, and black paint splotches here and there (on a simple Rolex 6694 dial). I've sent it back.

The job must really depend on who you get.

Their service is definitely not as good as it once was....I tried many times to speak to someone on the phone (having given up on getting any sort of email reply)...and failed every time.  Shouldn't have to wait 7 months for a dial refinish.